Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering: BFZ  (Read 12751 times)

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
Magic the Gathering: BFZ
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:33:17 pm »

Anyone here play Magic the Gathering?

If you haven't heard of it, or don't know much. It is the grand daddy of modern collectible trading card games, designed in 1993 by Dr. Richard Garfield and produced by Wizards of the Coast. It was an immediate success and has continued to grow in popularity ever sense, in large part due to it's customization, deep mechanics, and complicated board states. It is a game of resource management.

I started playing about six years ago at the tail end of the Zendikar expansion, followed by World Wake, and Rise of the Eldrazi. Just getting into the game I noticed that the cards carried little pieces of a huge overarching story, and thought the story would continue as new expansion came out. But it didn't! I was surprised to learn that stories were introduced in three set "blocks" and then we moved on to a new setting. The story dropped me off at a bit of a cliff hanger.

The newest expansion launches October 2nd, Battle for Zendikar!

I'm participating in a series prerelease tournaments from the 25th through the 27th. This is very exciting for me. Zendikar came out in 2009. I've advanced allot as a player sense then and I'm very excited about getting to compete. I got blown out for the first couple years of competing, but this time I battle for Zendikar as a competent threat to the top players.

Does anyone else know/posses loads of hype, about this?

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: BFZ
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:29 pm »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:38 am »

I liked the original  :)

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:01:09 am »

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/magic~3a-what-guild-are-you~3f

^ That answer your question? :D

Yeah, I knew you played. :) Was Return to Ravnica your first set? Have you kept up with the new sets?

I liked the original  :)

I didn't know you played, but it shouldn't surprise me. How long have you played Berka? Still have your old Alpha deck sitting around somewhere? :P (I'm calling you old, but in a cool way.)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:31:26 am »

I think the last time I had a deck was in 1995 haha!

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:25:21 pm »

I think the last time I had a deck was in 1995 haha!

Oh, you meant it when you said the original. Cool.
Got any Black Lotus? :P

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »

Had all that great stuff. Black Lotus, Manna Vault, etc. But we didn't know it would be worth anything back then haha!

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 11:42:44 am »

I've heard so many players from back then say that! Wow. Ever thought about getting back in? Or is life way to busy as is?

Morgan_R

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:48:30 am »

Had all that great stuff. Black Lotus, Manna Vault, etc. But we didn't know it would be worth anything back then haha!

I'm pretty sure that's the only context in which stuff ever becomes a valuable collectible. Once people realize that 'hey, this stuff could be worth something!' then lots of people are thinking that, and buying it, and carefully preserving its condition.

I mean, I don't know much about MTG. I'm sure it's a little different, because there are cards that are rare to start with, because that's part of the design. But for things like comics, or Barbie dolls, or any of the other weird stuff that people collect and then keep "mint in box" or otherwise preserved in plastic? Yeah, if you're doing that, you're probably never going to see any return on your 'investment.' I mean, do it if you enjoy it, buuut don't kid yourself about why you're buying that stuff.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

Too true - especially with comic books haha!

And yeah, part of why I didn't go back to Magic The Gathering is a time issue, but also thought it just got too big. Too many options made it harder to build 'he perfect' deck unless you just wanted to purchase it all.

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »

There really is no perfect deck anymore. I like that about Magic. There's also allot of different formats now. Some people only play Vintage, or Extended, or "Standard," "Modern," and "Elder Dragon Highlander."

Haha. People just call it EDH.

Personally, I competitively play "Limited."

There's allot of collector's value in Magic, because the WOTC team actively keep close tabs on demand. Cards that are worth allot often don't see reprints to keep collectors from flipping out when their 500$ investment drops to 15$.

A Black Lotus is worth at least 2000$

I traded away the most valuable card I've ever owned Friday. At 46$ turning it into a fist full of valuable cards I needed for a deck seemed like a good Idea. I'd been sitting on that Foil Consecrated Sphinx for five years anyway.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 06:27:47 am »

I'm pretty sure that's the only context in which stuff ever becomes a valuable collectible. Once people realize that 'hey, this stuff could be worth something!' then lots of people are thinking that, and buying it, and carefully preserving its condition.

I mean, I don't know much about MTG. I'm sure it's a little different, because there are cards that are rare to start with, because that's part of the design. But for things like comics, or Barbie dolls, or any of the other weird stuff that people collect and then keep "mint in box" or otherwise preserved in plastic? Yeah, if you're doing that, you're probably never going to see any return on your 'investment.' I mean, do it if you enjoy it, buuut don't kid yourself about why you're buying that stuff.

This is true.

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 12:37:44 am »

Yeah, I knew you played. :) Was Return to Ravnica your first set? Have you kept up with the new sets?

Innistrad, actually. And I did, for a while, until life got crazy. I won a tournament a month ago (or so?) with a borrowed deck because my extortion deck is pretty out-dated. I still piss my sweetheart off with it on occasion, though. (I love Orzhov.) Of course, it bites me in the ass if Jace gets drawn...

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 10:27:15 pm »

Innistrad was a great set. That's the set where I started to become an especially competent limited player. I'm finally getting into standard now.

Which Jace?

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 02:22:36 am »

Innistrad was a great set. That's the set where I started to become an especially competent limited player. I'm finally getting into standard now.

Which Jace?

Architect of Thought. I realize he's had much nastier versions, though. We split the Jace VS Vraska set, and though I wanted Jace, I do not do 'blue' because of my play style. I have regretted it quite a few times since.

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 06:03:14 pm »

Jace's was the stronger deck there, same with him vs Chandra. Which makes sense. The duel decks were both reflections of in lore fights. Both of which Jace won.

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:27 pm »

Jace's was the stronger deck there, same with him vs Chandra. Which makes sense. The duel decks were both reflections of in lore fights. Both of which Jace won.

Yep. Anything lore related and Jace normally wins / gets out relatively unscathed. I can only think of one character who's thought to be stronger than he is, tbh. Dude's kinda OP... which isn't why I liked him enough to make him my avatar on CYS, but it doesn't hurt.

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 12:04:04 am »

Yeah, Jace is more or less the poster boy. I few Walkers have gotten the better of him though.

Lilliana, Nicol Bolas, and Tezzeret. Jace needed help to defeat Tezzy in the end, and Nicol Outright stomped Jace. That's who I figure you're referring to. Ajani beat Bolas once. So arguments could be made.

I also suspect that the Lord of Innistrad would be a fair match for the young Genius.

Before becoming the Living Guildpact, Jace was almost killed by Varolz.
This nasty joker,

NightShadowBlue

• Small Fry
  • Forever stuck in a field of dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:49 am »

I play. However, I play casual. I love multiplayer games of magic. Sometimes the occasional Planechase game thrown in.

I can't stand edh as it takes forever. Plus I like playing in free time between classes, and most of the edh games around last at least 3 hours. I saw one go on for 8 hours once because of the amount of field wipes.

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »

Yeah, Jace is more or less the poster boy. I few Walkers have gotten the better of him though.

Lilliana, Nicol Bolas, and Tezzeret. Jace needed help to defeat Tezzy in the end, and Nicol Outright stomped Jace. That's who I figure you're referring to. Ajani beat Bolas once. So arguments could be made.

I also suspect that the Lord of Innistrad would be a fair match for the young Genius.

Before becoming the Living Guildpact, Jace was almost killed by Varolz.
This nasty joker,

Yeah, I was referring to Nicol Bolas. (True, but Lilliana cheats. xD *has fought her a few times*) Oh. Right, he did need help with Tezzeret, huh? (Yeah, I do remember mentioning Ajani as a possibility when arguing with a Jace fanboy, lol.) Hence me throwing in "normally," because I'm aware that the guy isn't invincible, but he's still pretty damn durable.

Ugilick

• Professional
  • Bound in a logic knot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »

I play. However, I play casual. I love multiplayer games of magic. Sometimes the occasional Planechase game thrown in.

I can't stand edh as it takes forever. Plus I like playing in free time between classes, and most of the edh games around last at least 3 hours. I saw one go on for 8 hours once because of the amount of field wipes.

If you like the idea of commander, but not the way it actually pans out, try Tiny Leaders. :)

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:31 am »

I play. However, I play casual. I love multiplayer games of magic.

Same here for the most part, though the tournament I participated in was fun and I've also played the computer version, which was honestly a whole lot better than I thought it'd be.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 09:07:46 am »

They still have  (or have a new) MTG computer game? I played the first one they made back in the mid to late 90's and liked it a lot, but it was hella buggy.

Kiel_Farren

• Bounty Head
  • Lunar Fang
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:42 am »

They still have  (or have a new) MTG computer game? I played the first one they made back in the mid to late 90's and liked it a lot, but it was hella buggy.

I have the ... 2013? 2014? One of the two. It's not buggy in the slightest. I love my green deck. It's awesome. It works off of a slow build up of mana via low power creatures that aid in pulling it from your deck as they defend you, then you summon a giant colorless beast or two, and wipe the battlefield of everything besides your power-houses and your own mana. (xD Because my beasties also destroy the opponent's mana. It's beautiful to watch if you can pull it off--but anything that gains traction quickly can be a hassle if you get unlucky. It rarely happens, but it happens.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up