Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurray For Face Punching!  (Read 22684 times)

Morgan_R

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Hurray For Face Punching!
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2015, 12:00:23 pm »

I think you may have misunderstood drak and berka from the start. Neither claimed nothing had changed for anyone.

Possibly I have misunderstood them. There seems to be a lot of that going around. However, I am not saying that they specifically claimed that 'nothing had changed for anyone.' Just that they did not appear to consider those changes, in saying things like:

We are talking Humanity/Human Nature. It can't be held side-to-side with Technology and compared on the same scale.

And perhaps contrary to popular sentiment, I don't think Humans have advanced in humanity at all since the beginning. I think Humans Are all basically the same from recorded history at least.

In my opinion, the idea that civilized society has somehow grown more sophisticated, refined, and "better than those barbarians of the past" over time is laughable.

(emphasis mine)

And then Drak, responding:

I agree whole-heartedly here. It's ridiculous to assume that people have become better or more sophisticated or refined. These are all terms relative to the societies which founded them. They change over time. What we consider to be refined or sophisticated could easily be considered rude or absurd in a thousand years, our culture and beliefs might be considered simplistic, our lives easily classified. That's because this is the way humans deal with history, it sure as hell isn't the way the world works. How can we say that the people of the past were worse than we are when the very meaning of what is good and what is bad changes as time passes?

Now, Drak is arguing from a particular sort of relativism here, and I have not addressed that. Like I said, he and Berka weren't actually making the same point. However, I feel that it is pretty clear that both of their statements go beyond "society is built on violence/the threat of violence."

Ironically, it is partly because I considered my point to be a digression, that I attempted to make it in a concise way -- in a way that I frankly expected would probably be dismissed with an eye roll, but which I thought might cause someone to stop and think about statements like "civilization hasn't changed things" or "we can't say the past was worse," from the perspective of someone like me.

Yes, I was also tired, and not, at that moment, in a position to spend upwards of three hours to explain my perspective more fully. But setting that aside, I also didn't want to completely derail the topic, even as it already seemed to be drifting a bit.

Yes, yes, I know how it actually worked out. >_<

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:03:16 pm by Morgan_R »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »

Too be fair, I probably did take the side of 'people have not changed since day 1' - but unlike most of the well spoken ones around here, I seem to suck abhorrently at expressing what I mean.

King Playa

• Mob Boss
  • Fark 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:09 pm »

Berka makes sense though. Society uses violence as a means to prevent violence,  irony withstanding.
What do you call a black guy in the hood? A stereotype you racist bastard!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2015, 04:22:49 pm »

Berka makes sense though. Society uses violence as a means to prevent violence,  irony withstanding.

It's not my article though, so I can't really take credit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up