Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Drak's been reading  (Read 66224 times)

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Drak's been reading
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2016, 08:56:12 am »

So, forgot to post here after I finished it, but I finished Heroes (and Red Country) a while ago. Red Country was excellent. One thing I particularly liked was that you could actually see an evil side to Logan in this one (you never really saw Logan being evil in the first trilogy until he killed Tul Duru).

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:48 am »

Yeah Red Country was great.

Starting reading Worm (a web serial). Absolutely amazing imo

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2016, 10:20:20 am »

Awesome, when you're done with that i've sent you the Broken Empire ombnibus

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2016, 10:39:55 am »

Yeah Red Country was great.

Starting reading Worm (a web serial). Absolutely amazing imo

Oh I've heard of worm. It's really that good then?

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:48 am »

Oh I've heard of worm. It's really that good then?
yeah its really good. Not Black Company level, but it's addicting. Bug (I refuse to call her by her official name) is amazing. The rest if the cast are phenomenal as well. The story is really well crafted, great foreshadowing, and each time a threat appears, it feel threatening without lessining the impact of the other threats. Great read. Wanna finish it tonight.

Awesome, when you're done with that i've sent you the Broken Empire ombnibus
Sweet

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 11:33:27 am »

Read Prince of thorns and got halfway through king of thorns yesterday and today. You can blame the books for me not updating.

The protagonist is the most unlikable, pure evil unredeemable shit you've ever read, and that's probably the biggest downfall of the series. The writing in the first book is also a little vague and confusing. Second book helps quite a bit though, and the whole thing seems made to make the main character much more likeable.

The whole thing is unecessarily gritty and meandering (it's cheap dark fiction, where something like the Black Company was rich in comparison) but it's better than most nonetheless. Very engaging once you get into it, moreso than the first law series I'd say.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2016, 10:18:21 am »

Also, a loooooot of comically stupid stuff in the books. Funniest unlikely thing would have to have been the necromantress' attempted forced wedding in the marsh.

Author also clearly has a hard on for his protagonist.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:23 pm »

Finished worm. Really good. Finale wasnt the best, but was pretty great. Epilogue was ehhh, aside from Defiant's final peice, which was amazing. Beyond amazing.

Gonna start pact.

@Drak
Gonna read your books when I'm on the cruise next week, since I wont have interwebs

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2016, 10:20:26 pm »

Another Cruise? You decadent bastard haha!  :D

Malkalack

• Bounty Head
  • Prolific shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2016, 11:12:00 pm »

Finished worm. Really good. Finale wasnt the best, but was pretty great. Epilogue was ehhh, aside from Defiant's final peice, which was amazing. Beyond amazing.

Gonna start pact.

@Drak
Gonna read your books when I'm on the cruise next week, since I wont have interwebs

How many Farking cruises do you people go on?
doot doot thank mr skeltal

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:32 am »

Another Cruise? You decadent bastard haha!  :D
Booyah motherfarkers. Its just that Operation A.P.E got tan and I raring for another one, ha ha.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2016, 06:40:40 am »

Try not to shoot anyone on this one though...  ;D

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2016, 07:44:16 am »

Try not to shoot anyone on this one though...  ;D
Probably gonna release a deadly disease instead, ha ha.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:25 am »

Well, as long as it's for the 'greater good' I suppose it's OK.  :D

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2016, 05:32:55 pm »

Just finished emperor of thorns.

All I have to say is that this guy knows how to end a story (his afterthought wasn't half bad either). Very nice.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2016, 05:37:36 pm »

Oh, and Aman, i'll send you three more books (the first three of the malazan book of the fallen series) - the authors are huge fans of the Black Company and while the first is widely considered to be confusing and doesn't give you much information, the second is said to be very much like Glen Cook's work and a much better continuation. I read the first a long time ago and i'll be re-reading it now.

Mentioning it because i'm pretty sure you'll finish Prince/King/Emperor of thorns in two or three days.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2016, 06:19:42 am »

Oh, and Aman, i'll send you three more books (the first three of the malazan book of the fallen series) - the authors are huge fans of the Black Company and while the first is widely considered to be confusing and doesn't give you much information, the second is said to be very much like Glen Cook's work and a much better continuation. I read the first a long time ago and i'll be re-reading it now.

Mentioning it because i'm pretty sure you'll finish Prince/King/Emperor of thorns in two or three days.
Sweeeeet
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:14:32 am by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2016, 07:37:56 am »

Dammit, meant to post those last two in what drak's been reading

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:05 am »

Moved it~

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:07 pm »

Finished Thorns. Eh, not your best pick, but def better then some of the first law books.

Best character was easily Maliana.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2016, 01:55:53 pm »

Never read the Malazan trilogy. First book is absolute shyte, couldnt finish it.

Anyone got any other good dark fantasy books? Got a flight soon and Ill need the distractions

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »

What's "dark?"

Rivers of London series; memory sorrow and thorn series by tad Williams; The Scar by China mièville (Drak might like that one too)

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »

Never read the Malazan trilogy. First book is absolute shyte, couldnt finish it.

Anyone got any other good dark fantasy books? Got a flight soon and Ill need the distractions

It's actually a ten book series (Malazan Book of the Fallen), with various associated works, including the Crimson Guard, a series written by Stevenson's friend and roleplaying partner Ian Cameron Esslemont, and a prequel set several hundred thousand years in the past.

The first book is, indeed, hard to get through, but the book really picks up about halfway through Gardens of the Moon, and the series itself starts to sink its claws into you somewhere in between Deadhouse Gates (Second Book) and Memories of Ice (third Book). It can be pretentious (extremely so) at times but it's overshadowed by what I personally think is some truly amazing world building, and there are some great characters. Deadhouse Gates (second Book) also has one of the best characters in the whole series, Duiker the Imperial Historian of the Malazan Empire (he's 100% Croaker, you feel it right away when you start reading him).

You really should give the series a second chance. I read the first book years ago and then gave up (despite the fact that i'd bought the first five books in the series). I gave it another try recently and now i'm on book eight (Toll the Hounds). It can take a while to get through (it's been about 3 months for me to read as far as i've read, but that's including time off i've had to take due to work and school, etc).

Also, Barabus is loosely based on Karsa Orlong, a character whose backstory spans the first several hundred pages of Memories of Ice, and it's one hell of a backstory.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »

What's "dark?"

Rivers of London series; memory sorrow and thorn series by tad Williams; The Scar by China mièville (Drak might like that one too)

Rivers of London is Whitechapel!

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2017, 10:47:39 pm »

Drak

I think Sharp Ends (book from 2016) has Gotka in it

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2017, 10:50:43 pm »

IT DOES

"The Union army may be full of bastards, but there's only one who thinks he can save the day single-handed when the Gurkish come calling: the incomparable Colonel Sand dan Glokta.

Curnden Craw and his dozen are out to recover a mysterious item from beyond the Crinna. Only one small problem: no one seems to know what the item is.

Shevedieh, the self-styled best thief in Styria, lurches from disaster to catastrophe alongside her best friend and greatest enemy, Javre, Lioness of Hoskopp.

And after years of bloodshed, the idealistic chieftain Bethod is desperate to bring peace to the North. There's only one obstacle left - his own lunatic champion, the most feared man in the North: the Bloody-Nine . ."

There's a ton but I only vaguely remember Curnden Craw, and I swear i've never heard of Shevedieh or Javre before. Colonel Sand Dan Glotka and the Bloody nine are the real prizes.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:38 pm »

13 stories, a lot of them related to that thief and Javre, so I think these are new characters. Some are told from the perspectives of characters we've never seen before.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2017, 10:58:24 pm »

Say did we ever end up reading the Shattered Sea series?

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2017, 11:00:40 pm »

Say did we ever end up reading the Shattered Sea series?
I dont think so. I'm down Lol

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2017, 11:06:58 pm »

Fark smeds was a great character

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »

Farking hell I forgot who Smeds even was.

I need to re-read Chronicles of the Black Company

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2017, 11:26:00 pm »

Still the best series i've ever read.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:23 pm »

Ive been using it to push off studying for my last exam

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:31 pm »

So good

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2019, 12:39:44 pm »

Yo drak  apparently Glen Cook released another Black Company book a year ago. Port of Shadows.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2019, 01:17:48 pm »

I was about to say that I don't like that because the series ended on a very, very final note, but looking it up it's actually set in-between the first and second book... and it's about the Lady and Soulcatcher's 3rd sister?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2019, 01:30:09 pm »

Yeah okay i'm not liking what i'm seeing here, looked at a bunch of reviews and while i'm not thin-skinned enough to care that the story's filled with rape or creepy shit, there was a spoiler review describing the plotline here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2534423989?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1 which is really not what I wanted to so.

Especially the fact that everyone's memory is erased at the end of the novel. That's some cop-out shit right there. Obvious and probably necessary but a cop-out nonetheless.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2019, 01:52:26 pm »

Though hey, if you're looking for something to read, I've been reading a lot of translated/webnovels as of late. Generally lower quality of writing (grammar/language-wise, since a lot of them are translated or have no editor) but a lot more willing to be creative with the plot or go into a lot more detail about things. Two best ones I've read so far are the following:

Lord of the Mysteries

http://novelfull.com/lord-of-the-mysteries.html

Follows the story of Zhou Mingri (though he quickly adopts and uses the name of the person whose body he inhabits, Klein, and you rarely see his name again), a chinese guy who enacts a ritual from a book on Earth that sends him into the body of a guy who shot himself in the head in the setting of Lord of the Mysteries. The setting is cthulhu/victorian era-esque, something I don't actually normally like, and which put me off from reading it for a really long time, but once I actually started I found it was extremely well executed and came with a very compelling magic system.

There are a couple infodumps early on when Klein is training with Old Neil but you can honestly skim through most of those.

It's translated from a Chinese novel, so there are some sayings that are a little weird if you're not used to them, but I found it to be a pretty high quality translation.

I'd say the series is roughly halfway done atm, it gets another 2-3 chapters every day (which will likely slow down when it catches up to the author), and i'm fairly confident in the author's plan for the story moving forward.

Mother of Learning

Follows a moody little piece of shit teenage kid going to wizard school who ends up caught in a time loop. He quickly grows out of his asshole personality and spends a very long time in the time loop. Author sucks at counting, something you'll notice very quickly when he starts actually putting down hard numbers on how much time has actually been spent in the time loop, but that's an inconsistency you can mostly ignore. The writing very quickly picks up once the time loop actually starts, though you'll have about two or three chapters before that happens.

The writing's great, the protagonist quickly becomes very likeable, the setting and the progression of the plot is well-paced IMO, and the story is nearly done, supposed to be finished this month actually. I'd strongly recommend you read this one first, if you read either or both of these series/novels, since it's nearly done and you won't have to end up waiting for any chapters.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 01:58:29 pm by Drakilian »

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2019, 06:17:30 pm »

Yeah okay i'm not liking what i'm seeing here, looked at a bunch of reviews and while i'm not thin-skinned enough to care that the story's filled with rape or creepy shit, there was a spoiler review describing the plotline here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2534423989?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1 which is really not what I wanted to so.

Especially the fact that everyone's memory is erased at the end of the novel. That's some cop-out shit right there. Obvious and probably necessary but a cop-out nonetheless.

Thats unfortunate lol. I read the review.

What a weird twist haha.
Though hey, if you're looking for something to read, I've been reading a lot of translated/webnovels as of late. Generally lower quality of writing (grammar/language-wise, since a lot of them are translated or have no editor) but a lot more willing to be creative with the plot or go into a lot more detail about things. Two best ones I've read so far are the following:

Lord of the Mysteries

http://novelfull.com/lord-of-the-mysteries.html

Follows the story of Zhou Mingri (though he quickly adopts and uses the name of the person whose body he inhabits, Klein, and you rarely see his name again), a chinese guy who enacts a ritual from a book on Earth that sends him into the body of a guy who shot himself in the head in the setting of Lord of the Mysteries. The setting is cthulhu/victorian era-esque, something I don't actually normally like, and which put me off from reading it for a really long time, but once I actually started I found it was extremely well executed and came with a very compelling magic system.

There are a couple infodumps early on when Klein is training with Old Neil but you can honestly skim through most of those.

It's translated from a Chinese novel, so there are some sayings that are a little weird if you're not used to them, but I found it to be a pretty high quality translation.

I'd say the series is roughly halfway done atm, it gets another 2-3 chapters every day (which will likely slow down when it catches up to the author), and i'm fairly confident in the author's plan for the story moving forward.

Mother of Learning

Follows a moody little piece of shit teenage kid going to wizard school who ends up caught in a time loop. He quickly grows out of his asshole personality and spends a very long time in the time loop. Author sucks at counting, something you'll notice very quickly when he starts actually putting down hard numbers on how much time has actually been spent in the time loop, but that's an inconsistency you can mostly ignore. The writing very quickly picks up once the time loop actually starts, though you'll have about two or three chapters before that happens.

The writing's great, the protagonist quickly becomes very likeable, the setting and the progression of the plot is well-paced IMO, and the story is nearly done, supposed to be finished this month actually. I'd strongly recommend you read this one first, if you read either or both of these series/novels, since it's nearly done and you won't have to end up waiting for any chapters.

U get me haha. Knew youd have something to read.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up