Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Implementing martial arts in BHB?  (Read 6733 times)

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
  • Flying bears, now THAT'S a scary thought!
    • View Profile
Implementing martial arts in BHB?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:22 pm »

I understand that this was kinda done before with the Drunken Boxer perks, but that was insanely powerful endgame material. What I'm looking for at the moment is a way to implement different fighting styles in such a way that players can pick fights and manage their playstyle based around their different fighting styles in a way that mechanically affects melee and grapple combat. What I've come up with so far is making 5 health bars (Bones, internal organs, (if applicable) Cyberware, (if it's there) muscles, and bones) applying a set for each limb and the torso, and making the weapons and fighting styles affect these all differently.

Of course, the problem with having a bajillion health bars is that you end up getting crippling injuries, grotesque disfigurements, and debilitating pains in the ass even after a knife fight with two extras. Victories often become Pyrrhic and unrealistically costly unless you've stealth-killed your way through the goons, so I assume it'd be a good way to go if you're going to make a game about thieves or geeks or adventure game protagonists or some other form of character that tends to avoid combat at all costs.

Naturally, I need another way of going about this, and I'd like to know if you have any ideas.
Shitty shitters shit shitty shits shittily shitting shittier shits.
See? Fark isn't the only word you can make a sentence out of!

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Implementing martial arts in BHB?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:05:21 pm »

Grappling kinda allows for that, especially if you get the Sumo Edge. Plus there are 'Called Shots' and the like I'd you want to do it.
Grappling alone has all these to consider--
...Body Slam
...Bumrush
...Choke
...Disarm
...Hold
...Pin
...Trip

And Sumo adds three more to that. Then there's edges that allow for scarring your opponent, etc.

Linky (look for 'combat maneuvers') : http://www.bountyheadbebop.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.0

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:09:39 pm »

I think this currently does exist to an extent. There are different types of parries and pins you can go for to represent the different fighting styles and there is already a 'maiming' system in place to represent broken arms and buy legs etc.

I like the idea of having different styles of martial arts like Karate, Taekwondo or Aikedo to show that one is about strength and strikes, one based around flexibility and kicks, one about fluidity and countering without necessarily hurting your opponent etc.

This would be very difficult to arrange however as the more complexity you add to the hp system the harder it gets to track, which bar does the attack affect? How do you account for the different types of strikes and defence which would alter what is affected etc.

Overall I think letting people rp out how they want it to go down in their chosen style then rolling mechanically as normal, only assigning maiming rules if necessary, is still the best way to go.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
  • Flying bears, now THAT'S a scary thought!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:32 pm »

This would be very difficult to arrange however as the more complexity you add to the hp system the harder it gets to track, which bar does the attack affect? How do you account for the different types of strikes and defence which would alter what is affected etc.

I was thinking that I would change it so that all different weapons had different levels of effectiveness towards health bars, and that the effectiveness would determine how it divvies up the damage to the health bars. Different martial arts would change the body into different weapons and grant resistances to certain weapons/fortify certain health bars.

Brazilian kickboxing, for example, would deal high damage to head organs, torso organs and musculature, and fortify bones and muscular tissue in the legs.

And then, of course, if you leveled it up enough, you'd be able to pull off stunts like nerve strikes, unarmed weapons disarms, death blows, etc.
Shitty shitters shit shitty shits shittily shitting shittier shits.
See? Fark isn't the only word you can make a sentence out of!

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:26 pm »

Eew no. Don't change how damage is taken. One of the chief benefits of bhb is it's insanely simple ruleset.

What I'd suggest is a set of edges. They don't have to be like Drunken Master, but they should be edge chains.

Like, for Krav Maga (only thing I know), I'd have it focus on maiming/stunning the opponent. So, I'd statt with martial artist,stunning strike, martial arts master,savage,greviois,maiming,death touch.

and then I'd fill in the area I want with new edges (hopefully balanced). Maybe make a few set up before the amazing feats. Pf
Pages: [1]   Go Up