Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disciples OOC  (Read 2558 times)

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Disciples OOC
« Reply #350 on: December 02, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »

So how does enchanting items in this game work? Emend has the ability to do so now with his prime 3, but I'm kind of confused by how it would work.

Imbued items are granted one or more magical powers. In effect, whoever wields the imbued item gains the benefits of its spells, even though he did not necessarily cast them. See the “Imbued Item” Merit, p. 84.

Each spell remains imbued for as long as its Duration. Most imbued items are made with spells of indefinite Duration, and the caster usually relinquishes such an item from his control so it no longer applies to his maximum spell limit. Doing so costs one Willpower dot. See “Relinquishing Control of Spells,” p. 220. One

Mana point must be spent per spell imbued, in addition to any Mana normally required for the casting of each spell.

The caster decides whether each spell imbued into the item is persistent (always active) or contingent (triggered by a word, gesture or condition). Even contingent spells imbued into an item must be made indefinite, or they disappear from the item when their Duration expires.

So after relinquishing the item from his control (which I assume just means no one "owns" the item's spell anymore), is mana required to activate the item? I mean, if it is always active that would be a weird mechanic.

Do spells of infinite duration refer to only spells with that duration, or is different when you enchant an item?

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 02, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »

So, I assume i'm going to have to recast my spells if I want to have those buffs up right?

Not sure, really. Could see an argument for going either way really.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »

So how does enchanting items in this game work? Emend has the ability to do so now with his prime 3, but I'm kind of confused by how it would work.

So after relinquishing the item from his control (which I assume just means no one "owns" the item's spell anymore), is mana required to activate the item? I mean, if it is always active that would be a weird mechanic.

Do spells of infinite duration refer to only spells with that duration, or is different when you enchant an item?

From what I remember without looking, you have to cast that spell in conjunction with purchasing the Imbued Item Merit. So, the Item is permanent, but costs XP to make it so.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
  • Kind eyes or Killer eyes, YOU decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »

Wait really? I thought the cost was the willpower point you're getting rid of for the permanent duration (or the spell slot).

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »

From what I remember without looking, you have to cast that spell in conjunction with purchasing the Imbued Item Merit. So, the Item is permanent, but costs XP to make it so.

Right. I think i remember you mentioning that earlier now.

Still, might be worth having a magically enhanced gun.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2017, 07:36:31 pm »

Wait really? I thought the cost was the willpower point you're getting rid of for the permanent duration (or the spell slot).

Dang it Drak! Now I have to go look it up haha!

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:42 pm »

I mean, it just seems weird that you'd have to spend exp buying a merit when you're already giving up either a spell slot or a permanent willpower point for the effect anyway.

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 03, 2017, 12:18:54 am »

I mean, it just seems weird that you'd have to spend exp buying a merit when you're already giving up either a spell slot or a permanent willpower point for the effect anyway.

According to the reference sheet you "give up" the spell, thus no longer using up a spell slot. Not entirely sure how that works though.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 03, 2017, 01:36:33 am »

I mean, yeah, it says that you give up the spell by expending a permanent willpower point, so it's either you have one of your valuable and difficult to aquire spell slots eaten up by the imbued item for as long as it's imbued (so still a spell for a spell), or you use up a permanent willpower point (that is worth a experience points) after having permanently imbued the item with the spell without taking up a spell slot.

For how that works, if you look at duration section for spells it talks about spells with infinite duration being possible, and the only way to end them/stop maintaining them yourself being to spend a permanent willpower point (Which is probably where they got that from here).

It's just that I don't see why an additional exp cost should be tacked onto the cost you're already paying for an imbued item, which I already feel is pretty significant.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »

Imbue Item (Prime •••)
The mage can imbue an item with magical powers.

Practice: Weaving
Action: Extended
Duration: By Imbued Spell's Duration
Aspect: Special
Cost: 1 Mana per spell

Imbued items are granted one or more magical powers. In effect, whoever wields the imbued item gains the benefits of its spells, even though he did not necessarily cast them. See the “Imbued Item” Merit, p. 84.

The target number is equal to the successes required for all the spells imbued into the item. The mage must be able to cast each spell he wants to imbue, and each spell’s target number is determined as if he were casting that spell as an extended action. The target numbers of all spells to be imbued are combined to find the successes needed for the Imbue Item casting.

Each spell remains imbued for as long as its Duration. Most imbued items are made with spells of indefinite Duration, and the caster usually relinquishes such an item from his control so it no longer applies to his maximum spell limit. Doing so costs one Willpower dot. See “Relinquishing Control of Spells,” p. 220. One  Mana point must be spent per spell imbued, in addition to any Mana normally required for the casting of each spell.

The caster decides whether each spell imbued into the item is persistent (always active) or contingent (triggered by a word, gesture or condition). Even contingent spells imbued into an item must be made indefinite, or they disappear from the item when their Duration expires.

The caster can give the item the capacity to hold Mana points. Doing so requires three successes and the item has a capacity of 10 points plus one per spell imbued. Mana must be spent for the caster to actually fill the capacity of points, or else someone with the “Channel Mana” spell (p. 224) can do so later. The aspect of casting (covert or vulgar) depends on the spells imbued into the item. If the item is imbued with vulgar spells, it risks a Paradox whenever these powers are used. The Paradox dice pool is based on the Gnosis of the imbued item’s creator at the time of the item’s creation (if his Gnosis later rises, the item’s Paradox dice pool does not also rise).

Mysterium Rote: Forge of Power
Dice Pool: Composure + Crafts + Prime

Just as Mysterium mages seek out relics long lost, they create new objects of power, applying ancient arts to modern artifice. Silver Ladder willworkers use the rote as well in the crafting of their own enchanted items.

---

Imbued Item (•• or higher)
Effect: Your mage has a magical item with one or more powers. The Prime Arcanum was used to imbue a spell into the object so that its wielder has that power at his disposal (see pp. 225-226).

An imbued item’s base Merit dot cost is equal to one dot plus the dot rating of its Arcanum power, plus one dot per additional power. If it has more than one power or uses a conjunctional spell, use the highest Arcanum dot rating involved.

Base Cost: 1 dot + highest Arcanum dots + 1 dot per additional power.

Imbued items have the following properties.

Function: Persistent or contingent. A persistent power is always active. The power does not have to be cast by the user to take effect; he simply needs to hold or wear the item. These include amulets of luck, magical body armor or goggles that let the wearer peer into the Shadow Realm. The user must use or wear the imbued item to benefit from the power, but the power cannot be turned on or off with a switch, command word or the like. If one or more of the imbued item’s powers is persistent (i.e., of indefinite Duration), add one dot to its total cost.

A contingent power needs to be activated for each use. The mage squeezes the gun’s trigger or utters the staff’s magic word and calls forth its magic. Duration depends on the default Duration of the spell mimicked by the effect, and is usually transitory (one turn) or prolonged (one hour/scene). Once this period expires, the mage may use the same trigger to use the power again. A trigger should be an appropriate instant action, anything performed within the proximity of the item: verbal commands, gestures and so on.

When the trigger is activated, the imbued item’s spellcasting dice pool is rolled. It is equal to its wielder’s Gnosis + the Arcanum dots used for the power.

Mana: If a contingent power requires Mana, the item must either have its own Mana pool or the mage must supply the points himself. Some imbued items have their own Mana pools. This costs an additional Merit dot and the item holds up to 10 Mana points + 1 per spell (i.e., an imbued item with two spells can hold up to 12 Mana). Its user can draw points from the imbued item to fuel its powers rather than spending his own. This pool is not self-replenishing. Once the points have been used up, the mage must spend his own Mana to restore the imbued item’s points, or use Prime magic to transfer them from a Hallow or some other source.

Unlike an Artifact, an imbued item’s points can be used only to activate its powers, unless the mage uses the “Channel Mana” spell (see p. 224) to place the item’s points somewhere else.

Sleepers: Even a Sleeper can use an imbued item. If its power is persistent, he need only hold or wear it. If it’s contingent, he need only perform the proper trigger. The spellcasting dice pool rolled is equal to the highest Arcanum dot rating used to determine the Imbued Item’s Merit dots, based on the highest rated power (as described above). Since Sleepers do not have Gnosis, it cannot be added to the dice pool. Needless to say, Sleepers must rely on an item’s own Mana pool to fuel its powers.

Paradox: Imbued items’ vulgar powers can invoke Paradoxes, even when wielded by Sleepers. The dice pool is equal to half the item’s Merit dots (round down). (If the item is created during play with the Prime 3 “Imbue Item” spell, pp. 225-226, the Paradox dice pool is based on the Gnosis of the imbued item’s creator.) Items that produce vulgar effects before the eyes of a Sleeper witnesses will also invoke Disbelief (see p. 274). His own inability to accept the magic undermines the magic.

Example: A ring that allows a mage to turn himself invisible on a contingent basis would cost four dots (1 + a 3-dot Forces spell), while a sword with a persistent power that allows it to cut through iron would be rated at five dots (1 + a 3-dot Matter spell + 1 dot for indefinite Duration).

An item can be both imbued and enhanced. See “Enhanced Item,” above. Simply add the cost of all imbuements and enhancements together to determine the item’s total cost.

Acquiring an imbued item once play begins does not cost Merit dots; characters must gain these items through roleplaying actions. If an item is ever lost, stolen or destroyed, the character loses the Merit and the points he spent to gain it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:48:08 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »

Prolonged Spells
A prolonged spell’s default Duration is one scene or one hour.

Duration | Dice Penalty
One scene/hour
None (basic success)
Two hours
–2
12 hours
–4
24 hours
–6
Two days
–8*
* Impose an additional –2 dice penalty per extra +2 days. For example, a four-day prolonged Duration would levy a –10 dice penalty.

Advanced Prolongation: If a mage has dots in the spell’s primary Arcanum that are one or more higher than normally required to cast the spell, he can increase the Duration by even more dramatic steps.

Duration | Dice Penalty
One scene/hour
None (basic success)
24 hours
–2
Two days
–4
One week
–6
One month
–8
Indefinite*
–10
* The spell is permanent until cancelled or dispelled. Living targets, however, grow, change and heal. Spells with an indefinite Duration cannot be cast upon a living creature.

A vulgar spell with Duration longer than one hour or scene might suffer from the corrosive effects of Disbelief whenever a Sleeper witnesses the magic. See “Disbelief,” p. 274.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:50:59 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 03, 2017, 01:49:18 pm »

Yeah, these are two different things. XP is spent to get one (presumably from someone else) - while the spell allows for temporary Imbued items that cease to function after their Duration. A permanent one is possible, at the cost of the Spell Slot (or Willpower Point).

This means however that to make a permanent Imbued Item, you need the spell’s primary Arcanum one or more higher than normally required to cast the spell you want to Imbue for the Advanced Duration. Then take a -10 dice penalty to the roll.

But then what about a Transient Effect? It's not well thought out or explained. Probably just going to go with what I pointed out in the above paragraph for all cases though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:51:41 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 03, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »

Need an 'acknowledgment post' for Emend and Robor, before moving on to the next Scene.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 03, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »

Thanks! Update Posted.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 04, 2017, 12:02:06 am »

So, what is Emend going to do about the communications he found?

I'm pretty sure it's info on the demon cabal that we stumbled into, if we don't have the time to analyze it now it's honestly probably best to just let Morrowind take a snapshot of it/transfer the information to Jarome so that they can find out what it is, otherwise it'll probably end up useless

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:00 am »

So, what is Emend going to do about the communications he found?

I'm pretty sure it's info on the demon cabal that we stumbled into, if we don't have the time to analyze it now it's honestly probably best to just let Morrowind take a snapshot of it/transfer the information to Jarome so that they can find out what it is, otherwise it'll probably end up useless

Gonna have Robor help him remember it with the sword so he can properly analyze it, after the adventure. I don't have high hopes it would be useful at the moment. I actually didn't think it will be useful at all, but kind of had to go for it given the character Emend is.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 04, 2017, 09:43:26 am »

It won't be too late by then?

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 04, 2017, 09:51:00 am »

It won't be too late by then?

In game it should only be an hour or so before he gets the chance to ask Robor, so I imagine it will be fine.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 04, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »

In game it should only be an hour or so before he gets the chance to ask Robor, so I imagine it will be fine.

Yeah, should be fine.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:55 pm »

Saint will have to grab something on the other side of the portal for his bees. He already succeeded with the roll, but there is no plant life in the Verizon building to use.

Easy enough to grab a shrub or something off the university grounds however...  ;D

---

Drak, just edit your current post (Nevermind, I added it to the update), to show Saint casting the spell on something growing in the alley, like a vine, scraggly tree, stray cat, etc... Then have the bees hide under the robes.

(Also, make them those Giant Asian Hornet things haha!)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:55:42 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 04, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »

Just need to know what Robor does in preparation and Usdiyona (if anything)  :)

Also, working on the next update to the original game thread. Will post, once everyone has moved through the portal in the waiting for news thread.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2017, 05:40:24 pm »

Excellent...  >:D  ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2017, 07:16:57 pm »

Updates Posted: First Waiting for News, then Dark Web.  8)

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »

Started writing and then just kinda didn't stop >.>

At least half of that is Killer bullshitting to some degree, trying to plant the idea that maybe the angels aren't quite as trustworthy as they look (but you can always trust me Miguel, I see it for what it really is...) and seeing just how flexible Miguel's morality is, with the easy excuse of "This isn't really him, he's just worried about his child" if Miguel ends up horrified by the idea.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 05, 2017, 12:25:35 am »

Beats is giving into his pride a bit here as I think is obvious in his slighly scattered train of thought

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »

Working on the update. Don't know if I'll have time to post tonight or not.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »

OK, posted.  :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:10 pm »

Any of you guys interested in Sent's Assassins/Mafia game?

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:38 pm »

No time :(

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Guru
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:53 pm »

I was gonna post. If it was in like, two weeks I'd be down but its final season

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:06 am »

Assuming it works the way I think it does, control sound seems super OP. A single success is enough to turn a yell into an ear-shattering noise, assuming the "double" and "half" are working on the decibel scale.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:56 am »

Huh, funny that there are two thunderous whisper rotes (I control+f ed it and the name was shared for two spells).

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:33 am »

I was gonna post. If it was in like, two weeks I'd be down but its final season

Yeah, I was wondering about finals before the holiday break.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »

Just to clarify, "Campus" = more than one building. The disciples can see six or more buildings inside the fence, including one large five-story building. (There are actually thirteen buildings, but the first six block the view of the rest).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:52:11 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

Huh, funny that there are two thunderous whisper rotes (I control+f ed it and the name was shared for two spells).

Think the frequency one is a typo.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:55 pm »

While I would rather avoid it, if you are having a hard time visualizing the scene - you can literally check it out on google maps, street view. Just look up Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Anonas, Santa Mesa, Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines.

Start at the PUP Main Building and follow the river to the east.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:56 pm »

Ah, didn't realize people were still looking at us.

On the plus side, I imagine the police response time to a catholic priest with a sword cutting open a hole in a security fence will not be very good (I mean, who would believe them?) so we probably have enough time to act here.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:31 pm »

That is a surprisingly good point haha!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2017, 01:14:25 pm »

Beats and UsdiYona are on the ground.

The Saint, Emend, and Robor are still on the street with a smattering of onlookers observing the goings on.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:05 pm »

Pffft "overreaching"

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 09, 2017, 04:08:17 pm »

Sooo... several funny things could happen but I decided that Beats would think this was a great idea that would simply break the box and turn all power off. In reality it could burst into a massive fire sending loose power cables sparking down everywhere... Massive power surge to the campus blowing fuses and frying every non-surge protected device... cause feedback and blow the main junction box for the area and taking down power for the entire area...

Have fun Berka lol

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2017, 01:17:11 pm »

Beats avoids both Paradox and Disbelief, due to being out of sight while casting, and the plausibility of a transformer blowing, being quite high.  8)

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2017, 08:01:11 pm »

>:D

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2017, 07:44:01 pm »

Is it possible for Beats to do why he is trying? The wording the space dtuff seems a tiny big vague about if he could detext wards from range and their types

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »

Yeah, and with what the Saint said and what Beats is doing, you'll pinpoint the exact spot.

Will update tonight.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »

Hey Killa, I meant to ask you - did your cell phone still work when you went overseas?

For simplicity, I'm going to allow Beats' phone to work, but I was just wondering.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »

It definitely wouldn't work unless Beats has a very specific phone plan. But if Emend can cheat and connect him to a local cell tower it could work anyway maybe?

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »

It definitely wouldn't work unless Beats has a very specific phone plan. But if Emend can cheat and connect him to a local cell tower it could work anyway maybe?

Yeah, Emend's Forces and Prime are high enough that he can get internet anywhere in the world for free haha!  :D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 12, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »

I imagine that Emend and Robor would probably have business cell plans that allowed world-wide phone service, for all that high-end wheeling and dealing.

killa_robot

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:57 pm »

Hey Killa, I meant to ask you - did your cell phone still work when you went overseas?

For simplicity, I'm going to allow Beats' phone to work, but I was just wondering.

Not in the Philippines no, but that's because none of our service providers in Canada have agreements with providers there. Like you said, I imagine business phones would work just fine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up