Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some confusion.  (Read 16125 times)

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
  • Flying bears, now THAT'S a scary thought!
    • View Profile
Some confusion.
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:42:15 am »

Alright. Now that I've found how word-finder on Google Chrome also works on PDFs, my understanding of BHB has risen significantly. I now know that weapons such as whack-a-mole hammers and enormous novelty erasers hurt your vitality points, (And your dignity points!)  and things like guns and knives and knife-shooting guns hurt your wound points... Unless Stun and lethal are different things entirely?...

Regardless, my knowledge has more holes in it than a stop sign in the backwoods, and I'd very much appreciate it if someone could demonstrate a round of combat or something to help me out here.

Also, a question about the book. You know the muscle man in the pictures with big shades, an intimidating beard, and a totally ballin' hat? What's the Star-of-David-esque thing tattooed on his upper arm? I think I saw it before somewhere, but I can't quite place it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:44:25 am by Arthesul »
Shitty shitters shit shitty shits shittily shitting shittier shits.
See? Fark isn't the only word you can make a sentence out of!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: Some confusion.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:48:06 am »

Check out the Night on The Docks section of the BHB Preview file - click the link in the News section of BHB (under your profile pic) or the Link Below.

It has a detailed round-by-round of a sample adventure.  8)

http://www.bountyheadbebop.com/BHBIntro.pdf

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:27 am »

Of course the 'Sample Skill Use and Combat' thread in this board is the exact same thing (only without the cool pics) :)

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:08 am »

Guns also go through vitality, unless youre making a called shot ofc. Lethal just doesnt KO, and for crits it goes into wounds. Stun KOs if the foe was only hit with stun, and a crit instantly kos.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:50:41 pm »

Okay, so how do I determine damage? That bit flew over my head.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 01:55:40 pm »

Damage is determined off your Roll to Hit.

Basically, when you hit someone, you take the ones digit from your die roll (called the X-Roll or X-Damage in this case) and add it to the Base Damage of the Weapon.

For example if you roll a 2 or a 12 the X-Roll is 2. If you roll a 10, the X-Roll is 10.

A hit with a roll of 12 on someone (using a Shotgun, Base Damage 10) would do 12 points of Damage.

The 12 Damage would first come off Vitality and anything left over then goes against Wound Points.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »

Aman turns on his team mate and shouts loudly "You never guessed but I am in fact a traitor!" And points his shotgun while laughing wildly. (This negates the element of surprise, poor Aman)

Aman wins the initiative roll and goes first. He aims then fires his shotgun at BZ. He rolls 13

Amans ranged skill is 14 so his Attack is successful. BZ fails his dodge roll with an 18.

The shotgun base damage is 10, the x-roll on the dice is a 3 so BZ takes 13 damage.

Then BZ gets his turn. He has already tried to dodge so gets 1 action which he uses to fire his semi-automatic in burst fire mode at Aman. He Rolls 7

BZ's ranged skill is also 14 so this is a sucess, Aman used both actions and cannot dodge.

The base damage on the semi is 11, the x-roll is 7 so BZ would do 18 damage, but he used burst fire which means +2 damage so BZ hits Aman for 20 damage.

There's a random example I wrote very quickly, BZ can edit for mistakes lol

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »

How did you set the TN? Is there a default, or does the GM set difficulty based on circumstances, or did it just have to be higher than the dodge roll?

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »

How did you set the TN? Is there a default, or does the GM set difficulty based on circumstances, or did it just have to be higher than the dodge roll?
TN is your skill in the, well, skill, +/- modifiers.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:54:05 pm »

Skill of 14 means TN of 14 in my example above. If you have the marksman ability then I think it makes things easier by 1 so a TN of 15 etc.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »

So, about this skill-tree I've been thinking of setting up,

As opposed to edges, I'm thinking of using straight-up stunts that characters can do. Players who go up magic trees will earn new base spells, melee and ranged characters will earn new combat maneuvers, and the maneuvers and spells would have prerequisite levels and/or other maneuvers and spells.

So, for example, the Dark Magic path has "Hack Undead" as one of the low-level abilities, which allows you to control pre-ressurrected undead creatures, which you will need in order to unlock "Raise undead" which allows you to raise your own zombies.

Classes start out with stunts/spells/maneuvers/whatever you want to call them in the middle of various branches, and have an advantage in the fact that they don't need prerequisites in order to learn skills further down the branches, and can upgrade quicker down the tree, learning things up their alley faster than other classes.

So, for example, where a one class that wasn't involved in that particular tree would need to go through all the motions of learning the prerequisites in order to get to a certain skill,  another would already have that certain skill, and would then proceed to learn the prerequisites  to that skill to easily learn other skills.

The problem is, I can't think of that many ranged and melee stunts, or how to effectively, but not overpoweredly introduce a "Backstab" stunt for the Assassin class.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:43:41 pm »

Look at the amaizing feats Bz set up for fantasy bhb. Should give you some ideas.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:06:31 pm »

As Aman said above, see the feats BZ made.

Backstab wouldn't really be too OP as it would have conditions needing met eg.

"Backstab - for this skill to be performed the player must be directly behind and undetected by the target at the moment of Attack."

This means that they would either have to be completely concealed as an enemy passes or invisible. Then they would have to pass a stealth check to get directly behind the enemy and into melee range and finally succeed on the feat.

Just an idea

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »

We used the Amazing Feats in our Mythic Nippon Game. They tend to allow for a seriously OP game toward the end (after 100 XP) - but feel free to create your own skill or power trees as you will  8)

Amazing Feats

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »

Convincing Lie is teh shit

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »

Just an idea

That sounds like a great idea. At least way better then saying "You do double damage to surprised enemies" and then giving them the smoke bomb ability to duck out of combat and try again if they don't die.

We used the Amazing Feats in our Mythic Nippon Game. They tend to allow for a seriously OP game toward the end (after 100 XP) - but feel free to create your own skill or power trees as you will  8)

Amazing Feats

Oh my god, the drunken master is so glorious!... Have any of them ever actually wielded small children, or is that just an example?

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:38 pm »

Can someone give some ballpark skill-ranges for easy>medium>hard npc encounters?

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 05:12:31 am »

In BHB (when not using Amazing Feats) there is not much difference between the Skill Levels, because Vitality And Wound Points make it as easy to win a combat as lose one.

What makes things more challenging are Toughness, Hard to Kill, Luck, Surge, and superior numbers.

What make things easier is if the opponents are Extras.

Check out some sample write ups in the Bounty Heads Section.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 05:26:57 pm »

This time, my question is for the noir/spy Faction game I'm trying to run for CYS

How should I handle vehicles and vehicle combat when all the vehicles are cars and everyone's just shooting out through the windows? And how would airplanes and helicopters work, too?

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 08:53:45 pm »

This time, my question is for the noir/spy Faction game I'm trying to run for CYS

How should I handle vehicles and vehicle combat when all the vehicles are cars and everyone's just shooting out through the windows? And how would airplanes and helicopters work, too?

Do they have specialities related to vehicles? If not are they getting a penalty to make the TN harder due to the unstable or moving shooting area? Are they targeting the other vehicle or the person, each should have different difficulties, hit the driver and the who,e vehicle is screwed, hit the engin or a tyre and roll for damage done or does it go out of controle etc.

Aeon_spiral

• BHB Titan
  • Cowboy
  • Keitaro Hokusai, the Drunken Ox of Sendai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 10:04:15 pm »

That sounds like a great idea. At least way better then saying "You do double damage to surprised enemies" and then giving them the smoke bomb ability to duck out of combat and try again if they don't die.

Oh my god, the drunken master is so glorious!... Have any of them ever actually wielded small children, or is that just an example?

I had drunken master set up for Keitaro in Mythic Nippon, if im not mistaken I convinced fed BZ to add this into his files, I likewise agree that it is indeed a wonderful addition to the BHB lineup as it is wildly unique and fun as check to play :)
Suffering is permanent, obscure and dark, And shares the nature of infinity. ~William Wordsworth
Pages: [1]   Go Up