Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Being a GM  (Read 13547 times)

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
Being a GM
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:12 pm »

BZ wants me to learn how to run a game. I am really afraid to that. I do not feel I have the talent for it. ( That is a talent you know?) Did you ever play with a totally boring, unorganized and unorthodox game master? I have and I do not want to be one. Any advice for a first time trial of such an ordeal?

azhrei331

• Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • The Lonely Die
Re: Being a GM
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »

practice with friends first.  you'll start out with a more relaxed environment and they won't be overly critical of you during the game...

...except your husband...

...and Ray...

come to think of it, run a few solo games with Suzie and get comfortable first  ;D
It's game time...do you know where your d12's are? www.lonelydie.com

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
  • Bringin' a gun to a knife fight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:08 am »

Don't sweat the rules. The rules are there as a support mechanism, but, as the GM, you're as bound to them as you wish to be. If someone does something that advances the plot, enhances the game, or is just plain cool, let it happen.

The GM has two main responsibilities: storyteller and arbitrator. Choose which one you're more comfortable being and work from it. Don't neglect the other aspect, just keep the balance at the point that suits you best.

Above all, have fun! If you're enjoying the experience, it'll come across to the players and enhance their own enjoyment.
Free-Floating Agent of Chaos. Reasonable Rates. Inquire Within.

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »

Thank you all for your advice. I may try it sometime. I get nervous being in the spotlight. I feel like I have a third leg or something when everyone looks at me . I need to find some confidence first. ;D

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

Have you considered co-GM'ing? We had a situation with our group where we had someone who wanted to GM but wasn't confident about handling the mechanics. We tried a couple of runs where she handled the roleplaying, then had someone else step in for the combat.

Having someone else to share the burden might help in getting over the stage fright...

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:36:25 pm »

There's an idea...  Maybe Lady Z can roleplay a bunch of the NPCs for me at the cons?  :)

Oh, and I have to say that my friend Ray is the only person ever to get up and walk out on me during the final round of the last great battle of the one and a half year D&D 3e campaign from first to twenty fifth level where his character actually survived.

In hindsight, I guess I could have gone a little easier on the mordenkainen's disjunction spells  :P

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »

That would be fun to try. Who wants to play??????? ???

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:24:58 pm »

That would be fun to try. Who wants to play??????? ???

You mean now? As in PbP? Or are you looking to get something going at the con?

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:32:29 am »

I will let ya know. I need to figure out what to play first. I like horror or comedy ones. ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:01:56 am »

I think PbP would be easier to GM, rules-wise, because you have time to look them up between posts.  Running-wise a PbP would be harder unless you really had a great group of players, due to how hard it is to keep a PbP going from start to finish.

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »

I agree. Maybe after the cons settle down a bit, I will try in the future. I am holding all of you to it. ;D

You must all play or I will cry a river of sorrow :'( ....... ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up