Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Ship Weapons  (Read 16137 times)

Thlaylie

• BHB Titan
  • Small Fry
    • View Profile
My Ship Weapons
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »

I need an opinion on which of the weapons in the rulebook these weapons would correspond to. (the grey ones in each pic)

The one on the right is an antimatter torpedo launcher normally, so it should be some kind of missile or shell weapon.

The one on the left is a continuous stream laser so probably some kind of machingun.

If you don't like [IMG] files I can direct link.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: My Ship Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:44:56 pm »

I need an opinion on which of the weapons in the rulebook these weapons would correspond to. (the grey ones in each pic)

Really, you can make up whatever you like, using the pre-existing weapons as a template and scale of comparison.  I wouldn’t let a weapon into the game however, that does more than 30L (or 26L AP) – and those kinds should be limited in ammo capacity and/or rate of fire.  If you get too much more beyond that, then the survivability of space combat will go down rapidly – don’t forget that weapon Damage is also the base and you add X-Damage (and sometimes more) to that as well.

As for the weapons you point out, I am not familiar with them from the anime, but will give it a go.  Feel free to tweak/alter to your needs :)

The one on the right is an antimatter torpedo launcher normally, so it should be some kind of missile or shell weapon.

I’d say that an antimatter torpedo launcher would probably be most comparable to the 115mm Military Main Gun in stats (though the millimeters could be a little smaller as the warhead yield higher).  You’d have to decide whether it shot a shell or missile-like projectile and how that affected the stats.  Also whether it was a ‘punch through’ or area weapon.  Below are three options of either type – Punch through, area, and a combo of both:

Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (shell version) 0; 26L AP; νL/§S; 50i; ST,BF,A1; M15/1m; 800,000
Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (shell version) 0; 22L A30 Ft; νL/§S; 50i; ST,BF,A1; M15/1m; 800,000
Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (shell version) 0; 16L AP A10 Ft; νL/§S; 50i; ST,BF,A1; M15/1m; 800,000

Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (missile version) 0; 26L AP; νL/§M; 20i; ST,A1; M15/1m; 800,000
Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (missile version) 0; 22L A30 Ft; νL/§M; 20i; ST,A1; M15/1m; 800,000
Antimatter Torpedo Launcher (missile version) 0; 16L AP A10 Ft; νL/§M; 20i; ST,A1; M15/1m; 800,000

The one on the left is a continuous stream laser so probably some kind of machingun.

If I understand right (a beam that isn’t broken up between shots, but more like a giant continuous cutting beam)… This one I would just make a Military Laser Beam Generator, but give it a reduced range and +6 Accuracy.  Also like the Military Laser Beam Generator, I’d limit it to 10 rounds of use (does not need to be contiguous rounds) before needing to be recharged.

Continuous Beam Generator +6; 22L νL/§S; 0/10♠; ST,A1; M15/1m; 1,500,000

If you don't like [IMG] files I can direct link.

IMG's are fine :)

BZ

Thlaylie

• BHB Titan
  • Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:56 am »

Those weapons are actually the blasters from a Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider from Battlestar Gallactica. My own personal model ship uses them as weapons. I want to use this ship in BHB so it needs compatible components.

I love your weapons ideas, much more powerful than I originally imagined.

The Anti-Matter Torpedo Launcher is comparable to a Plasma Torpedo launcher from Star trek as far as the projectile is concerned. I thought the Military Plasma Cannon (and the Military Lasr Beam Generator) would be too large to be represented by the much smaller weapons. (like on the Swordfish II) Could I just do to the Military Plasma Cannon what you did to the Military Laser Beam Generator? (reduced range and??)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:16:31 pm »

The Anti-Matter Torpedo Launcher is comparable to a Plasma Torpedo launcher from Star trek as far as the projectile is concerned.

In that case, I’d go with the missile-like projectile, as the Star Trek torpedoes appeared to be able to course-correct en-route to their target.

I thought the Military Plasma Cannon (and the Military Lasr Beam Generator) would be too large to be represented by the much smaller weapons. (like on the Swordfish II) Could I just do to the Military Plasma Cannon what you did to the Military Laser Beam Generator? (reduced range and??)

Sure, I don’t see why not.  Though, now that I think I understand the weapon better, I’d alter my above suggestion for the Continuous Beam Generator, as it sounds more like a machinegun-like laser vs. a true unbroken continuous beam.  If this is the case, I’d go with this instead:

Rapid Pulse Laser Generator +2; 20L νL/§S; 0/10♠; BF,AF,A1; M15/1m; 1,500,000

Here I’d still limit the weapon to 10 rounds of operation; with each use of Burst Fire counting as 1/2 a round, and each use of Auto Fire counting as a whole round.

As for the size of the weapons, you’ll have to decide.  The smaller the weapons, the higher the technology level of your setting.  In the base BHB setting, the tech level isn’t to the point of small hand held energy weapons yet.  You have lasers and plasma canons, but they are still so large that they require a vehicle platform to mount them to. 

If do you want to go with man-portable energy weapons at some point, I’d suggest keeping their stats in the following range:

Pistols
Accuracy: –1 for Plasma, +1 for Laser
Damage: 12L to 14L (with Detonating for Plasma)
Range: 60 – 80 Ft
Capacity: Limited to either a specific number of shots or a specific number of Rounds of use, before needing to be recharged.  Generally 6 for plasma, 10 for laser. 
Rate: ST, BF, AF for lasers, ST for plasma (possibly BF)
Availability: MTN 15/6m
Cost: 800,000

Rifles
Accuracy: 0 for Plasma, +2 for Lasers
Damage: 14L to 16L (with Detonating for Plasma)
Range: 500 ft/vM for laser, 300 ft/vS for plasma
Capacity: Again limited to either a specific number of shots or a specific number of Rounds of use, before needing to be recharged.  Generally 6 for plasma, 10 for laser. 
Rate: ST, BF, AF for lasers, ST for plasma (and possibly BF)
Cost: 1,200,000

Bazooka-Like Weapons
Accuracy: -1 for Plasma, 0 for laser
Damage: 18L to 20L (with AP or Detonating for Plasma)
Range: 500 ft/vM for either
Capacity: Again limited to either a specific number of shots or a specific number of Rounds of use, before needing to be recharged.  In the case of these weapons, 3 for plasma, 5 for laser. 
Rate: ST for either
Cost: 1,400,000

BZ

Thlaylie

• BHB Titan
  • Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »

Your initial impressions about the continuous Beam Generator was correct. the weapon fires a continuous laser that is "hosed around" to cause damage.

The actual model parts don't act like their origins, they just seemed perfect for representing my ships weapon systems physically.

If I wanted to use the missile firing weapon as a Military Plasma Cannon, what would I do to it's stats to reflect the smaller weapon size?

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:39 pm »

I'd say that you really wouldn't have to change the stats due to size.  You can just say that the tech is better than normal, which accounts for its reduced size in comparison to other vehicle mounted weapons.

If you still want to make the distinction however, I'd suggest a slight reduction in damage and/or range, and an increased cost, in comparison to a simular weapon of larger size.

BZ

Thlaylie

• BHB Titan
  • Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:03 pm »

I haven't quite got my mind around BHB's weapons rating formulas, could you in your spare time stat up the Plasma Cannon weapon as you did the Laser? (I have dropped the seeking so basically small Plasma Cannon)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »

Sure, how's this?

Next Gen Plasma Cannon 0; 20L AP; νL/§S; 0/10♠; ST,BF,A1; M15/6m; 900,000

Where Standard Fire drains 1 shot off the cell each time and Burst Fire drains 2 shots each time.

BZ

Thlaylie

• BHB Titan
  • Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:17 pm »

That's Awesome. Thank You!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile