Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Transylvanian Chronicles OOC 1  (Read 459777 times)

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Transylvanian Chronicles OOC 1
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:46 pm »

It's like saying you're a necromancer because you can see spirits, or that you're a Master of wind because you can carry your whispers.

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:02 pm »

See, just because you have a single level in something doesn't mean you really "have" that discipline.
THough I only have two levels...
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you still don't succeed, then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
  --  W.C. Fields

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »

THough I only have two levels...

You have precisely 0 levels of Auspex XD

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2015, 11:21:35 pm »

You have precisely 0 levels of Auspex XD
Celerity, Auspex, same thing.
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you still don't succeed, then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
  --  W.C. Fields

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:51 am »

Celerity, Auspex, same thing.

HURRAY! I have Celerity!!!  ;D

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2015, 10:34:27 am »

Also, picky picky I know, but apparently Kindred invented gender equality.  Not to mention, at this time literacy shouldn't be a given. 

The whole point of a chronicle spanning 800 years shouldn't be just "get more powerful."  It's that the world changes.  Not just enemy types, or new weaponry.  Aesthetically, ethically, the world now isn't like it was 800 years ago.  Being a vampire should be about things like whether you change when the world does, or hold on to your old self- and that should and would affect what happens to you.

It's one of my pet peeves, I know, when 11th century characters, or fantasy races, or whatever- have the mindset and worldviews of modern day people. It's just ingrained in most people, the assumption that our current sense of aesthetics has always been, that what we find ethical and moral is the way people have always thought-- or that that's the way they should have thought.  (Like how the hero characters always embrace feminism instantly once it's pointed out to them that women are people.)

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:16 am »

Edit: It's been pointed out to me that "no one wants to play with the history police."

I know, it's just a game & the point is to have fun.

I'm interested in the ideas I've mentioned as an intellectual discussion. I don't get to talk to many halfway-intelligent people in daily life.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2015, 11:58:56 am »

Also, picky picky I know, but apparently Kindred invented gender equality.  Not to mention, at this time literacy shouldn't be a given. 

It's one of my pet peeves, I know, when 11th century characters, or fantasy races, or whatever- have the mindset and worldviews of modern day people. It's just ingrained in most people, the assumption that our current sense of aesthetics has always been, that what we find ethical and moral is the way people have always thought-- or that that's the way they should have thought.  (Like how the hero characters always embrace feminism instantly once it's pointed out to them that women are people.)

The whole point of a chronicle spanning 800 years shouldn't be just "get more powerful."  It's that the world changes.  Not just enemy types, or new weaponry.  Aesthetically, ethically, the world now isn't like it was 800 years ago.  Being a vampire should be about things like whether you change when the world does, or hold on to your old self- and that should and would affect what happens to you.

Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure the kindred don't consider themselves in terms of gender since they're no longer human, they've all been granted the abilities of these dark angels, they're all cursed and blessed with these powers. The elders especially don't care, since they usually just alter themselves over the centuries for some variety (see: every Tzimisce ever. Yorak was embraced as a woman, her preferred form is a feeble old man).

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2015, 12:41:02 pm »

To be honest I much prefere that things fit the time and setting as if they widely vary then it causes a disconnect for me and breaks Emerson of the game.

On the other hand there are games that it's fine in, like black suits as the entire premise is that the understood state of the world is really an incorrect facade.

WOD kind of feels in the middle as there are aspects that are very specifically the time setting while other aspects don't fit. In this my issue is more working out how the supernatural society fits and how to act in it. I ovbiously gave up on that with Charlie but plan to do it again with ?Gorn and Heldric.

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »

Plus, when a female vampire can crush you just as easily as a male vampire, I would assume that the race eventually discarded any ideas of inequality. Not to mention the fact that female nobles were still treated pretty well and some were even trusted with ruling small pockets of land (I'm not sure if that specifically applies to the Hungarian region) so the richer female PCs should be treated fairly well by mortals anyway. Now, if you were a poor female the mortals would undoubtably treat you like shit.

Sylvian's just gonna treat every commoner like shit though, so no need to worry about that XD
  --  W.C. Fields

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »

Plus, when a female vampire can crush you just as easily as a male vampire, I would assume that the race eventually discarded any ideas of inequality. Not to mention the fact that female nobles were still treated pretty well and some were even trusted with ruling small pockets of land (I'm not sure if that specifically applies to the Hungarian region) so the richer female PCs should be treated fairly well by mortals anyway. Now, if you were a poor female the mortals would undoubtably treat you like shit.

Sylvian's just gonna treat every commoner like shit though, so no need to worry about that XD

Sylvain is a commoner.  Unless Drak is saying we can just assume nobility for our mortal lives with no point cost? 

I forget, I think Lucien might have something like that?

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2015, 02:04:46 pm »

Sylvain is a commoner.  Unless Drak is saying we can just assume nobility for our mortal lives with no point cost? 

If kinda fits that despite being a commoner, he moves in noble circles and aspires to such. Therefore acts like one to those he sees as 'below his station' now that he is famous and moves in high society.

How the Nobles think of the way he acts would be interesting though.

There are many stories of the old English courts where members of 'The Court' including servants, entertainers and other commoners took on huge egos, airs and graces and treated other commoners like crap as they believed simply being part of that social situation made them better than others.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »

It's assumed that that's where his money comes from. Thing is, doesn't matter if you were nobility before the embrace, you can't rule over a mortal family as a vampire, it would be obvious you're not aging and then you'd be killed. You don't get to keep your old family here. So if he was a noble, he isn't anymore, simply enough. Just a travelling rich dude, living off whatever funds he took with him when he left.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2015, 04:13:16 pm »

It's assumed that that's where his money comes from. Thing is, doesn't matter if you were nobility before the embrace, you can't rule over a mortal family as a vampire, it would be obvious you're not aging and then you'd be killed. You don't get to keep your old family here. So if he was a noble, he isn't anymore, simply enough. Just a travelling rich dude, living off whatever funds he took with him when he left.

Yeah, cause your mortal family also totally didn't notice you took all their money and anachronistic artwork. XD

Right, so I'm asking you, does that mean I can write having been a nobleman into my backstory without spending any points on it?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »

Yep. Just understand that you get absolutely none of the benefits actually being a nobleman.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:40 pm »

What Background actually makes you a Nobel? Standing?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:55 pm »

Rank (Like the Status background, but for humans). I think.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:08 pm »

What Background actually makes you a Nobel? Standing?

Academics. XD

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2015, 09:45:33 pm »

A commoner with resources of 5 though. Enough to inflate his ego a bit.
  --  W.C. Fields

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2015, 09:46:03 pm »

Academics. XD
Hey, I've got a 3 in that too XD
  --  W.C. Fields

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »

A commoner with resources of 5 though. Enough to inflate his ego a bit.

Just to be clear, I'm not actually wanting him to be a noble at all, I just want him to picture himself as one (all the extra moneys just help me out a little). I kind of want it to where He thinks he's hot shit but in reality he's just an ass with a talent for painting.
  --  W.C. Fields

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:26 pm »

Armor

Once your players know that brigands on the road might use firearms, their natural reaction might be to buy some armor. Roleplaying games tend to have extremely liberal attitudes regarding its use. In many fantasy roleplaying games, for instance, the thought of heroes stomping  mail day and night is accepted as normal. To address the aspirations of players who prefer their characters to walk about like two-legged tanks, we should make two points regarding the use of plate mail. In answer to the first question players have: Yes, plate mail is period. In answer to the second question: No, most players really won’t want their characters to use it.

During this period, full plate is used as early as the beginning of the 15th century – it is typically employed by knights on horseback traveling to war. For a creature of the night, any pretense of subtlety is lost once he begins wandering the woods of Transylvania late at night girded to the teeth for an all-out assault on a neighboring domain.

For a Cainite in plate mail, Dexterity and Perception Dice Pools are reduced by 3. Movement is drastically hindered. Even Cainites using Celerity are slowed considerably. Stealth is impossible without the use of Disciplines; wearing plate mail increases the difficulty of Stealth rolls by 2. Chainmail offers three extra dice for soaking damage with considerably less encumbrance; plate mail provides five dice, but is not worth the trouble.

The sight of a warrior in full-plate riding into a domain can be taken as a hostile gesture, and may result in an immediate counterattack. If you’ve played Dark Ages, you’ve probably already conditioned your players to not bring polearms into taverns or draw ballistae through small towns. The same guideline applies here.

Note that my opinion on Plate mail is shared by this little excerpt from Son of the Dragon (and yes, by the second book firearms are accessible, but trust me when I say they all suck and are worse than bow and arrows).

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:01 pm »

Just to be clear, I'm not actually wanting him to be a noble at all, I just want him to picture himself as one (all the extra moneys just help me out a little). I kind of want it to where He thinks he's hot shit but in reality he's just an ass with a talent for painting.

Makes sense.
  --  W.C. Fields

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:03 pm »

Makes sense.

Are you... are you reassuringly telling yourself it makes sense?

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2015, 12:06:39 am »

Hey, I've got a 3 in that too XD

It was a joke about being "Nobel."

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:17 am »

Are you... are you reassuringly telling yourself it makes sense?

Lol I meant to quote you XD
  --  W.C. Fields

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2015, 12:30:55 am »

It was a joke about being "Nobel."
I'll go ahead and be both. We'll call it an illiterate noble
  --  W.C. Fields

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2015, 08:14:42 am »

I'll go ahead and be both. We'll call it an illiterate noble

Alfred Nobel. . . Nobel Prize. . . When it's spelled "Nobel," my phone autocorrects to add capitalization, so it's like the phone assumed we were talking about the guy/award.

To be a Nobel prize winner, you'd need to put points into academics (yeah ok, there were other knowledges that would work with.)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2015, 10:04:33 am »

But I'd be OK if I drew two ballista through town instead of just one, right?  ;D

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2015, 01:20:28 pm »

Alfred Nobel. . . Nobel Prize. . . When it's spelled "Nobel," my phone autocorrects to add capitalization, so it's like the phone assumed we were talking about the guy/award.

To be a Nobel prize winner, you'd need to put points into academics (yeah ok, there were other knowledges that would work with.)

I got the corny joke, and I topped it with another corny joke. illiterate Noble. Get it? To someone who can't spell they might think Noble was spelt Nobel.

I guess I could have said Dyslexic but it doesn't quite get the same amount of corniness.
  --  W.C. Fields

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:37 pm »

I got the corny joke, and I topped it with another corny joke. illiterate Noble. Get it? To someone who can't spell they might think Noble was spelt Nobel.

I guess I could have said Dyslexic but it doesn't quite get the same amount of corniness.

XD

It was early, I was tired.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • A challenge you say? Well i refuse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2015, 11:48:16 pm »

Cant frekking wait to get started.

And seth, sorry i neglected whitechapel while making Lucien.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »

And apparently it's not really called the Byzantine Empire till the 19th century.  The "Greek-speaking Roman Empire of the Middle Ages"  at the time was still called "The Roman Empire" and its citizens thought of themselves as Romans.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »

Unimportant stuff that Seth is reading about instead of finishing his character sheet.

Ftfy ;)

History doesn't really matter when you bring vampires into the mix and the only important historical events that don't involve fictional areas, locations and treaties. are a crusade that involves fictional characters, events and, yes, areas.

Also, dammit Seth, I don't care what the names for anything were back then, i'm still calling it whatever it's called.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

It's not unimportant!  I need that information to know who my character is!

Or are you saying none of that background shit actually matters once the game starts, so just write down whatever? XD

I kind of need to know what relationship I have with my sire; If I've been working for him for seven years, I can't just start playing not knowing if we're friendly or hostile, or indifferent or what.

I'm calling it Byzantium in my backstory, don't worry.  I just thought it was interesting that they didn't actually call themselves that.   

I mean, think about like, if you found out that a thousand years from now, where you live is known as "North American," and they think of Canada and the Caribbean as all being part of the American Empire.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »

It's not unimportant!  I need that information to know who my character is!

Or are you saying none of that background shit actually matters once the game starts, so just write down whatever? XD

I kind of need to know what relationship I have with my sire; If I've been working for him for seven years, I can't just start playing not knowing if we're friendly or hostile, or indifferent or what.

I'm calling it Byzantium in my backstory, don't worry.  I just thought it was interesting that they didn't actually call themselves that.   

I mean, think about like, if you found out that a thousand years from now, where you live is known as "North American," and they think of Canada and the Caribbean as all being part of the American Empire.

Your relationship with your sire is entirely up to you. He'll be friendly (and strict) if you are, he'll be brutal (and strict) if you're disobedient/damage his reputation, he'd kill you if you directly went against him. So, like any vampire.

Right now, depending on how you two are, he could see you as either his favourite servants, useful tools, unpleasant necessities or (later on you'll get the opportunity to get in much better with him) his own two sons.

cool74

• Cowboy
  • Sometimes good people do bad things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2015, 06:09:16 pm »

Nice another game I can watch being played.
Ideals are peaceful; history is violent.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2015, 07:13:50 pm »

Nice another game I can watch being played.

Honestly can't tell is this is sarcasm

cool74

• Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:25 am »

Honestly can't tell is this is sarcasm

Its not. I enjoy watching RPGs being played almost as much as playing them. Sure I am disappointed I am not playing but I am fine with it. If done well an RPG almost reads like a novel that has author notes at the end. I enjoy it.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2015, 01:58:02 pm »

So... this went dead?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

So... this went dead?

Nope. Waiting for the players to finish everything (Seth still has his char sheet to finish up).

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:22 pm »

So... this went dead?

When did Cool74 join this game?  ;D

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:59 pm »

Huh? XD

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »

^ Inside joke (I guess)  ;D

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:59 am »

Made a change to initiatives.

You can check the Initiative thread to see the precise nature of the change.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:53:50 am by Drakilian »

cool74

• Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2015, 12:54:29 am »

When did Cool74 join this game?  ;D

Must be really inside because the joke flew over my head.

But I been here all along. I am like Kellam in fire emblem.

Bo

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2015, 06:11:35 pm »

Sorry for not being around as much, We've been having rush this week so I've been trying to recruit some guys
  --  W.C. Fields

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:23 pm »

Okay, now all I have to do is transcribe the remaining character sheets and make Seth's ghoul/ally. Aman/Seth, I assume both of you know how to follow the format so if you'd like you could make the alterations yourselves, though i'll do them if you don't regardless.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:59 pm »

If I had my laptop Id do it. On phone it's horrible

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy