Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dangerous Ground - Steeple  (Read 44471 times)

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
Dangerous Ground - Steeple
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »

April 2ndth, 4:53AM, 1199
Steepleton, Tihuta Pass
Domain of Count Radu Bistri, Prince of Bistritz

It's been two days since Steeple has returned to his lair at Steepleton, the human seneschal he'd left in place had held it together in his absence - though the Malkavian is acutely aware of how vulnerable his little fortress is without him being present as its protector and keeper.

However there is little of interest in the - admittedly, beautifully built - fortress for the wandering madman and his wise advisor Prince Maurice. So when a letter left for Steeple is found by Nadia at the balcony to the seneschal's office, its messenger nowhere to be seen - well, he cannot help but be interested.

Breaking the seal, Steeple's eyes run across the carefully written script.

To Lord Steepleton Carson Olaf Trevesky the Fourth,

Evening, my good lord of Tihuta pass! As a noted friend to the Tremere and a well-connected individual recently fallen on difficult times, I believe that our clan has a well-vested interest in ensuring your continued well-being. As such, I have an offer prepared for you - one might say an offer of prestation, in fact! I have recently discovered a rather fascinating set of ruins, within which I believe information of vital importance related to old Koldunic Sorceries might lie. I should wish to have your aid in clearing the ruins, and your insightful mind in understanding what is found. If you intend to seriously consider my offer, simply go to the highest point of your tower and leave a reply for me, my messenger will retrieve it and bring it back to me within the day.

With respect,
Celestyn, Master Librarian of Ceoris

"Adventure my dear lad! Adventure beckons and calls, it thrills the dead heart within your flesh! Think of what mysteries we might find in these hidden ruins!" Maurice exclaims.

Of course, Steeple's mind is already set on something else - the master librarian of Ceoris! While very few kindred can even sum up what Ceoris is, Steeple is aware that the name is that assigned to the chief chantry of the Tremere, the hidden stronghold of the Transylvanian mages and the greatest chantry of House Tremere. Whoever this Celestyn is, he would have access to such an incredible wealth of knowledge as to keep Steeple well occupied and interested in study for centuries!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:36:11 pm by Drakilian »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Ground
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:57 am »

"Very interesting," Steeple muses, writing a reply on a small sheet of parchment -

Venerable Master Celestyn,

I would be most pleased to be included in this expedition and to make your acquaintance. I have the utmost respect for your clan and its honored traditions. I accept this opportunity to prove myself a valuable ally.

Please let me know where and when you would like to meet.

Sincerely,
Steeple Carson Olaf Trevesky the Fourth, Seneschal of Tihuta Pass

Steeple then takes the letter to the highest tower and waits to see who (or what) will come to retrieve it.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:28 pm »

Moving through the decorated walls of his fine fortress, it occurs to him again to be grateful to Sylvian and Zelios for their exceptional work in creating the fortress. It is truly a wonderfully built area. Pleasing enough, if there was something to do other than stare at the walls all day.

He'd only had to do some very minor renovations to add a touch of sconces here and there. Sure, the builders said it would be a fire hazard, but since when is fire dangerous for his kind anyway? Prince Maurice loved it as well.

Reaching the top of his tower, Steeple notes the creepy looking gargoyle statue and then looks around for the messenger.

It's with barely concealed surprise-terror that he turns around after the tap on his shoulder. The gargoyle had moved.

"Holy Fark!" Maurice exclaims, like he'd just jumped in surprise too.

Oh yes, it had slipped his mind ever so briefly - the Tremere have these creatures as their fanatically loyal servants. He'd never actually been by one face-to-face. It, uh, it's not too pleasant.

The ugly thing looks at him silently and expectantly. It shuffles about, almost as if to illustrate to Steeple that yes, it is in fact sentient and alive, and then settles back into place with a grunt, holding out its hand.

It occurs to the malkavian that it wouldn't be too hard for the thing to throw him off the tower. Something to keep in mind if he ever angers the Tremere - stay away from rooftops.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:42 pm »

Steeple hands the letter to the Gargoyle.

"Oh my, you are positively gothic!" Steeple smiles; "When shall I expect a reply?"

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »

The gargoyle grunts out a reply, "The master will answer in a few nights. He will come to you first."

It then leaps off the top of the tower and spreads its wings, somehow its incredible stone bulk is thrown out into the winds whistling down the Tihuta pass and the monster flies off.

Is there anything Steeple should like to do before Celestyn comes in the few days of preparation available to him?

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:36:07 am »

While awaiting a reply, Steeple takes the time to see that the affairs of the castle are in order and that the men will continue to remain vigilant in his absence once again.

He informs Nadia of the expedition and invites her to either join him or remain at the fortress to rest, depending on how she feels about taking up another quest so soon after the salt mines affair.

---

Steeple also gathers spell components and renews any Rituals that would be of use. On the day he is to meet Celestyn, he'll be sure to have Extinguish ready (just in case) ...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:56:40 am by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:48:22 am »

Nadia informs steeple that she isn't sure she would be of much use on the venture and would prefer to take some time to recuperate in Steepleton.

April 6th, 12:45 AM,
Steepleton, Tihuta Pass
Domain of Count Radu Bistri, Prince of Bistritz

There is a knock at Steeple's door.

The Malkavian had been awaiting Celestyn's arrival eagerly ever since the gargoyle's grumbled message, but there had been no returned letter or clearer message to clarify whether or not the master librarian was prepared for him.

Calling out for whatever servant to come in, expecting news or a message from the Tremere - he is surprised to see two men he's never seen before walk in! His servants are nowhere in sight.

The first is a hearty and well-muscled looking young man, with dark blond hair and brown eyes. His face is better described as pleasing than handsome. He is dressed in the loose and practical clothing of a peasant.

The other is dressed in the robes of a scholarly magus, his features hidden by his clothing and his face covered by his hood.

"Seems an odd match, wouldn't you say?" Maurice mumbles.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

Yes, I wonder if it's the old prince and the pauper routine, Steeple thinks to Prince Maurice.

To the visitors, Steeple motions for them to come in and offers, "Welcome to my humble hearth. As you must know, I am Steeple Carson Olaf the Fourth, Seneschal of Tihuta Pass; To whom do I owe the pleasure; and do you bring word from Master Celestyn?"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:34:45 am by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:21:22 pm »

The muscled young man grins, showing off large, predatory fangs that quickly slide back into place.

"You're looking at him! I prefer not to wear those old robes on expeditions, far too impractical. These suffice. It's a pleasure to meet you myself Steepleton, your home is as beautiful as it is practical. Mercurius here will be our transport, he can bend space very skillfully to drop us off wherever we need to be."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 06:54:42 am »

"By Jove! The Path of Mercury! Haha! I would be most pleased to see it in application!" Steeple delights.

'Pay close attention Maurice!' Steeple thinks to his Prince, 'Maybe this is something we can pick up for ourselves!'

"And yes, the castle really is a marvel," steeple continues to his guests; "Its design was overseen by the Master Mason Zelios himself and our own Sylvian Bastian Beaulieu, of artistic renown. I'm am quite taken with the marvelous sconce-work myself. Such exquisite attention to detail haha!"

"At any length," Steeple finishes, "if you will excuse me, I will gather a few things and alert the concierge of my departure. May I offer you a quick bracer while you wait?"

Steeple motions for them to wait in the antechamber, were a small bar is stocked with an assortment of fine spirits - and of course, the elixirs more appropriate to the Kin. In preparation for the esteemed visit, Steeple has set out three carafes chilled in fresh spring water - one labeled 'Wild Fling' that contains the blood of a sultry prostitute; one inscribed 'Salt of Earth' that contains the blood of a hard working villager; and one called 'Innocence' that holds the mixed blood of young children (none of which were killed to take the samples).

Steeple excuses himself briefly to hug Nadia and tell her to take care of herself and keep an eye on the castle while he's gone. He then takes a moment to finish the Extinguish Ritual and grab his things, before returning to his guests with a ready grin.

"The expedition awaits!"

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »

The Tremere both nod in appreciation at Master Zelios' name before the seneschal leaves to make his final preparations.

When Steeple returns to the room he finds that the "Salt of Earth" and "Innocence" carafes have both been drained; it's good to see the Tremere willing to accept his hospitality.

"I wonder where these ruins are?", the prince wonders aloud.

"Wonderful, i've been looking forward to this for a while now. Mercurius, if you please?"

Celestyn grabs Mercurius by the hand, and gestures for Steeple to do the same.

"You'll love the place, I hope. Have you ever been to Sighis?"

He hasn't, though Steeple recognizes the city as one located within central Romania.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:50:19 pm »

"Can't say that I have," Steeple answers honestly, taking the hand offered to him; "Central Romania though, I do believe."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:56 pm »

"Indeed! Unfortunately we will not be enjoying the sights, the area is close to the city, but not actually on its grounds."

Mercurius speaks a few mumbled words of power. Steeple feels the air around him twisting...

The castle fades away in an instant, replaced by rolling hills, a lush Transylvanian forest off in the distance and a ruins of a massive pagan temple.

Steeple takes a second to re-orient himself, abstaining from undignifiedly gasping or stumbling about in confusion.

Fresh air assaults him; almost like a sudden, violent push. The change in temperature and the pressure of the wind coming from nowhere near throws him off his feet.

Celestyn however, seems to be perfectly accustomed to it. Mercurius does not even register a change in demeanor.

He chuckles, "Ah, always a bit of a challenge the first time around."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 07:28:17 am »

"Astounding!" Steeple replies, giddy with the thought of learning such an incredible power.

'Gives the head a spin though,' he thinks to Prince Maurice wryly.

"An old pagan temple," Steeple then says to his comrades, "What sort of history has this place?"

"I have to wonder what nasty darkness such an unrefined practice as Paganism would have dredged up here..."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 02:18:25 pm »

"Well now, that's what we're here to find out isn't it!"

Celestyn nods warmly to Mercurius.

"Thank you for the service my friend. Once a week, of course?"

Mercurius nods his agreement, and then flares his hands outward, this time speaking no words of power. He vanishes into thin air.

The Master Librarian turns back to Steeple, an excited grin on his face.

"From past research I believe the temple was dedicated to an extremely powerful Koldun who enthralled tribesmen into worshipping him through displays of his mastery over nature. The temple was undoubtedly constructed by his ghouls."

There's a twinkle in the old vampire's eyes as he speaks.

"I hope to study the rituals used in his worship - find tomes his followers may have used or perhaps, if we are particularly lucky, the tomes he used in his own rituals."

Then he lowers his voice and leans forward conspiratorially.

"And who knows? Maybe we'll even find the old bastard himself!"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:20 am »

"Let's hope that he's not still put out by the destruction of his temple if we do haha!" Steeple grins, ready to start looking around.

Steeple activated Heightened Senses.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 10:45:39 pm »

Celestyn nods.

"Go ahead and look for a serviceable entrance, i'll find us a place to rest during the day. It's already been prepared in advance for us, just need to find it."

The Tremere leaves while Steeple starts his search of the Pagan temple.

Steeple's senses sharpen as he activates his heightened senses. He reads the cracks along the outline of the old building's ruins like flowing script, identifies the species of ivy growing down its walls by the pattern growing along its leaves, he smells the dust and mold growing in that dark hole within the building, almost 2 stories up....

"Well, that Celestyn seems like a fine old chap doesn't he?"

Steeple's eyes drop down to the large stone gates of the temple.

"Doesn't look like you'll be getting in through there eh lad?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 05:54:50 am »

"Yes, and much easier to get along with than those nasty 'teet-zee tee-meet-zees'," Steeple laughs in reply to his Prince.

"Hmm..." he then wonders aloud, "Probably should see what's up in that hole. Want to bet it's a horrifyingly vicious monster?"

Steeple then sets about to look for a spider to use with his wall crawling ritual - seeing as climbing with only one arm is a huge pain in the arse.

Presuming he doesn't botch and bleed out again, Steeple will climb up and around the tower to sneak a peak into the hole from over the top of it.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:57:09 am »

Steeple finds and effortlessly consumes a spider. With Prince Maurice firmly entrenched in his sconce, the Malkavian scales the wall with ease, clearing the face of the ruined temple and reaching the dark hole.

Soft moonlight pours into the room, just enough for Steeple to properly make out the area. Rubble covers the floor, three doorways lead off further into the ruins, though only one actually seems to not be sealed off.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 02:52:26 pm »

Steeple takes a rope from his supplies and secures it, so he can throw it out over the side of the tower for Celestyn to find. While Steeple doubts the Tremere will actually need it to get up into the tower, it will at least let him know where Steeple went.

"I wonder why they didn't bring those gargoyly things with them," Steeple muses aloud to Maurice.

"Do you think we should wait? Or press on ahead?"

As he waits for Celestyn, Steeple give the room a thorough search.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »

"Maybe we just can't see them?" Maurice ponders.

"I never took those things to be subtle, but then again, you had no idea it was in your castle till you got that message didn't you?"

"Not sure there's much point without some better lighting lad, even your senses aren't good enough to read or decipher carvings in pitch black darkness."

It's right around then that Steeple hears Celestyn calling out from outside.

"Steeple! Steeple, where are you? The shelter's all set up, did you find a way in?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »

"Hmm... You have a good point..." Steeple replies, regarding the gargoyle's visit - "We'll have to look into beefing up security when we get back."

Steeple is just about to summon Will O Wisps when he hears Celestyn. Going to the hole in the wall he waves out at him.

"Up here," Steeple calls - trying not to be too loud.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 12:45:13 pm »

Celestyn looks at the source of the sound and grins.

"Wonderful job! Is that a rope you have up there? Perfect, thank you!"

The Tremere jogs up to the ruined wall and scrambles up the rope to the hole with surprising efficacy.

"Good spot, good spot. Could use a bit more light though, hmm?"

Celestyn pulls out a torch and seems as if he's about to light it.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

"Ah, if you'll give me a moment," Steeple says, "I have a nifty trick for that."

Steeple then calls forth his Will O wisps.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »

When Steeple finishes, Celestyn gives his applause.

"Will'o'the wisp, neat trick indeed! I know the ritual myself, just can't ever bother myself to carry around a willow stick when a fire spell and a torch will do. Everything has it's uses! Pleasure to see you using our arts, master Steepleton."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »

Steeple smiles and breaks the Will O Wisp into two motes, one to light the room from above, and the other to allow him to illuminate brightly the areas that he's searching.

"I do appreciate the art of it," Steeple chats, as he looks around for anything interesting - or an indication of which would be the better route to take from the chamber; "the time it takes to use rituals does limit their application, but I enjoy all the marvelous variety of things we can do with them."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »

The next few hours are spent parsing through ruins and examining the faded, cracked carvings strewn about the walls of the temples.

Celestyn seems to find joy and excitement in every new discovery - be it something as epic as a depiction of the ancient Koldun to which the temple si dedicated setting off a volcano, or something as mundane as an urn clearly used by the koldun's followers to defecate in.

When Steeple scopes out what appear to be a series of tablets inscribed with rituals of worship, the master librarian practically jumps up and down with glee, setting about to translating the work almost immediately.

It seems almost no time at all before Celestyn's head darts up from his work and he frowns.

"Tsk, the sun will be up soon. We should probably get to shelter."

He glances longingly at the surrounding ruins, perhaps contemplating trying to stay awake throughout the day to work.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 07:16:52 am »

"I have Defense of the Sacred Haven; if you think it worth remaining here in the ruins through the day," Steeple suggests.

"The upper tower seems defensible, should anything still be lurking about, as are a few other areas out of the sun here."

"I'm game, if you are," Steeple then smiles mischievously, as if choosing to do this was some sort of transgression against the rules.

'Another battle against the weight of the sun haha!' Steeple thinks to Prince Maurice; 'You think that gold translatey thing will work on these tables?'

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 05:20:32 pm »

The master librarian's already weak resolve is broken by Steeple's suggestion.

"I would love to," Celestyn says with a smile.

"Oh I doubt it, the key was to a language far older than this temple." Maurice replies.

The two find and set up a protective ritual in a room in a closed room decorated with what appears to be an armless, headless statue of the Koldun near the center of the temple, safe from the sunlight. They begin their research throughout the rest of the night.

Celestyn proves to be a judicious and extremely knowledgeable researcher, spending the majority of his time working through translations of the book (which he has determined to be a particularly obscure dialect of standard Romanian) and the rituals on the walls. He also - with the help of Steeple's imaginative authority, several suggestions from Prince Maurice, carvings from the walls and the remains of the statue in the very room they're holed up in - attempts to recreate an image of the old Koldun. The amount of work he parses through is astonishing, though even he is unable to finish each of the projects.

It's after about 14 hours of steady, relentless research (at the end of which Prince Maurice is practically crying out for Steeple to take a break), that Celestyn jumps up, enthusiastically exclaiming - "I've done it! I've identified one of the rituals of worship!"

The man begins rapidly babbling out details of the ritual, "A single person at the center of the circle, 24 cultists chanting in abject worship in a circle around the koldun and the subject, each of them cutting themselves on a different finger every 6 minutes and letting a single drop of their blood fall into the carved circle. After an hour, when each finger has been cut, the blood rises from the circle and forces itself down the subject's throat, and he is turned into stone! The statue in this room,"

He motions to the thing, "Is not one of the koldun, but one of his frozen enemies! A decoration!"

Celestyn doesn't seem worried about the ruin of their progress in reconstructing the Koldun using the statue, instead happy at the progress just made.

"Now if only I could figure out the... ah, dammit! I need to go check on the haven."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »

"What is it?" Steeple asks curiously.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 08:04:39 pm »

Celestyn waves his hand flippantly,

"The guards there - my gargoyle Grigori in particular - will be worried and likely searching for us, I never told them I would spend the day here."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 10:13:41 am »

"Oh," Steeple replies, "Then by all means, lets go check in with them."

"I'll be just a moment," Steeple adds, renewing his Extinguish Ritual for the new night.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:44 am »

Steeple prepares his ritual using some of the tar from Celestyn's torches and one of his own hairs - he approximates that he can extinguish 5 large fires tonight.

---

Grigori has not yet dissolved into ash, a testament to the gargoyle's resilience even in death.

The haven lies in ruins, its mortal servants slaughtered and the Celestyn's personal gargoyle having been hacked to pieces, its head mounted on a pike and its wings damaged and broken.

Celestyn had originally hoped that his body hadn't dissolved because he was still alive, but no amount of blood would help him reform or bring light to his eyes.

The Tremere sits now with his head between his hands, heavily frustrated. It seems he's taking his gargoyle's death pretty hard.

After a while, he says - "We're stuck."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 07:18:25 am »

"What? Who?..." Steeple stammers a moment, taking in all the carnage.

"Someone knew we would be here!" Steeple points out, a bit disturbed.

Then, seeing how Celestyn is taking the loss, he adds compassionately, "mayhaps we could have done something to help fend them off - but on the other hand, we might also have been dragged out into the sun to perish."

"Yes... it is fortunate that we evaded this trap; and they (whoever 'they' are) have tipped their hand... but I would bet they'll try again. Especially as they have us at the disadvantage."

"And what do you mean by 'stuck', exactly?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:20:28 am by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 11:56:42 pm »

"Vovoide Rostog. The bastard has refused to honour his agreement, it seems," the master librarian mumbles.

Clearing his throat, he explains - "We had made a deal with the vovoide of this land. We wold be allowed to research the ruins here and in exchange we would share all of our findings with him. It appears he has decided against honouring our agreement and sent his servants to attack our haven. Fortunately we were not there. Unfortunately, these men were."

Celestyn is silent for a second.

"Mercurius won't check in on us for another 6 days. Grigori was supposed to be our backup messenger in case things went badly. Nor can we trust the animals, a vovoide has hold over all living things in his domain."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 07:37:22 am »

"Farking teet-zees!!!" Steeple growls in ire, "How I despise those loathsome fiends!!!"

Then, tapping his forehead, Steeple continues, his demeanor now suddenly very pragmatic and business-like.

"Six days eh?"

"I suppose we should ask your man who did this and what we are up against."

"I'll perform 'Calling the Restless Dead' if you are amiable. I know this may be difficult for you, but we must survive first and mourn later. Preferably with some revenge thrown there in the middle!"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 12:35:50 pm »

As an afterthought, Steeple thinks to Prince Maurice - 'Our current benefactor, Count Radu aside of course. If there's one teet-zee you can trust not to be totally loathsome, it's got to be him. I'm a pretty good judge of character after all.'

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 03:14:00 pm »

"Hmmm...", Maurice says, deep in thought.

"Perhaps it would be best not to judge Radu so nicely because he made you seneschal. It was more a power play against Stephan than anything else, him stealing his supposed ally's childe from under him. Making you all princes at all was a move by him to spread loyal, partly bonded servants into empty cities. He has influence with you. A lot of influence.

Really I suppose I like the Tzimisce, they are more open and honest about how much of a pawn you are to them. The sneaky ones, like that Vykos - they're much worse monsters. Make no mistake here Steeple, Tzimisce, Ventrue, Lasombra, Toreador - no matter how nicely they pretend to treat you, they're just waiting for a chance to use you or take away your power for themselves.

Like poor Celestyn here. A nice chap, trusting, kind, smart - he just wanted to research some ruins. Now look at him. It doesn't pay well to be all too reasonable, it seems."

Celestyn closes his eyes and rubs at his temples, hunched over with his head in his hands.

"Yes... Yes I suppose we have no choice."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:43:05 pm by Drakilian »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:31 pm »

Steeple is stunned by Prince Maurice's insight.

He always knew his mentor was sagely, but such an incredible display of wisdom!

Falling to one knee, Steeple salutes his Prince solemnly; and says aloud, "I cherish your council as always. The wisdom of Solomon pales next to your omniscience! I only hope to survive long enough to put it to good use!"

Standing back up, Steeple realizes that Celestyn has just heard him, and might think him a little mad - especially given the Malkavian stereotype.

Steeple wasn't mad of course - he was the epitome of clarity right now. But still, one must take care not to alienate one's allies by ravening around them too often, lest one incur the insufferable epitaph 'Fish Malk'.

'Talking to a fish; gads, some Malkies have no creativity,' Steeple thinks to himself.

Then to Celestyn he says with a smile, "Ah... speaking to my muse."

"So, to the task at hand..."

Steeple then begins the ritual that will allow them to question Celestyn's Gargoyles about those that attacked them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:50:14 pm by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 10:06:55 pm »

Celestyn begins reacting to Steeple's performance, looking a little embarassed

"Well, i'm just - "

Then Steeple goes on to explain his intentions.

"Oh. Ah... okay. Suppose we should begin then, yes?"

Steeple might not be surprised that Celestyn knows the proper procedure for the ritual - though the master librarian leaves the casting of the ritual up to Steeple, a touching sign of confidence in his abilities.

Setting some few candles aflame around Girgori's head and beginning the ritual chanting, it isn't long before the ritual takes effect. Grigori's head suddenly moves, as the gargoyle's mouth opens wide to gasp, and then scream.

"Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"

The gargoyle gasps again, and then just keeps on trying to breathe - as if it was still alive and mortal and needed to do so.

It is a while before it speaks, its voice a collection of sad and broken croaks.

"Who has called me?"

Its mouth moves but its eyes seem to see nothing.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 07:05:58 am »

"I am Steeple Carson Olaf Trevesky the Fourth; here with the honorable Master Celestyn," Steeple begins, "We returned to the haven to find that you and the men had been attacked!"

"Who has done this to you? Tell us, that we might take vengeance upon them for their vile treachery!"

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 03:17:29 pm »

Grigori's voice strains it's way from his long-dead stone lips.

"Rostog sent schlacta, lead by his childe Rastovich. They stormed the haven at Dawn's approach and murdered the guardsmen. I fought but they were many and terrible. I was destroyed and put on display when they realized you were not here. They search for you even now."

His sentences are short and clipped. He does not go into detail, nor does he seem particularly capable of such. He summarizes the scene well enough though; exactly as Celestyn had believed it to be - though the addition of the vovoide's childe into the mix makes things the slightest bit more interesting.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 05:44:34 pm »

"This Rastovich," Steeple asks Celestyn, "do you think we could take him between the two of us, if he didn't have all his men?"

"Also, any suggestions how to proceed?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 06:26:04 am »

Steeple tries to think of any place they may have seen in the ruins that could make a good ambush spot.

"Maybe if we set up an area with the Peace of the Dead Ritual, we could take the guards out of the equation, " Steeple considers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:31:24 am by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 02:57:56 pm »

"You'd rend the welp limb from limb", the gargoyle says in a discomforted fashion.

He, however, offers no suggestions.

"It is not a bad plan", Celestyn admits.

"I shall also place a ward against ghouls on the temple, and use the ritual of holding to extend the effects of your casting throughout the night. If we are given enough time I can devise another ritual to render all those who attempt to combat us trapped in time. It should give us enough time to finish our research."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2015, 04:44:08 pm »

"Perhaps then, we should forego rending the Childe limb from limb," Steeple considers.

"If we can find a way to contain him, he could be ransomed to the Viovod for a Boon."

"Besides, I already have one Elder Kindred with it out for me. No sense in adding another... Unless we absolutely have to."

"At any rate, let's do this!"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:49:26 pm by BerkaZerka »

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 09:27:39 pm »

The two mages make their way back to the temple, intending to prepare the place for the attack they were both sure was coming. A lone schlacta was found inside (having scrambled his way up the rope leading into the temple - though through some quick words of power and a touch Celestyn sets the ghoul's blood boiling, killing him almost instantly. Both Steeple and Celestyn feed off the ghoul's remains and then continue with their preparations.

Steeple sets about casting Peace of the Dead, steeling his will and wielding all his magical might in fortifying the effects of the power so as to have it encompass the half of the temple containing the only visible entrance - taking great care to exclude the central chambers in which Celestyn would be working from (lest he trap his own companion in the effects of the ritual).

His first casting goes... less than splendidly. His ritual manages to affect a tiny part of a doorway with a range of one square yard.

He tries again with more vigour and cheers from Prince Maurice, and added pomp in his voice, managing to garb a much larger area of the temple in his spell. Admittedly, not as much as he'd have liked, but a sizeable enough portion to cover all the entrances to the central chambers, at least.

Celestyn works himself while Steeple casts his ritual, enacting the Ritual of Holding to make sure Steeple won't have to recast the ritual every day. It will extend for a full week, and Steeple and Steeple alone (well, Prince Maurice too) will be completely immune to its effects.

Meanwhile, Celestyn has begun casting his second own defensive ritual.

"I'll need to be uninterrupted for five hours to complete this. Can you hold the temple in that time?" He asks of Steeple.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:54 am »

"I'll hold them in here," Steeple replies, making sure to pull up the rope, so it no longer signals anyone where they are.

Steeple then sets about pushing large stones and rubble up to the edge of the opening in the tower and selecting a few nice-sized stones in the ceiling, which he plans on having fall out/over onto someone's head if/when needed (using Animate the Unmoving).

He also spikes all the doors exiting the area shut (so as to prevent/delay an easy bypass of his little trap).

Once satisfied with the preparations, Steeple hides himself in the shadows near the opening in the tower (using good old fashion Stealth).

"Let's see what kind of flies we can catch in our little web," Steeple says to Prince Maurice.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 02:30:33 pm »

Steeple is halfway done sealing the doors when he senses the sun beginning to rise beyond the temple doors. Cursing, he runs to Prince Maurice's encouragement to retrieve the rope from the gap in the temple, pulling it up before the sun can cast its rays over the area, shielding it form his touch.

As he pulls up the rope, however, he notices something moving in the distance - too large to simply be the idle rustling of wind over grass, certainly to focused to be the random movement of a bird or a smaller animal. He's forced back inside before he can get a good look at whatever it is.

"Well, that can hardly be anything good."

There remain 3 accessible access paths that enemies could use to enter the central chamber of the temple unsealed by Steeple, each with an environment Steepleton could easily use to his advantage given his control over inanimate objects. Prince Maurice's personal favourite are the paired guardsman statues at each unsealed doorway that Steeple can animate to run through helpless passerby.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:38:23 pm by Drakilian »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »

"Well," Steeple remarks, "If this is a web, then I guess I'm the spider."

He then climbs up to the ceiling and hides overhead (using Unseen Presence, only if needed, to remain unseen by whoever will enter the chamber first) ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up