Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RPGs You Play  (Read 36297 times)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
RPGs You Play
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:14:18 pm »

So, what do the folks around here like to play?  We hope Bounty Head Bebop is at least on the list (or the intended list) somewhere – but what else do you like or recommend?

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs You Play
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »

For myself, I’ve tired way too many to remember, but these have given me the most memorable adventures –

Fantasy
Basic D&D
Advanced D&D
Second Edition D&D
Third Edition D&D
D&D Oriental Adventures
Middle Earth RPG (ICE)
D20 Conan the Barbarian
Exalted

Espionage
Top Secret
Top Secret SSI
Shadowrun

Space
Traveler
Star Frontiers
d20 Star Wars
Bounty Head Bebop

Supers
Marvel Superheroes
Champions
Heroes
Silver Age Sentinels
Mutants & Masterminds

Horror/Other
Call of Cthulhu BRP
Call of Cthulhu d20
Deadlands
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Vampire the Masquerade
Mage the Ascension

Of these, my all time favorites are Bounty Head Bebop (of course), Mutants & Masterminds (best supers game ever), Call of Cthulhu d20 (best d20 adaptation ever), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (damn good show), and Mage the Ascension (really cool magic system).

BZ
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:17:50 pm by BerkaZerka »

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:30 pm »

I happen to like cthopoly!!!!! honey!!!!

Silvermane

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »

So, what do the folks around here like to play?  We hope Bounty Head Bebop is at least on the list (or the intended list) somewhere – but what else do you like or recommend?

Ah well, since I've registered I might as well liven up the board a bit. I too have played quite a few RPGs; my tastes have changed massively over the years, too. But here's what I've kept and wholeheartedly recommend.

Fantasy:
Sorcerer (/w Sorcerer & Sword. And simply because the Dictionary of Mu consists of compiled awesomeness.)
The Barbarians of Lemuria
Stormbringer (preferrably the older editions)
Mazes and Minotaurs (mostly because it's a hilarious read, but it's a nice retro game, too)

Horror:
KULT
Dread - The First Book of Pandemonium
SLA Industries (Yeah, I know...it looks like a SF-RPG. But it isn't.)
Angel

SciFi:
Blue Planet
Fading Suns
Starblazer Aventures
Hellas
3:16 - Carnage Amongst The Stars

Superheroes:
Never could get into that genre. Just doesn't gel with me

Bounty Head Bebop doesn't quite fit my usual genre classifications; at it's heart, it's closer to film noir, interspersed with a lot of action movie aesthetics. The tech level is closer to classic cyberpunk, but without the 80ies style icons, despite there being megacorporations. It ain't transhumanism either, since the protagonists remain human - no uploaded ghosts or full conversion 'borgs.

If I was to run it (unlikely, but hey, a man can dream) I'd probably gun for something along the lines of the seven samurai (or rather, the magnificent seven) as introduction, kill off the NPC (dramatically, of course) and let the rest (the players) wander off to make a living as bounty hunters. That way, they're likely to form bonds.

-Silver
Rule 6: If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. Rule 34: If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun. Rule 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:07:54 am »

Wow, that’s some pretty cool (and Old School) games there. 

Some I’ve never even heard of, and of them all, I’ve only ever played Angel (if we’re talking the Buffy type and not some other Angels and Demons thing)  :)

Stormbringer is a game I’ve always wanted to play but never got the chance (along with Pendragon I think it was called?).

Starblazer Aventures?  You mean like the old cartoon Starblazers?  That would be pretty sweet!

BZ
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:11:13 am by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

I happen to like cthopoly!!!!! honey!!!!

Thanks for the kind words - though Cthopoly isn't quite an RPG.  I know you've played D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and Bounty Head Bebop - what else?  Oh, and we did that Warhammer RPG at GenCon 2007  :)

BZ

Silvermane

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

Stormbringer is a game I’ve always wanted to play but never got the chance (along with Pendragon I think it was called?).

Starblazer Aventures?  You mean like the old cartoon Starblazers?  That would be pretty sweet!

Stormbringer is pretty old; actually, that was the first fantasy game that got my mind out of the dungeon (and into running "real" plots). It used a variant of the old runequest system (so basically, it's D% rollunder mechanics all the way) and the early editions were notorious for (randomly) creating totally unbalanced player groups. ("That guy? He's a one-legged begger from Nadsokor. And the one besides him? A melnibonéan sorcerer-prince who is 6th in the line for the throne...I'm sure you'll fit right in.").
A nice side effect was the exposure to classic Sword&Sorcery literature - Conan, Elric, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Kull, Kane...I had stumbled on a cornucopia of cool stuff, and most of it was available straight from my local library back then.

Pendragon was interesting, but didn't gel with us way back when ("Whaddya mean...my character is too old to go adventuring? He still kicks ass, statwise.." "Oh, that..yeah, it's winter, roll for stat loss, gramps..."). In restrospect, it's still a good system - lots of great ideas behind it (like that damage isn't based on the weapon, but on the guy swinging it, as well as the personality system. Good stuff!)

Starblazer Adventures is based on a british comic named Starblazer (no "s"!), however - you could say that one was the british equivalent of the Heavy Metal Magazine, with more emphasis on action than on scantily-clad females. The guys over at Cubicle 7 got the license and made a remarkable RPG out of it. You can take a look at it here. Since I'm mentioned in the credits (mostly for errata), I'll leave it at that. It's a pretty generic SF-system, so I'm rather confident it could do Starblazers, too.

-Silver
Rule 6: If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. Rule 34: If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun. Rule 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »

Ah, Runequest is one I own from way back, but never got to play that either  :(

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »

I liked that adventure "pigskabs skewl of wizards" . I played this at Gen-Con 2007. I will tell you one I absolutely hated. It was an LARP. It was not what he advertised, and it was boring to beat all hell. I could not wait for it to be over. I still could not tell you what it was about. Not a clue. I also like BHB. I especially like the "hexslinger" ( still a secret, SHHH!!) I also love the screaming cows of Velociraptor Rhapsody. Cant beat em.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »

*Bump*

Anyone else?

BZ

azhrei331

• Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • The Lonely Die
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:34 pm »

if my icon doesn't give it away, i am a little partial to my own, the Lonely Die System.  although the system is designed as a generic engine capable of running any kind of game, i definitely favor the Setting Additions i created for The Dresden Files and the Death Gate Cycle universes.  for anyone interested in checking out my game, please visit www.lonelydie.com

now that the free pimping is done...the other i favor....

for d20 settings, i have my grand trifecta of Dragonlance, Midnight, and Scarred Lands (White Wolf will never be forgiven!!!)

i am a huge fan of the oWoD and 1st edition Exalted by White Wolf, but the new stuff is crap in my humble opinion.

always up for a CoC game...i'm sure i have some SAN left in my pocket somewhere....nope, just lint.

currently, i am running a game of Unknown Armies online through Fantasy Grounds tabletop network.
It's game time...do you know where your d12's are? www.lonelydie.com

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:11:42 pm »

Hehe, as one of your players in most of those classics you listed, I have to agree – especially with Exalted – the first edition rocked.

I also have to say that I really liked the Harry Potter setting and games we played with your system, as it was in the early days of development.

I certainly encourage folks to go check it out :)

BZ

Braddock

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:24 am »

Hang on now. You've got a game based in the Death Gate Cycle universe?! I love that series! It's one of the few books/series that I've read more then once. That is awesomeness wrapped up in some kinda delicious taco shell of flavor explosion... that's awesome.
I'll come back to talking about what I play/have later. I've gotta check this out first :o

azhrei331

• Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • The Lonely Die
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28:44 am »

sorry, Braddock, i don't have my Setting Addition up for DGC yet.  still cleaning up the magic system a bit and need some work on the Labyrinth, but i'll make sure to post it here when i upload it to my site.  in the meantime, please check out the core LDS and let me know what you think.  any suggestions would be appreciated.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 03:38:24 pm »

So, I see some new folks lurking...  What games do you play?  :)

BZ

Ronin84

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 09:09:28 am »

This might be a long list...

Fantasy
Basic D&D
Advanced D&D
Second Edition D&D
Third Edition D&D
Fourth Edition DnD
D&D Oriental Adventures
Dragon Warriors
Runequest/Stormbringer
D20 Conan the Barbarian
Exalted
Chivalry and Sorcery
Pendragon
L5R
True20

Espionage
Top Secret
Top Secret SSI
Millenniums End
Mercenaries Spies and Private Eyes
Spycraft 1.0 and 2.0
True20

Space
Traveler
Star Frontiers
d20 Star Wars
Saga Star Wars
d20 Future
Star Trek LUG, Decipher and FASA
Space Opera
Bounty Head Bebop
True20

Supers
Marvel Superheroes
Champions
Heroes
Silver Age Sentinels
Mutants & Masterminds
Villains and Vigilantes
Super Squadron (I believe that is what it was)
DC heroes

Horror/Other
Call of Cthulhu d20
Deadlands
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
True20

I know that there is a lot I am missing, but I have been playing for over 30 years...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:31:18 am by Ronin84 »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:27:45 am »

Now that is a respectable list  ;D

Some real classics in there  8)

BZ

The Cowboy

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 02:54:08 am »

Fantasy
Basic D&D
Advanced D&D
Warhammer
Merp (Still got this baby)
Role Master

Warfare
Twilight 2000v1
Twilight 2013
Recon

Sports
BloodBowl (Can't get enough of it)
The Squared Circle

Space
Cyberpunk 2020
Shadowrun
Bounty Head Bebop (Hanging to get started)

Horror
Army of Darkness
Wraith the Oblivion
Vampire the Masquerade 
Zombie!!! (This is actually a board game, but RPG rules were made by a fan)

Historical
Pirates (Argh! Brilliant)

Not a huge list.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »

Sweet stuff Cowboy!

I got MERP too - crazy awesome crit tables - unless you are on the receiving end   :o

Got Zombies!!! too - And I use the 100 little zombie figures in my 'Did Somebody Say Zombies?' BHB adventure  ;D

BZ

The Cowboy

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 08:02:39 pm »

BerkaZerka Said:
I got MERP too - crazy awesome crit tables - unless you are on the receiving end
;D They were the first things I read when I got the book, RoleMaster took it even further.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 12:12:37 pm »

I think my favorite Crit dealt with a blow to the head and ended with the immortal words: “try a spatula” ;D

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:48 pm »

I played Vampire the masquerade and I have learned a very important lesson. " Never play with your husband over your shoulder saying PAN! PAN! PAN! to the left, to the right , Check for loot, Go back." That is what I remember of my game. It was fun though and I actually enjoyed playing with BZ. No offense intended honey. I find it hysterical. ;)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »

Just to clarify - that was the computer game, where pan meant to pan your field of view to look around your character.  Fun times though  ;D

BZ

Bounty BaboonBill

• BHB Insider
  • Bounty Head
  • Bebop Artist
    • View Profile
    • Check out ze art at Bill Werks Occassionally
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 11:07:32 pm »

Well, my gaming group has been together for about twenty years, in various forms. It's boiled down to 5 old-timers and a couple of 'new guys.' Heh, one of them, Jeremy, has been playing with us for 9 years, and up till late last year, he was still considered 'the new guy'.

Our round robin of regular games include:

Harnmaster
D&D 3.0-3.5-4.0
Mutants and Masterminds

We have tried a number of different games too, including:

True20 in my home-brewed setting (and college Thesis project) Valley Kudesai
d20 Star Wars
Harnmaster rules based Napoleanic Adventures at High Seas
Shadows of the Queen City, a Cincinnati-based modern Horror-adventure with a mesh of Harn and D&D rules

Right now we are in the beginnings of an Aces & Eights campaign.

I have a hellacious number of games I've bought and never played though..
Ape in Spaaaaaaace!

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »

I wish we had time to have a group and play. No time. :(

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 05:18:17 pm »

The bane of RPG'ers everywhere – a shelf full of awesome games and no one to game with  :'(

At least there's Play by Post and the occasional convention  :)

Oh, and Harnmaster – that I have, but never bought it to play – I bought it for the cool city maps that came with it.

BZ

azhrei331

• Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • The Lonely Die
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 12:35:28 am »

i have an active Fantasy Grounds game going right now, so online play is still alive.  not ideal compared to a live group, but we take what we can get for now.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »

Hey - let's pick this thread back up  :)

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
  • Bringin' a gun to a knife fight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »

Sure. I hadn't noticed the thread when I came onboard, but I'll be glad to contribute.  ;D

For a long time, I was playing Hero Games/Champions, but that's kinda gone by the wayside. These days, I'm in two F2F Mutants & Masterminds games, not to mention a plethora of PbP games.  :)

I've run a bunch of demos using Hollow Earth Expedition, my current fav game, but I've yet to get a campaign rolling, mainly because the only one willing to run anything is me, and I don't want to run, I want to play:(
Free-Floating Agent of Chaos. Reasonable Rates. Inquire Within.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »

As I already noted, I'm too a fan of MnM. 

I also love playing Champions/Heroes but that is a game I wouldn't GM with a ten foot d6 - way too complicated for my tastes :P

So, Nestor - you must've played or run some Call of Cthulhu, right?

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 05:51:56 pm »

As I already noted, I'm too a fan of MnM. 

I also love playing Champions/Heroes but that is a game I wouldn't GM with a ten foot d6 - way too complicated for my tastes :P

So, Nestor - you must've played or run some Call of Cthulhu, right?

BZ

Actually, no. At the risk of being stoned, while I've found some of Lovecraft's fiction entertaining, I've never been able to click with CoC.

I have a hard time playing in games where the heroes are doomed no matter what, or their options are so limited that victory is barely achievable. I just don't find it satisfying. I'm fine if the price of achieving the goal requires sacrifice (especially if it provides for good roleplaying), but being essentially told, "the world's coming to an end, regardless of your efforts; the best you can do is delay the inevitable" just isn't my cuppa tea. :)

The closest I've gotten to the concept was Shadows Angelus, an anime-inspired Cthulhu-punk game, in which the PCs were individuals with unique abiltities recruited to defend their city (and the rest of the world) from sanity-destroying creatures from a demonic dimension. One of the players actually built a detailed campaign webpage containing descriptions and fiction pieces we wrote. If you need to know, I played Nathan Carpenter, wielder of the Spatha Sancta.

As for Hero Games, yeah, I haven't run using that system since back in college, when it was Champions 2nd Edition. :)

Now Hollow Earth Expedition (or HEX, as we lovingly call it) I'll gladly run (but prefer playing in). The system is very easy to pick up and very flexible.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

Well, you might like my Call of Cthulhu games.  Bad Seed is Pulp Horror - that means like Indiana Jones or Hellboy-esque, you can actually do something heroic against the mythos.

Then of course there is my Call of PikaChulu game - humor pokemon/cthulhu parody - lots of fun stuff there.

My Penquins of Madagasgar will be also be bigtime humor/parody.

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:04 pm »

Well, you might like my Call of Cthulhu games.  Bad Seed is Pulp Horror - that means like Indiana Jones or Hellboy-esque, you can actually do something heroic against the mythos.

Then of course there is my Call of PikaChulu game - humor pokemon/cthulhu parody - lots of fun stuff there.

My Penquins of Madagasgar will be also be bigtime humor/parody.

BZ

Sounds interesting then.

At the very least, I do want to play in the Penguins run. Dibs on Private! "But, Skipper..."  ;D

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:18 pm »

Call of Pikachulu is a really fun twist on pokemon. I ended up with a fear of being touched by people or pokemons. Quite funny. I think the best is " Because Shan says so". Gotta play to know what I mean  ;D

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »

We have been play testing a friends game called Pantheon and it is becoming quite the interesting set up. It has it all: horror, humor and adventure. We had a good time playing it and we are looking forward to seeing who is behind this madness we have become part of . ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:32 am »

Yep, that's the lonely die system using d12's  :)

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:11 pm »

"RA" will strike again!  Whatever accent will "THOR" grace us with this week? ;D

azhrei331

• Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • The Lonely Die
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »

"RA" will strike again!  Whatever accent will "THOR" grace us with this week? ;D

I think the party needs to stop worrying about Thor's accents and just keep him away from the sorority houses!   :P

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »

I have to agree with ya.  ;)

Tommah

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »

Playing, or running?
I've only ever played two RPGs personally. The first was an all-human nWoD game, which I really didn't see eye-to-eye with the ST over (probably the reason why my games tend to be fast and loose with the morality stat, houseruled for even nastier combat and slightly less crazily-plotted) and a D&D 4e session that became a disaster, mostly down to me picking one of the least newb-friendly classes ever, constantly failing to land a single blow on a faceless, 1-hp goon and then really not getting on with the drow sorceress in the party (in-character, that is; the girl who played her is actually kinda awesome).

Seems I'm doomed to be the guy running things, although one of my friends who tried Shadowrun thinks he has a good enough grasp of the rules to try running that...

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:29 pm »

Either or  :)

I've had some good times with Shadowrun myself both as a player and GM.  Funny thing about the rules and explosives though, when one character decided to use four pounds of C-4 to blow open a door (rather than 4 ounces) - good times hehehe  ;D

As an aside, we have developed a fantasy ruleset with a Shadowrun-esque magic system for use with BHB to bring the modern fantasy setting to your table.  It will probably be out sometime next year  :)

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:14 pm »

Either or  :)

I've had some good times with Shadowrun myself both as a player and GM.  Funny thing about the rules and explosives though, when one character decided to use four pounds of C-4 to blow open a door (rather than 4 ounces) - good times hehehe  ;D

:o

What is it with Shadowrun and explosions? The most common phrase that came up in the one Shadowrun game I played with was "chunky salsa."

As in "What do you get when you roll a frag grenade into a van full of mooks?" 8)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:06 pm »

Nice...  ;)

and I am proud to say that my shadowrun adventures did in fact include at least one hovercraft chase scene  ;D

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 08:06:00 pm »

Shadowrun seems to be a popular game. I never played it. I would be interested perhaps, with the right GM  ;)

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:10 pm »

Shadowrun seems to be a popular game. I never played it. I would be interested perhaps, with the right GM  ;)

Not a game for the faint-hearted, and I certainly wouldn't use that system to introduce someone to roleplaying.

Shadowrun sits firmly in my personal "great setting, lousy rules" category.  :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:45 pm »

Not a game for the faint-hearted, and I certainly wouldn't use that system to introduce someone to roleplaying.

Shadowrun sits firmly in my personal "great setting, lousy rules" category.  :)

I have to agree here - it is in fact one of the things that motivated me to write up the BHB rules in the first place - and why I wrote a modern magic suppliment  :)

BZ

FaePooka

• Bounty Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »

Awww come on JP....you know you love Shadowrun. Now tell me again....HOW much C4 should I use to blow off a warehouse door?? Ooops, there goes the city block.    ;D
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Tommah

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »

Yeah, the fact I had to dig through the rulebook every time someone wanted to use a spell was kinda why my SR game fizzled, badly. I'm so glad the most badass member of the group was a largely cybered-up dwarf with twin shotguns and shock-pads in his hands. The guy who played him is planning on doing his own campaign, although seeing as he's mostly just done D&D before I'm a little cautious.

It's a shame really; WoD (old or new, I love them both) is a really good example of a quick, simple dice pool-driven game, despite a few flaws. The similar mechanic is what drew me in to start with, actually... XD

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »

Yeah, the fact I had to dig through the rulebook every time someone wanted to use a spell was kinda why my SR game fizzled, badly. I'm so glad the most badass member of the group was a largely cybered-up dwarf with twin shotguns and shock-pads in his hands. The guy who played him is planning on doing his own campaign, although seeing as he's mostly just done D&D before I'm a little cautious.

It's a shame really; WoD (old or new, I love them both) is a really good example of a quick, simple dice pool-driven game, despite a few flaws. The similar mechanic is what drew me in to start with, actually... XD

It's one of the reasons Hollow Earth Expedition, the RPG I run at GenCon, grew on me. It also uses a dice-pool mechanism; the author formerly worked at White Wolf.

Rbree

• Bounty Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 09:52:02 am »

Late to the party again... but here's my games list...  which is extremely old school.

Fantasy-  Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 1st edition.  Like the world and the system was easy enough and didn't get in the way of the story.

Horror- Chill 1st edition - Loveed this game.  1st one I really had a yearning to GM and wrote many original stories for as well as running most of the printed scenarios.  I am a huge fam of Universal and Hammer horro and trhis system let me walk in those worlds.

Conspiricy X- Basically X-files the RPG- one of the last RPGs I ran/played before a 10 year Hiatus.

Adventure  Hollow Earth eXpedition.  This brought  me back to RPGs after a 10 year absence.
I grew upon pulp books and dinsour movies.  This game was written for me.  I'ts a perfect mix of the generes I loved as a kid- ERB's Pelucidar Novels, the Travis Morgan/Warlord comics, Turock Son of Stone, Doc Savage and all the Rpublic serials I got to watch on our local PBS affiliate.  I may have grown uop in the 70's but I was awash in the pulp culture of the 30's and 40's.  So after two years of staring at this book and not getting it because I didn't role play anymore... and I didn't have a group to play with... I finally bought at the urging of of Bubba Hotep.   ANd I haven't looked back since... I've even copted the rules to run horro adventures.  It's simple story first mechanics and cenamatic feel are just right for my style of gaming.

All for One- a thrhree Musketeers vs the supernatural style game usin "ubiquity" the same system as the Hollow Earth.

Humor-  Toon- what's not to like

It Came From the Late Late Late Show-  Humorous late movie comic horror fun.  And in my games you wear hats... and occosianly lobster bibs.
So mainly I like games with edge of the seat adventure and opportunities for Dark Humor and sheer terror. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up