Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Gaaaamergaaate~!  (Read 29906 times)

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
  • Flying bears, now THAT'S a scary thought!
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Gaaaamergaaate~!
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »

There's an 'unarmed' game dev who can't be doxed or SWATed, though! ^_^

Do you actually do sword-stuff, Sent? If so, what kind? I've never actually trained with anything sharp, it's been all waster, boffer, & foil so far. I did once have Elizabeth Moon show me how to hold a rapier... but again, a practice weapon of the not-sharp sort.

I have an older cousin of a friend who works as an actor/stunt guy for Medieval Times. He brings home old/blunted/broken stage and reenactment swords and sometimes tells us stuff about them, (usually when he thinks we're going to hurt ourselves by accident) but the extent of my knowledge on swords comes from Lindybeige and the free stuff you find around here. I don't understand any of the finer points, and my muscle memory isn't good enough to get down any higher form of fightery other than basic/obvious shit, but I get the theoretical uses for things like all the different guards. My area of expertise is hitting things that are thrown at me, though. Usually old basketballs and bike helmets. As awesome as wielding a two-hander would be in most other circumstances, and something I would actually love to do, I'm afraid its much lamer one-handed Espada counterpart is more practical when Farking up an attempt to play baseball. Those are the only two kinds of swords they seem to use at MT, but I'm not complaining, I get to play swords with my friend and his cousin.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:25:25 pm by Arthesul »
Shitty shitters shit shitty shits shittily shitting shittier shits.
See? Fark isn't the only word you can make a sentence out of!

Morgan_R

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »

Nice! Linky is not working for me, though.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 05:41:12 pm »

I recently aquires two swords - a gladius and a cutlass. They're awesome and I love them more than most people.

Also got a longbow and some arrows.

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »

I recently aquires two swords - a gladius and a cutlass. They're awesome and I love them more than most people.

Also got a longbow and some arrows.

Love them more than you love most people, or more than most people love them?

I've been considering learning archery. Did you get a recurve or compound bow?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 06:05:28 pm »

The first one.

It's a recurve bow. Those compound ones look ridiculous though.

Got all of it from a tenant who abandonned them in his apartment when he left.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:46:25 pm by Drakilian »

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

I have a few swords of varying sizes, the mitzikana is roughly the size and weight of my bokken so I used to ba able to train with it :)

I'll actually be getting a hunting bow soon but I haven't done archery is several years and dread how rusty I will be at it, gonna enroll in a local club to try and get back up to scratch.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »

Nice! Linky is not working for me, though.

Tried getting the link to work, but it just doesn't seem to. It's a list of sword treatises from Thearma. I usually read the viking Sagas, because they're entertaining, and some of the straight-up "Manual" manuals are kind of like reading about how to make mouth noises. I don't associate/translate instructional words to physical actions that well.

Morgan_R

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 02:35:24 pm »

Tried getting the link to work, but it just doesn't seem to. It's a list of sword treatises from Thearma. I usually read the viking Sagas, because they're entertaining, and some of the straight-up "Manual" manuals are kind of like reading about how to make mouth noises. I don't associate/translate instructional words to physical actions that well.

Heh, yeah, taking the manuals and turning them into actual swordplay is what the group I'm rejoining is all about. And I think it takes a minimum of three people -- two to be trying out the moves together, and a third to be watching and telling them they're doing it wrong.  ;D

Nice to see that some other folks are weapon-geeks. There's apparently an archery range in one of the other mill buildings near me, but I'm really more into melee right now.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2016, 04:47:49 pm »

I would love to do a European Sword fighting course! I have loads of old blades lying around here, including a 6 ft claymore with boar guards. There are some nifty YouTube vids on stuff you can do with them.

On the Eastern side, I have fiddled around with Haidong Gumdo (a Korean sword art) and have a giant no-dachi, which is completely awesome, yet totally useless for the sport haha! (Now, if I have to unhorse anyone in the near future, then I am well prepared...)  ;D

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »

I would love to do a European Sword fighting course! I have loads of old blades lying around here, including a 6 ft claymore with boar guards. There are some nifty YouTube vids on stuff you can do with them.

On the Eastern side, I have fiddled around with Haidong Gumdo (a Korean sword art) and have a giant no-dachi, which is completely awesome, yet totally useless for the sport haha! (Now, if I have to unhorse anyone in the near future, then I am well prepared...)  ;D

I think your claymore might actually an anti-cavalry/anti-spear sword. Claymores usually weren't any longer than a 4th grader because they were supposed to be two-handers that could be used for (defensive-ish) close-quarters combat in a pinch, I think. (Hence the leather grip/blunt edges on the bottom of the blade) Skallagrim's demonstrated that you can use normal two-handed swords for close quarters combat by half-swording and bashing and stuff, but I guess the Claymore works better because you can get more use out of the crossguard and therefore armor-prying and grappling techniques that were taught, instead of improvised/unoptimized movesets while you try to get in the good range again. But I'm no expert, I just listen to the theories of some experts on youtube and google.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:44:41 pm by Arthesul »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2016, 11:11:15 am »

... I just listen to the theories of some experts on youtube and google.

Which on the internet, is all the qualifications one needs to be an expert!  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up