Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghost In The Machine  (Read 129899 times)

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • A challenge you say? Well i refuse!
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost In The Machine
« Reply #300 on: December 02, 2015, 08:25:55 am »

Jacob doesnt even consider doing that. "Noone is shooting anyone." He says. "He's a kid. A child. That any of you is even thinking it disgusts me."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 02, 2015, 09:01:37 am »

"Who wants to kill him?" Butch asks, looking mighty confused.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • A challenge you say? Well i refuse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:04 am »

"Oh, sorry. I wasnt listenikg and guessed what you were talking about." He shrugs.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:52 am »

At this point there is a loud shriek from Moonkit, who scurries over to hide behind Butch.

"A snake! He's got a snake! Is it poisonous?!?" Moonkit asks in alarm.

Meanwhile, Brownie laughs at Moonkit.

"It's not poisonous. Snooky is a nice snake. He only eats bugs."

Looking, everyone sees the boy tuck a small green snake back into his front overalls pocket.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 02, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »

Montoya sighs "No, no, the Orher syndicate is clearly trying to kill him to damage the syndicate he is from, which is why we send him back to. His own family and leave the syndicates to fight it out. And I'm sure his uncle will be just fine too."

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2015, 10:47:00 pm »

"This isnt a parent getting their kids back. This is a syndic trying to get a payday."

"So where are the kid's parents? Let's drop him off with them and let them deal with the syndicates", Gilbert says, anxious to shake the syndicate.

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:57 pm »

Ethel returns to the group, a bit flustered. "So the ghost was just a stow-away kid... That's cute. But why are they looking for you, Brownie? Am I missing something?"

She yawns, stretching her arms out again. "I mean, they're also looking for the uncle. So what'd you two do?"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:51:04 pm by Tanstaafl »

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:23 am »

"So where are the kid's parents? Let's drop him off with them and let them deal with the syndicates", Gilbert says, anxious to shake the syndicate.
"We're not getting him back to Venus without the syndic knowing. And we can't take on a whole syndicate by ourselves." Butch aays, shaking his head.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »

With no real resolution decided on, and another twenty hours left in Hyperspace, the crew of the Desperado simply elects to figure it out later; and all go to bed for the night.

Of course, Brownie is invited for a sleepover at 'Moonkit's place' - meaning Butch somehow ends up with (at least for the time being) another dependent.

---

The next morning, as everyone is leaving their quarters, Cillian collides with Ethel coming around opposite corners of a corridor - as Cillian was stalking (?) Gilbert at the time, and wasn't looking where he was going...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:37:01 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2015, 07:34:45 pm »

In Butch's room, Moonkit and Brownie wake Butch. The first thing he sees, is the face of a green snake staring him in the eyes. For a second he thinks it's a practical joke to startle him, but then realizes something is wrong.

"Something is wrong with Brownie's snake," Moonkit says with concern from the foot of the bed - keeping her distance, as Brownie holds the snake out over Butch for him to see.

The snake looks very lethargic - if not half dead - maybe the kid rolled over on it in his sleep?

"Snooky is sick," the boy whimpers pathetically, eyes filling with tears. "Can you help him?"

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2015, 07:46:45 pm »

The next morning, as everyone is leaving their quarters, Cillian collides with Ethel coming around opposite corners of a corridor - as Cillian was stalking (?) Gilbert at the time, and wasn't looking where he was going...

Fragile as he is, the unexpected impact knocks Cillian to the ground.  From the corridor floor, he looks up at her. "Ethel, are you okay?"

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 04, 2015, 01:42:01 pm »

"Oof, sorry about that!" Seeming a bit distracted, Ethel herself is nearly thrown off balance, but manages to stay up. "I'm alright," she laughs, "but you look like you need a hand," and holds her own out as she says so.

Seeming a bit on edge herself, she asks, "You in a rush or something?"

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 04, 2015, 02:47:44 pm »

Cillian takes a deep breath.  It said she still had a good heart.. He grasps her outstretched hand and pulls himself up.
"I know you're in trouble.  I saw the white knight."  He can always say it was a joke, a kid's game.  "Did you already get the sample?"

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 05, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

"Uh... No?"

Her eyes shift nervously before focusing in, "No, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but, uh, that's nice, Cillian. I'm doing fine, just a bit tired is all... " Should prolly pay more attention when I'm walking, right?" She releases his hand, knowing full-well she's not good at masking the truth.

Releasing a yawn, Ethel turns around, not facing Cillian anymore, noting absentmindedly, "We should get going to breakfast, right..."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:27 pm »

In Butch's room, Moonkit and Brownie wake Butch. The first thing he sees, is the face of a green snake staring him in the eyes. For a second he thinks it's a practical joke to startle him, but then realizes something is wrong.

"Something is wrong with Brownie's snake," Moonkit says with concern from the foot of the bed - keeping her distance, as Brownie holds the snake out over Butch for him to see.

The snake looks very lethargic - if not half dead - maybe the kid rolled over on it in his sleep?

"Snooky is sick," the boy whimpers pathetically, eyes filling with tears. "Can you help him?"
Butch groans.
"Yeah yeah, sure. Lets take it to someone who knows medicine." Butch mutters, as he gets out of bed, muttering all along.

"Hey, anyone know anything about snakes and meda for snakes?" Butch asks on the comms. "Otherwise Ill have to latch onto the Computer for a bit, and I'm prettt aure that freaks out Moonkit."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2015, 11:42:18 pm »

"To the medbay!" Montoya announces "We can look it up as we go, unless Crystal can scan it or somthing with the equiptment in there."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2015, 11:56:42 pm »

"Something wrong with the kid's creepy pet? Just send it over, I can fix the scaly shit back up no problem," Crystal says over coms.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2015, 08:26:20 am »

"Okay," Cillian sighs dejectedly.   "but if you want help, just ask, okay?"

(Assuming they did give him a com eventually) he heads in search of Crystal & brownie.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2015, 09:00:49 am »

"Something wrong with the kid's creepy pet? Just send it over, I can fix the scaly shit back up no problem," Crystal says over coms.
"Sounds good." Butch says.

"Come on kids, we gotta go over to Crystal. She'll make your snake feel much better." Butch says, chuckling as he begins to head to Crystal's room.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:28 am »

Cillian, Butch, and the kids arrive at Cyrstal's room and Brownie shows her the small green snake.

It's very lethargic and barely responds to being handled. It also looks off-color (somehow) and has swelling in its belly.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »

Crystal rubs gently at the snake's belly, to see if she can feel something hard in there.

"What have you been feeding this thing?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »

Crystal can feel something 'unusual' in there...

"My dad feeds him at home and Uncle Mike feeds him when I visit," Brownie replies; "He eats bugs."

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »

Ethel joins the rest of the crew in Crystal's room, a bit confused as to what's going on. "That snake is seriously messed up... Lemme check something..."

Taking out a Diagnostic Scanner, she lazily waves it directing at the people in the room before focusing on the snake.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

Ethel's scan picks up some rather unusual chemistry inside the snake - in fact, Ethel doesn't immediately recognize it...

---

Chemistry 14+2X 1d20 : 14, total 14

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »

Searching her mind for the chemical equivalent to what she is seeing on the scanner, Ether suddenly remembers a medical journal she had read last year.

It was about promising new medical technology being developed from the uber-rare Angel Lotus plants that grow exclusively on Venus. The plants were found to hold amazing regenerative properties and are currently the focus of intense medical study. It is hoped that a multitude of miracle drugs can be created from the Angel Lotus plant and enough preliminary success has occurred to make the Angel Lotus (or its seeds), an incredibly lucrative Black Market item.

The current value of Angel Lotus seeds on the Black Market is estimated to be about 8,000,000w each.

Sure enough, this is the Angel Lotus signature emanating from inside the snake...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:11:22 pm by BerkaZerka »

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2015, 02:21:47 pm »

"Woah, hey guys, this is pretty wack."

Ethel goes into detail about what she remembers about it, but the main gist of it is what she says at the very end; "... So it seems like the snake ate a really expensive plant from Venus. We could make a lotta money if we get it to poop it out or something."

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2015, 02:24:37 pm »

"Hmm, give me a second, i'll get to the medical bay and get the proper equipment to have him regurgitate whatever it is out," Crystal says - in part because she needs to get away from the kids do enact the extremely violent procedure, and in part because her now very overly-crowded room is making her have an uncomfortably difficult time breathing properly.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »

Crystal takes the snake into the medical bay and (not being a surgeon), slices it open rather brutally, to pull a small plastic capsule from inside its stomach.

The trauma to the snake is rather severe; and requires Crystal to use Heal (which she is able to do, after mentally pushing a wave of psychosis away that threatens to overcome her, when she initially activates the power). The snake immediately regains vitality and hisses angrily at Crystal, threatening to bite.

Inside the capsule, Crystal (and anyone else that followed - barring the children) see four Angel Lotus seeds...

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2015, 03:06:35 pm »

Crystal whispers as if she'd just found a room filled with gold, eyes wide, not a single care in the world given to the snake.

"Oh we hit the motherlode crew."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:03 pm »

"So, we taking this to a research lab or planting it and learning to farm?" Butch asks, following Crystal in.

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »

"We're going to give it back, right?  When we take Brownie home?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »

"We're going to give it back, right?  When we take Brownie home?"
"To a syndicate?" Butch asks, incredulous

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2015, 03:33:50 pm »

"Give what back to who? I just saved this snake, and a capsule containing extremely valuable seeds happened to be inside of it. It's ours now."

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

"But it's not yours.  It's Brownie's," Cillian says with the implacable logic of a  small child.

He looks at Butch with surprise.  "You don't want to help Brownie get home?"  the Lopan said he was a hero? Am I reading it wrong?

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »

"Ahh, now I get it. Cill, do you know what a syndic is?" Butch asks

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:05 pm »

"Are you going to tell me it's okay to steal from someone as long as you think they're a bad person?" says Cillian. "So what if Brownies dad & uncle are part of a syndicate?  Does that mean you're going to keep him here forever? Even if he wants to go home?"

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2015, 04:13:19 pm »

Montoyarelieves Crystal of the now energetic and Angry snake and heads for the door (Brownie not having been present from what has been said before about not letting him see this.) "I'll return the snake to Brownie and make sure he is happy, what happens to the seeds needs discussed but I am going to see what Brownie wants too."

He heads back to Brownie and hands over the snake "There, all better and full of energy! He had just eaten somthing he shouldn't." If it looks like Brownie is willing to talk now he adds "So Brownie, where does all your family live?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2015, 04:14:01 pm »

"If they are criminals, then if we return Brownie, he'll be a criminal too. Do you think thats best for him? Or for us to find him an actually good home for him?" Butch asks.

"Bad people shouldnt raise kids, Cill. And we got a duty to help them."

"And yeah, if a Syndic wants a ton of money, I'm not gonna give it to them. A good guy doesnt fund organized crime, Cill. Think Robin Hood, except stealing from the evil and rich."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2015, 04:29:39 pm »

... "So Brownie, where does all your family live?"

"My dad and me live in Cinema City," Brownie answers the Captain, "Uncle Mike lives in Venus Vegas."

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »

Gilbert silently watches everyone else in the room, unsure of what to do. Obviously he wants to keep the seeds, but so does everyone else, so he probably doesn't need to voice his opinion on that.

"I um... I think we should just give the kid back. It's better than making an enemy out of an entire syndicate, and who knows, maybe they treat him alright too."

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »

"Yeah, kid has no place with us." Ethel agrees, her eyes fixated on the seeds. "Might as well give him back to wherever he's from, but as for these things... If we sell them to a good research team we can pay back a lot of debt, not to mention help humanity while we're at it. So why not?"

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2015, 04:37:54 pm »

Cillian is surprised but grateful for Gilbert's apparent support.

"You can't just take people away from their parents!" he says to Butch. 

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2015, 05:27:00 pm »

"Yeah, kid has no place with us." Ethel agrees, her eyes fixated on the seeds. "Might as well give him back to wherever he's from, but as for these things... If we sell them to a good research team we can pay back a lot of debt, not to mention help humanity while we're at it. So why not?"
"Not suggesting we keep him. I got my hands full with keeping Moonkit, even if Tubbs is a great babysitter. Just cant let him back into the syndic. Itll ruin him, trust me." Butch says, shaking his head.

"I like your second suggestion though. Gets us the best of both worlds." Butch then adds, nodding in agreement.

Cillian is surprised but grateful for Gilbert's apparent support.

"You can't just take people away from their parents!" he says to Butch. 
"I hate the idea, kid, but if it's for their best, then it's for their best. Think Moonkit woulda been better off with her bitch of a mom?!" Butch asks, practically shouting angrily.

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2015, 06:06:26 pm »

"Captain... We need your, um, fearless leadership to decide on something", Gilbert calls over the comms, hoping that Inigo will choose their side so they can dump the kid.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2015, 06:14:03 pm »

"On my way!" he calls sounding happy for.Brownies benefit. "Sorry Brownie I have to go again but you can play with Moonkit, Vicini and the monkey! Oh just before I go, what's your daddy like?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 06, 2015, 08:18:07 pm »

Brownie replies to the Captain's question about his father, "He's my dad. He's very important. He doesn't stand for no disrespect."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »

"Do you really like living with him? And what does he do, does he work with your Unkle?"

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2015, 08:58:28 pm »

"I don't know, I don't know her-- just like you don't know brownie's dad!" yells Cillian.  "You can't tell someone they're better off without their parents! Maybe he loves his dad and his dad loves him! And that's more important than if anyone thinks they can do better!"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »

"Do you really like living with him? And what does he do, does he work with your Unkle?"

"My dad is in 'business'," Brownie replies (clearly not knowing what that means), "that's what he does with Uncle Mike."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2015, 12:30:49 am »

"Thankyou Brownie, have fun now!"

He heads back to the others.

"I heard the chat but we are Heros of justice, not it's arbiters over others lives. The boy is happy with his family and I am not sure if his father is syndicate or just his Uncle, we shall research carefully even if it is ultimately his choice. As for the seeds, more research, find where they came from and possibilities for their use, I'm sure there are proper and honest research labs that could do good work with them."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up