Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Chapter 1: Dark Tides Rising  (Read 302791 times)

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • A challenge you say? Well i refuse!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Dark Tides Rising
« Reply #400 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:32 pm »

Lucien tries to remember what he knows about the mountains. Seeing as it is home area..

Prince

• Mercenary
  • "We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:12 pm »

Steeple

Sylvian comments on this.

"It will be a work of art as much as a bastion of defence. As beautiful as it shall be practical - it might include some wood but stone will feature more than anything."

Leaving the rest of the group, the Gangrel goes to The House of the Red Hedgehog - where his brothers and the servant who had been sent to bring him to Buda-Pest were out enjoying themselves on the Prince's hospitality.

Arriving at the bustling building, gangrel searches the crowd of well-dressed noblemen and rich merchants to find his shabbily dressed brothers and the wild-looking Mordecai. Vincent and Mordecai are both loudly laughing at something or another that Wilhelm has just said, smashing their tankards against their table when Wilhelm looks up to see Daniel. He says something quietly and the two both clamor down, looking expectantly at their master.

Daniel strides towards Wilhelm and jokingly asks, "You haven't been giving Vince a rough time have you?" (Hopefully!) Everyone shares a laugh at this.

He seriously informs them, "You've had your time to rest up from our last trip, boys. It's time to move."

Then, he resumes his joking tone and concludes, "Put down your tankards and break whoever's heart you need because it's time to go!"
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. I'm fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good luck and let the hunt begin.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 06, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »

The various servants follow their master back to the house with the other kindred.

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 06, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »

Hoping to whatever deity there may be in the world that one of the books Daniel gave to Wilhelm as a child might help, Daniel asks Wilhelm, "What do you know about architecture, Will?"
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. I'm fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good luck and let the hunt begin.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 06, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »

The scrawny ghoul answers back - "almost nothing sir, I've never studied it. More of an art than something you learn sir."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:50 pm »

Once everyone has gathered again Heldric continues and addresses everyone.

"So we all know where we are headed and what we need to do. Our main considerations would be an architect, skilled workers and unskilled labor. Some of the heavy lifting of certain objects we can do ourselves if we so wish to expedite the initial phase of construction but for the rest we need to hire and co-erase the workers to our cause. We can most likely hire the workers through the towns closer to our goal and Steeple is providing the architect I gather?" He indicates to Steeple that this is a question. "Is there any other business we have here before we set out?"

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:28 pm »

"One last thing. If we get a hold of unskilled labor and pay them the first time, Lucien and I can ghoul them which can make them much more efficient workers than before; this being in consideration of our abilities." Offers Daniel while making a malicious smile.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2015, 10:10:29 pm »

Heldric mearly nods, he had thought about ghouling them but they would mostly be dead within a month which would hinder more than help efforts, spawning an army of childer is also out of the question. "I might just have Andres surprise them with the strength of the Nosferatu too. I have things to learn from this Gangrel though to aid in my future survival chances so I shall continue being nice."

"That may be effective, we must simply be careful not to arouse suspicion in the surrounding towns and villages."

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:56 pm »

Heldric mearly nods, he had thought about ghouling them but they would mostly be dead within a month which would hinder more than help efforts, spawning an army of childer is also out of the question. "I might just have Andres surprise them with the strength of the Nosferatu too. I have things to learn from this gangrel though to aid in my future survival chances so I shall continue being nice."

"That may be effective, we must simply be careful not to arouse suspicion in the surrounding towns and villages."

"Pardon my eagerness, but we can just tell families to relocate into our new tower. Moving an entire family means more workers! This will also give a reason to the neighbors of those whom we take into our service." Daniel reveals these thoughts with an insidious grin on his face.

Then, his face shades back into reason. "Clearly, this won't serve as a true housing situation for these workers... But with a little bit of persuasion and resource; it could work. Imagine completing this project months before the deadline! As well as a pre-inserted set of soldiers for the Prince's little roadblock."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:23 am »

"Oh, it will be permanent for the workers though" Steeple says, "They and their families."

"We are not just building a tower to guard a pass. A support village is also necessary to go along with it and (as it will be on an important trade route that we will control), it will quickly grow into something much more than just a toll pass."

"And yes, I'll hire the architects; one for the fortress and one for the 'Village of Steepleton'." ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:44:45 am by BerkaZerka »

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 07, 2015, 01:03:13 pm »

"You are not naming a village steepleton. It should have a proper transylvanian name. " Lucien said to Steeple.

"Now, if you wish to hire a architecht thats fine."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 07, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »

"Pshaw," Steeple says dismissively with a wave of his hand, "you all can name the castle whatever you like, but Steepleton is a fine Romanian name for a village."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 07, 2015, 01:52:51 pm »

"It is not." Lucien replied. "Did i mention i hail from Transylvania? I know a little bit more than you of the area and i will not have you name it after yourself."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 07, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »

"You will not tell me what to name (or not name) my village!" Steeple says, glaring at Lucian.

"My architects, my resources, my village!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 07, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »

"This is a team effort. we need to work togheter." Lucien calmly replies.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2015, 06:10:58 pm »

"On the fortress," Steeple points out. "The Count wants a fortress, he get's a fortress."

"I get Steepleton."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2015, 06:26:54 pm »

"You're saying you want to make a village, on someone else's land, claim it for yourself?" He smirked at him.

"You do that."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2015, 06:27:00 pm »

Anton

"Of course brother. Will you be coming with me?"
"Find them, and report back to me. I bring with me the abyss, and while those who revel in sin deserve to experience it, it would be best to kidnap the men with little to no witnesses." Anton replies.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2015, 06:32:17 pm »

"You do that."

"Watch and learn," Steeple replies, "It's called history in the making."

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:07 pm »

"Watch and learn," Steeple replies, "It's called history in the making."

"Aww! I wanted them to kill each other!" Thinks Daniel.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2015, 07:26:01 pm »

Heldric looks at the others "Well despite a few details it seems we are decided. I shall depart to hit with a small amount of the funds in order to hire workers to begin preparing the land in advance of our skill labour's arrival. I understand from the reports that we must clear the ruins before we rebuild. I should arrive as soon as the snows let me pass and can begin right away."

He stands and nods to each of the others in turn "It will be a pleasure."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 07, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »

During the next two nights, Anton and his new servant brother Joseph capture and force a drunkard from a nearby tavern into confession. They bring the man with them later to serve out the rest of his penance as a source of blood on the long trip.

Heldric initially considers going alone - but Maria counseled him against it, as the roads could be very dangerous, there was much more safety in groups. Andreas agreed heartily.

Vassily agrees to send Steeple's request for resources over to Prague, sending it over on the next merchant caravan heading there.

The group then gathers together and departs for the Tihuta Pass, starting their journey.

---

End Prologue
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:47:50 pm by Drakilian »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 07, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »

April 28, 1198, 7:35pm, Dusk
An hour southwest of Klausenberg

Fourteen days had passed since the coterie had left the walls of Buda – Pest; it had begun to rain on day nine and showed no signs of letting up. While they had been able to rest in various villages along the way, they found that they were unwelcome in a few as well.

Aside from a few difficulties finding sufficient vessels from which to feed (leaving them a little hungry and edgy, with no blood to waste frivolously), most of the journey is tedious and uncomfortable, but hardly threatening. Once they cross into Transylvania, the local peasants act uniformly abject and terrified of the “great lords who travel the winds of the night.” While some Hungarian nobles and Saxon shopkeepers may be fooled by the coterie, it is clear that the peasants know exactly what they are dealing with and avoid them if at all possible. Aside from small villages scattered throughout the Carpathian Plain, this fertile farmland holds few towns. Klausenburg, also called Cluj or Napoca by the natives, is the only large city on their way to Bistritz.

As the group rose they were met by Odi, who was leading the wagon train. He explained that they had been cast far south of their initial route but had finally made it to Klausenberg, which they should be only an hour’s ride from. He informed them that the mortals wished to rest within the gates - and indeed, they must be rather exhausted from the constant pace the coterie had been keeping them on.

Most know that Klausenburg, also called Cluj or  Napoca by the natives, is the only large city on their way to Bistritz, as well as that it has no current prince - the domain is free of any other vampire's control, they could do as they wished here.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:27 pm »

Heldric nods "Getting inside and finding a place of safety for the evening would be wise, we can all feed again properly here. In the morning as we rest, half of our ghouls can work on Gathering the info we need while we sleep."

He clearly intends to head into the city quickly and as discreetly as possible with a large caravan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:53:30 pm by Forge »

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »

"There is no priest here." Anton states. "We should make sure to keep us all well fed, fellows. The road is still long."

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2015, 09:01:01 am »

"Resupplying would be nice. None of us particularly enjoy being hungry so this will be useful. However, I'll be sure to keep Arnulf's advice in mind." Thinks Daniel.

Then he pipes up, "If this place has no prince, then we should take advantage of its prosperity and use the kine here to our gain; Workforce and Blood Supply!"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:06:24 am by Prince »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2015, 11:51:10 am »

"I would advise caution and treating the locals well," Steeple points out - "This very well could end up being a reward Domain for us, once we complete the fortress and prove ourselves worthy to our Sires."

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2015, 12:22:34 pm »

Daniel stops his train of thought at Steeple's wisdom. "Pardon my language, but hell! You're right."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2015, 12:28:51 pm »

"I would advise caution and treating the locals well," Steeple points out - "This very well could end up being a reward Domain for us, once we complete the fortress and prove ourselves worthy to our Sires."
"The real question is why has this village not been claimed by a prince?" Anton asks, aloud. "It's a village in an isolated area, certainly a good location to set up. There may be something off in this place."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2015, 12:34:53 pm »

"Oooh!" Steeple starts - "You don't suppose it's wolves?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 08, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

"Oooh!" Steeple starts - "You don't suppose it's wolves?"

"I doubt it. They are beasts of the wild, and we havent encountered them on the road. The easiest explanation would be that there is a strong presence of Christ in the area."

"It would be best to proceed with caution, unless we figure out what exactly has kept a prince from rising here."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2015, 01:02:48 pm »

"Y...You don't suppose they have nuns do you?" steeple asks with an audible gulp...

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »

"Forget about the nuns, Steeple. Christ or not, it takes more than a few religious humans to scare us off. If Christianity is truly the reason, we may be facing a hunter threat." Deduces Daniel.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

"'Forget the nuns'," Steeple repeats to Prince Maurice in his pocket - "It's not like they stole my arm or anything..."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2015, 01:19:32 pm »

Heldric nods at the conversation "It is highly possible these are hunters or those of true faith here, we must proceed through and feed here but we must also be careful. Shall we spead our guards between our carriages as we enter? We can keep a low profile while we pass through, I could spend a night assessing the area for us if you wish?"

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 08, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »

"'Forget the nuns'," Steeple repeats to Prince Maurice in his pocket - "It's not like they stole my arm or anything..."

"Inhuman beasts" the rock says quietly.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »

Heldric nods at the conversation "It is highly possible these are hunters or those of true faith here, we must proceed through and feed here but we must also be careful. Shall we spead our guards between our carriages as we enter? We can keep a low profile while we pass through, I could spend a night assessing the area for us if you wish?"

"I do not think we have the night to spend. It would be best to simply gather food for our mortal servants, and leave, not drawing much attention, and keeping our beast at bay, for now, at least."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2015, 01:41:43 pm »

In the end they decide to let the mortals have their rest, as the exhaustion would most likely soon give way to mutiny.

Brother Joseph took the reins of the lead wagon and before too long they were before the gates of Klausenberg.

Two guards waited at the gate, armed and armored wary looking men who stopped the wagon train before it reached the gate.

"Who goes there?" They ask.

Brother Joseph replies quickly for the group - "We are pilgrims in need of an inn."

“And what makes you think you’ll find one here, Traveler!” – The Guard asked, rudely.

The guards are clearly not too willing to let the coterie inside the city - so Sylvian intervenes, riding ahead of the group on his horse.

"We are weary travelers in need of rest, we ask nothing but that we have somewhere to rest our heads today. Please, let us pass." - says Sylvian with liberal use of Presence.

“Forgive us, we did not mean any harm by it.” – The Guard said in spite of himself, even as he pulled open the gate and the coterie passed through.

Klausenberg’s streets were nothing more than muddy footpaths scattered between rickety and worn houses, there were no more than a handful of shops lining the main street, which was dominated by a single, dilapidated church. All of this juxtapose to the sturdy stone wall and keep that surround it.

There was only one inn, not too far from the church; the Sign of the Traveler was its marker.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:53:54 pm by Drakilian »

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2015, 02:11:41 pm »

"So it is a church dominated area..." Thinks Daniel.

Daniel turns around to the exhausted mortals in the group and peeks at fragile Wilhelm who must be feeling terrible if the other regular ghouls are tired.

Then, Daniel exclaims, "Anton, it appears that your prediction was sound. We should move on to that inn and hurry our errands before our presence here is noted."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2015, 02:12:25 pm »

"Aargh! It's sooo close to that church!" Steeple squirms, hurrying his herd toward the Inn.

"Let's get inside fast, so we don't have to look at it anymore!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:36 pm »

Lucien nods.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2015, 02:18:28 pm »

"That would be best." Anton replies. "Brother Joseph, do you know of this church?"

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2015, 02:19:14 pm »

The monk shakes his head.

"I have never been to Klausenburg brother Anton. I could go in and ask questions if you wish."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:10 pm »

"It may the best course of action." Abton replies with a nod.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:55 pm »

The weary monk nods and gets off his wagon, heading alone to the church.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 08, 2015, 02:25:03 pm »

Heldric moves under the cover of the wagon so he is not seen then uses Obs to turn invisible before heading very slowly and carefully outside to investigate the tavern area, checking for dangers around the inn or for watchers from the church.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:30:40 pm by Forge »

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 08, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »

Kiril stays protectively near Sherazhina.  "What about you?" he asks her.  "Are you feeling all right?"

Prince

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:53 pm »

Daniel rounds up his ghouls and heads inside the inn while maintaining a cautious mind set. He makes sure that his ghouls are using the same train of thought too.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 08, 2015, 07:00:02 pm »

"Bleck! Look at this dump," Steeple remarks, "I can assure you that when complete, Steepleton will be a place marauders will be more than happy to sack. Not something worthless, like this sty."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 08, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »

Kiril

Kiril stays protectively near Sherazhina.  "What about you?" he asks her.  "Are you feeling all right?"

"I'm fine Kiril, just tired. We've been traveling non-stop" says the revenant.

Carinus, meanwhile, notes the surrounding area.

"If this is what is considered a city this far out I should hate to see the villages we will be dealing with near the Tihuta pass. You know, I think that I know a legend or two about this place."

Everyone

Leaving their wagons and horses at the empty stables, the group goes into the inn. It was crowded with locals when the coterie entered - yet the clamor quieted down at their appearance. The vampires feel many eyes on them. Steeple and Lucien note that many feel hostile.

Inside, Wilhelm and Vincent head to the barkeeper to secure rooms. The cotterie hears the following conversation.

“We seek lodging, we have travelled from Buda – Pest and are weary, there are two dozen of us, but we will take what we can get.” – Vincent says.

“Sorry, we’ve got no rooms here.” – The barkeep.

“What? You’ve got at least four rooms, I see the keys there, we will pay whatever price you ask, we only require a hearty meal and a good bed.” – Wilhelm.

“I said we have no room.” – The Barkeep responded.

The coterie looks the man over. He was large, larger than Vincent. His hair was the colour of toasted wheat and his beard hid a great deal of his face. He was a hard man, a proud man.

“Then please, let our horses rest in your livery, we’ll buy some feed and we’ll be out of your hair.” – Wilhelm

“We have no feed. You’d best move onto the next town, we’ve got nothing for your kind here.” – The Barkeep
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 22   Go Up