Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadows of Things Past  (Read 17576 times)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Shadows of Things Past
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:24:17 pm »

Continued From (Enemies At The Gates)

---

Walking across the gauntlet, Robor and Beats found themselves entering the shadow on the edge of a large familiar-looking bog-filled crater. It was the very same pit of sloppy mud they had fallen into when inadvertently portaled here by Sarapheen - back when the castle was still owned by Jack Eaton Jr.

The place was still a fog-shrouded wood, with the colors dull, muted, or just plain wrong. Trees were twisted and reaching and suggestive of the horrific abominations the disciples had encountered in the flesh grove - which come to think of it, really wasn't that far away... only a couple hundred yards in that? direction...

Movement of the shadows brought Beats and Robors' attention back to their surroundings. The shadows here (in the shadow) had the habit of flickering and shifting on their own. It was weird too, as there was no real sunlight to speak of - just a strange sort of overcast hue that backlit a sky full of roiling black clouds - while an oily black ribbon of foul viscous fluid drifted sinuously across the firmament above.

Far off, to the southeast horizon, a tall imposing skyline could be made out above the trees - high in the air - much too high in fact to be anything one would encounter on earth.

Robor and Beats had seen it once before, but had perhaps forgotten about it, save for in lost dreams and fevered nightmares.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:28:28 pm by BerkaZerka »

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Things Past
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:38:03 pm »

Looking around a little uncomfotably Beard decides that speed will be the advantage here "K, lets get dis done fast an get back outa here." he says as he quickly finds the nearest safe looking spot to sit and begins to scry using the recovered items.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:00:25 pm »

Robor nods.
"Yeah, we don't have a great track record with this place." Robor says in agreement.

He kneels down to the ground beside Beats, and starts to carve symbols out of the dirt with his iron ring.
"Arrive, spirit of the Sun. I have need of your strength."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:47 pm »

Climbing up out of the swampy crater to find more solid ground for casting, Robor and Beats were surprised to see that someone (or something) had erected stone pylons around the entirety of the crater itself - set back about twelve feet from the edge.

Strange writings, looking somewhat Arabic in nature, adorned each of the six foot high pylons, which numbered thirty three in total. All were set at equidistance from one another, forming as distinct perimeter.

As Beats began to scry out the location of the two vampires, he found that he couldn't retain his grasp of the magical energies necessary to cast the spell. Robor too, was unable to summon his spirit.

It was as if the area inside the pylons was completely dead to magic...

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:02 pm »

"Well dis is wierd? some kinda protection ring?" Beats careully tests moving outside of the ring anf if his magic works there

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:48:02 pm »

Beat's was unable to pass between the pylons, finding a ban of some kind preventing him from doing so.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 02:14:47 pm »

"Looks like dis is a powerful space ban. Can't even use magic to jump out. Think we gotta leave da ring in the real world then cross back over." Beats says to robor

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »

As Beats mentioned going back, Robor realized that they couldn't. His spirit road had already closed behind them...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:57:20 pm by BerkaZerka »

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:16:15 pm »

"We're stuck here...." Robor mutters

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 12:24:04 am »

"Er whatya mean man?" Beats begins before it dawning on him "Fark... ya can't open da door again can you?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 01:48:27 am »

"Er whatya mean man?" Beats begins before it dawning on him "Fark... ya can't open da door again can you?"
"Yeah. Exactly that." Robor says.

"Can't we ever has a simple encounter with magic?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 11:32:34 am »

"Well, well... Isn't this a delightful little surprise?" a familiar voice taunted, as a large figure moved into sight at the edge of the dark woods.

There, just on the other side of the stone pylons, was the sleek Egyptian mastiff hound that the disciples had defeated a year and a half ago.

"I would say it's about time the two of you showed up again, but I really did have all eternity to wait."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 02:08:43 pm »

Beats sighs aloud "An now dat stupid Demon pup is back"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:54 am »

"Honestly not surprised." Robor mutters. "If anything, it's kinda a relief. At least we know what the stupid twist is."

He looks to the hound, and draws his sword.
"What are you doing here?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:35 am »

"You know why I am here!" the mastiff snarled angrily, incensed by Robor and Beats' cavalier dismissal of the danger it actually presented.

"You took what was mine and I want it back - All. Of. It."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:34 pm »

"We left your corpse inna pile back out dere didnt we? Ya got dat back ok didnt ya?"

Beats begins wandering away from the edge towards the centre of the ring, assuming the demons powers wouldnt work inside it either

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »

"You know why I am here!" the mastiff snarled angrily, incensed by Robor and Beats' cavalier dismissal of the danger it actually presented.

"You took what was mine and I want it back - All. Of. It."
"Like, at this point, you should probably cut your losess." Robor says.

"I don't even remember what we took from that tree stump." Robor says.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »

"Didnt we destroy most of it?" Beats calls back

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:52 pm »

"One 1920s Remington Rand portable typewriter with glass keys. The one Adolph Hitler used to write 'Mein Kampf' as a matter of fact."

"Ninety-two 'George the IV' gold sovereigns in a Wells Fargo bag."

"A blue on white Ming vase. Priceless."

"Eighty-one works of fine jewelry - gold, platinum, diamonds, emeralds, opals, sapphires, rubies, and so forth."

"A one-hundred-thousand dollar ransom in Canadian currency. The poor girl."

"The Righteous Judges' panel of the Ghent Altarpiece."

"And the Michigan driver's license of one 'John Warner' - mostly for its... sentimental, value."

"You will return these to me... or provide me the pleasure of seeing you beaten into the mud by the 'locals'. I'd be satisfied either way really. The choice is yours."

As the mastiff finished speaking, six large lumps of mud rose up from the center of the slimy crater. They continued to pile up upon themselves, until they were standing six feet tall on four thick columnar oozing limbs. Other than that, they had no other defined form.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:38:56 pm by BerkaZerka »

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 03:44:07 pm »

"Dats just farked up." Beats announces "How come his magic works but ours doesnt?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »

"Dats just farked up." Beats announces "How come his magic works but ours doesnt?"
"It's kinda pathetic. It's not even his power. He has no idea how this happens." Robor says.

"You're a sad puppy." Robor says, as he tries to edge out of the stone encloser.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:44:15 am »

Deciding he has to try somthing Beats grabs his Space tag using his left hand so the haematite ring was touching it and tries to force through teleport. Aiming the point to re-appear yo be outside the ring and away from the demon dog so he could have a few turns to attack the rock pillars.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 05:48:11 pm »

Beats' teleport failed miserably, as he could not focus enough of his fleeting power to pull the spell together.

Robor meanwhile, tried to force himself across the barrier, but he too was thwarted - It had already been a long day, and he just wasn't feeling as if he had enough will left in him to overcome it.

"Really?" the mastiff sighed dramatically; "You're going to go that route are you? You know I could grant you power to locate all the pieces of my collection if you wanted. Recover it all and you would win my loyal services for one hundred and one years. I am a Guardian Spirit after all."

"No?"

As this went on, the mud things began to slowly advance on Robor and Beats' position.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »

beats slowly backs away and circles, again attempting to teleport out

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:38 pm »

"Is this just your excuse for wanting to join us?" Robor asks, with a raised eyebrow.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:21 am »

Once again, Beats was unable to overcome the potency of the stone pylon's ward and ban.

Fortunately, the mud creatures were pondering and slow. It was an easy matter to outmaneuver them in the huge expanse of the boggy crater - and they seemed too stupid to actually split up in any attempt to corral or flank the disciples.

"What?!?" the mastiff hound scoffed at Robor's question; "Gads no! I guard treasures! ...Though, I suppose exceptions could be made to guard a person; but that would suggest I am a 'bodyguard' spirit, which I emphatically am not."

"Best you just give me an area to guard and some treasures to go with it - so as to avoid any potential confusion."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:38:22 am »

"Dis is just getting stupid..." Beats mutters to himself before trying one last time

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 01:46:32 pm »

"I could definitely do that." Robor says, thinking of the Heart of Flies.

"I have a really cool treasure that needs guarding. Way better than the weird ones you had before."

He waves off Beats from the heavy casting. This might be worth while.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »

Beats pauses... "Wait, we gonna hire da angry puppy? Whose he guarding stuff for now, dey aint gonna just release him?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »

Beats pauses... "Wait, we gonna hire da angry puppy? Whose he guarding stuff for now, dey aint gonna just release him?"
"I mean, if we don't, he'll just come back again." Robor whispers

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:12 pm »

Beats shrugs "Your call, I'll distract da lumps." Beats then leaves Robor to talk and tries to lead the 'golems?' in circles

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »

"You mean it?" The mastiff replied; "You'll recover the treasures you took to secure my services?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »

"You mean it?" The mastiff replied; "You'll recover the treasures you took to secure my services?"
"Are you gonna keep stalking us if we don't?" Robor asks, incredulous.

"We're gonna have to purify the fragments anyways I guess, if we want to fix the universe. So yeah. It shouldn't be too hard."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 08:02:48 pm »

"Stalking?!? Harrumph!" the regal canine huffed, "I spun a web and waited for someone to fly into it. Nothing more."

"So then, is it just you?" he asked Robor, "or your friend too?"

"You agree to recover all the pieces of my collection? During which time I will grant the power to unerringly know their exact whereabouts. And after receipt, I agree to serve for one hundred and one years as the guardian of a location and treasures of your choosing."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:51 pm »

Insert Quote
"Stalking?!? Harrumph!" the regal canine huffed, "I spun a web and waited for someone to fly into it. Nothing more.
"I have literally never met anything that has followed me around as much as you. And I've had the fair share of stalkers."

"You down Beats? After this we can finally get on with our lives."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

"Gonna leave dis one to you man, I don't really like makin deals" He calls over

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:38 am »

"Gonna leave dis one to you man, I don't really like makin deals" He calls over
"Fine, but you still get to ferry me to wherever his nonesense is." Robor says .

"Just me then, hound."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »

"Deal!" the hound hissed with supreme delectation, abruptly taking on shadows from the surrounding area. They cloyed around the monster for a moment and then seeped into its flesh - transforming it into something different.

The large Egyptian Mastiff's body changed from canid to humanoid, while the head remained the same - only the ears elongating to stand twice as tall as before. A royal Egyptian robe with blue and gold nemes head crown formed on him as well, while a long hooked rod of lapis lazuli and gold appeared in the air nearby.

The seven foot tall Pharaoh-looking thing reached out to grasp it - laughing.

"I AM RAKSHASA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

A sudden shame shot through Robor, as he instinctively realized that by making a deal with this devil, he had somehow made it even more powerful than it had before.

Rather than feel guilty about it however, he managed to convince himself that he really hadn't had any choice, and that it was somehow... for the better?

Robor could also sense the general direction of each piece of the demon's treasure, though it was hard to fix on an exact location, across the barrier between worlds. He suspected that he could pinpoint each item precisely when on the same plane.

Rakshasa meanwhile, smiled, looking down at the two disciples still stuck in the muddy crater.

"When you have gathered it all, then I will come and fulfill my part of our bargain. You may now leave the circle. A'nekh Djet!"

With that, the demon teleported away.

The mud spirits did not stop their plodding pursuit of Robor and Beats, at Rakshasa's departure however, mindlessly continuing to follow as Beats led them in circles.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »

"I am Rakshaha!" Robor mocks, shaking his head. "What a pathetic devil. We'll be strong enough in 100 years to put him in his place."

"Alright, let's leave Beats. The faster we do this the better."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 12:14:29 am »

"Kinda thinkin that didnt go like ya planned?" He breaks into a run to Robor and (hopefully) past him out of the circle. "Your da one dat needs to open our door after I scry."

Assuming he gets out safely he gets some distance then tries to quickly scry on the vamps again.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:34 am »

Beats was able to pass between the stone pylons, leaving Robor to follow.  Fortunately, the mud things didn't seem motivated enough to leave the crater; and just sort of slopped back into the mire.

Using the personal items taken from the subway car, Beats focused for a few minutes, before locking onto the location of the two Belial's Brood vampires. They were in The City Without Foundation, far to the southeast, which would be the tenebrous reflection of the physical world's Washington DC.

Scrying in, Beats could see 'Vesh' - the middle-aged gothic rock-star vampire in the black leathers, frilly operatic blouse, and fishnet highlights. This was the one that had used blood magic to open the way into the vampire's haven under the nightclub.

The King Leonidas reject was also nearby, being the mature overly-muscled man in the cheesy leisure suit (and bling) that the other vampires had referred to as 'Ductus'.

Both lay sleeping on ornate marble slabs in an unusually bright and large atrium of some kind. They were surrounded by carefully arranged plantings of flowers and small colorful trees - the area being quite pleasant and park-like with marble benches, slabs, and trickling coi ponds filled with odd fish-like spirit-things. This appeared to be one of the upper levels of a massive multi-layered tower, open in the center.

Looking into the aerie of the eight hundred foot high tower, Beats could see other levels, both above and below. Each concourse was expansive and palatial - being occupied by a multitude of demonic-looking denizens. Some looked like guardians, some like stewards, while others carried themselves with the haughty airs of nobility.

There even appeared to be human slaves here and there, as well as other creatures more animalistic and base in nature and appearance.

Way down at the bottom, on the main floor, Beats could see a large bazaar of some kind, where transactions and trade of all sorts were being made between the hundreds of the hellish minions.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:35 am »

çoming back out Beats tells Robor "Found em but we should grtouta here first." he looks around "Don't want somthin else wierd comin out."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2018, 12:23:50 pm »

çoming back out Beats tells Robor "Found em but we should grtouta here first." he looks around "Don't want somthin else wierd comin out."
"What's the shot if we port in to kill them here and now? What are they doing?" Robor asks, as he begins the task of reopening the spirit road.

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2018, 09:40:18 pm »

"Lyin on slabs surrounded by hundreds o demons and things, like some kinda giant slave market maybe?" Beats replies

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2018, 09:49:19 pm »

"Lyin on slabs surrounded by hundreds o demons and things, like some kinda giant slave market maybe?" Beats replies
"Shit." Robor mutters, wide eyed.

"We really need to start upping our game."

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 10:00:47 pm »

"Yeh, under DC or somthin. Need like a nuke, portal it in an take out all dem demons in 1 go." he pauses for a second "Maybe ask Sera about it."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:46 am »

"Yeh, under DC or somthin. Need like a nuke, portal it in an take out all dem demons in 1 go." he pauses for a second "Maybe ask Sera about it."
Robor laughs.
"Yeah, that would work."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:30 pm »

With that sorted for now, Robor opened his spirit road, leading the two disciples back to the woods, just off the castle grounds.

---

Continued in (Enemies At The Gates)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:42:04 pm by BerkaZerka »
Pages: [1]   Go Up