Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A talk on the mechanics for forum based RPGs  (Read 6856 times)

3J

• Mob Boss
    • View Profile
A talk on the mechanics for forum based RPGs
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:19:11 pm »

Hey guys, so I have a couple questions about forum game RPGs:

1. How do you handle things like group movement and the like. It seems to me that when you use a medium like the forums, you're going to run into problems with actions being taken and lag.

2. How do you handle some people being online and others not online? Entire conversations must happen where only two people are talking and the others appear to be standing about silently, even if the conversation is something that their character would probably be interested in.

I'm seriously curious,
3J

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
Re: A talk on the mechanics for forum based RPGs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »

Hey guys, so I have a couple questions about forum game RPGs:

1. How do you handle things like group movement and the like. It seems to me that when you use a medium like the forums, you're going to run into problems with actions being taken and lag.

2. How do you handle some people being online and others not online? Entire conversations must happen where only two people are talking and the others appear to be standing about silently, even if the conversation is something that their character would probably be interested in.

I'm seriously curious,
3J

1. We run at a (usual) pace of at least 1 post/24 hours, though most of us post waaaay more. Group movement generally only requires 1 post, and even if someone didn't post that they followed the group, we just assume for them. (This is only a problem when the party splits)

2. That hasn't been a problem, surprisingly enough. In Mythic Nippon, we have lots of different time zones, but we are generally able to get on at the same time each day, and get through conversations quickly. If it takes too long, we just switch to talking to another PC and make it seem like a 3 way (or more) conversation. Not to mention, most of the time we all love barging into each other's conversations.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:37 pm »

Yup, generally we have active people playing and state rules before, basically if the group needs to do somthing and 1 person isn't posting then if it's not combat they are assumed to silently follow the rest. If it's combat then there is some leeway and after a day or two they have 1 turn GM-D.

The conversations... Generally Charlie barges into everyone else's before they can lag...

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
  • Miya Sugai (Mythic Nippon)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:53 pm »

Aman got it about right for us. lol

The movement is the easiest since Berka can just pull us along if we take to long to get on and post but if we are split then we are likely in combat or close to it. Combat lag time is a little higher.

I've noticed plenty of coversations in-game that my character would have been a part of if I was online. But I just go with it and keep on RPing.
"Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years." -Unknown
“There's always another secret."    “I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:40:45 pm »

This could also shed a little more light on the subject -
http://www.bountyheadbebop.com/forum/index.php?topic=83.0

3J

• Mob Boss
    • View Profile