Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Goes Camping?  (Read 27497 times)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Who Goes Camping?
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:05 pm »

So, Lady Z and I are big on camping.  So much in fact, that we have our own 'private' island that we get to by canoe and have claimed as our own (we haven't finished building the log palisade to keep everyone else off yet, but it's in the design phase  ;) )

We'll be camping up in northern NY this weekend and here's a big secret (shhh, don't tell - though we have run into a few Gamers who already know) - you can camp at a KOA near both Columbus and Indy.  We rented a cabin for Origins and GenCon, complete with AC - it's a pretty sweet deal ;D

Our favorit though has to be camping by canoe - you just can't beat a 1200 pound cargo capacity with a 16 footer.  Roughing it?  Pshaw!  We bring everything including the kitchen sink  :D

Our signature camping meal is a light salad, followed by a filet mignon steak, with cheesy dutch oven potatoes, corn on the cob, and hot cocoa.

BZ

Bounty BaboonBill

• BHB Insider
  • Bounty Head
  • Bebop Artist
    • View Profile
    • Check out ze art at Bill Werks Occassionally
Re: Who Goes Camping?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:40:06 am »

/envious

Once my brood is a bit older, we will begin camping again.

I miss it so!

Sounds like an excellent way to a) save oney on the conventions and b) get two vacations in one! Camping AND Gaming!
Ape in Spaaaaaaace!

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
  • Bringin' a gun to a knife fight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:11:31 am »

Naw, sorry. I'm a city boy, concrete under my feet.

My idea of roughing it is having a picnic at the park.  ;D
Free-Floating Agent of Chaos. Reasonable Rates. Inquire Within.

Rbree

• Bounty Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:51:50 am »

Just came back from days at Paint Creek Lake...  Did the cabin thing so we wouldn't have to take all the gear.  We have 3 kids all in scouts so between scout trips and family trips we go about  8 times a year.

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:42 am »

Ok here is my take on the subject. As BZ mentioned, we do have an island we have claimed to be our own. It is a great time. The last time we went there, it was Halloween eve night. We got a late start and had a canoe trip down the river at about 10 pm, it was a full moon ( creepy to beat all hell) but it was cool just the same. You cannot buy memories like that. The moon on the river was the only light we had and fish were jumping and stuff, really cool. We set up camp and had a dinner at midnight by the light of the moon. SWEET!!! Going there again in the fall. :)

This weekend, we took our 2 year old, our 15 year old twins and our 12 year old.( and do not forget the 2 grammas :) ). We had two campsites and it was a good time except for the hurricane we had to set up camp in on Friday.:( It poured like mad. BZ is a good survivalist ( due to the Navy and Gaming of course) and sets up a pretty good camp to keep out rain. Zombies too :)

As for our convention accomodations, we have a rustic atmosphere, a place to relax out of the city after  a long day of gaming, fully equipped with air conditioning and computer access, a comfy bed and the best home cooked meals on a fire this side of the Mississippi. :) The $600 dollars we save doesn't hurt either :)
It is a good time. For those who say they can not afford to go to the Con's, this might be an an option for you. :) It is for us :)   

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

My idea of roughing it is having a picnic at the park.  ;D

Got's to get yer BBQ somewhere I guess  ;D

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:53:12 am »

/envious

Once my brood is a bit older, we will begin camping again.

Aw, if we survived a trip with a two year old, you should do just fine  :D  Check out the KOA Cabins sometime  :)

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Off to Our 'Private' Island
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:16:01 am »

Hi all,

Lady Z and I and Ze Family will be off camping this Labor Day weekend, so we won't be on the site for three or so days.  Have fun while we're gone - and here's hoping the site lasts till we get back  ;) ;D

BZ

FaePooka

• Bounty Head
    • View Profile
Re: Off to Our 'Private' Island
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »

Hope you didn't get eaten by island bears! They're a tricky lot. Sorry we couldn't join you....someday we will.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »

And we're back  ;D

No, no Island bears, but I did have to kill a rabies/distemper racoon that threatened our camp while we were there - that and we had many adventures and misadventures - I'll write more about it later though - time to sleep in  a real bed - ahhhh... :)

BZ

Bounty BaboonBill

• BHB Insider
  • Bounty Head
  • Bebop Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »

Oo! Camping, canoeing, and killing! Can't wait to read the full story..
Ape in Spaaaaaaace!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:58:04 pm »

So the rundown of our “Griswold Family” Island Adventure…

Lady Z and I really took on the ‘Big One’ with this logistical headache, but somehow we pulled off a canoe/camping trip involving 12 people across 4 days with only 2 canoes.

We had about over 1000 lbs of gear, which Lady Z and I lugged to cars, from cars, to canoes, from canoes, to campsite, from campsite, to better campsite, from better campsite, to canoes, from canoes, to cars, and from cars, back into storage.

As I noted above, we had a deranged raccoon come into our camp on our second day, and as it was in broad daylight, and the raccoon would not run away when we yelled at it, or start when we threw sticks at it, and all it did was walk in circles and ‘meow’ – well, with a two year old involved with the trip, we could not let it stay, and as it would not leave, I had to dispatch it.

Then Lady Z had this thing for taking spills.  She is an experienced canoeist, but on this trip, she rolled the canoe twice, actually sinking it on one occasion.  Thankfully, no-one else was in the canoe at the time and only minimal equip got wet.  Then there was an incident involving a cooler, stuffed penguin, and the flipping over of both Lady Z and our picnic table with everything on it going flying.

One of our teen girls dunked her cell phone in the river and wailed in abject sorrow for about six hours.  On the other hand, out little two year old had a ball.

Aside from all that and having to yell at kids for wasting the soda pop (opening a can, taking one sip, then opening another etc…) – it was actually a good trip for all involved.  I hesitate to say fun though.  For me and Lady Z, the trip was not fun.  It was work.  We catered to and ensured that the rest of the family had fun.  Oh there was some good memories made, and it was totally worth it, and I am glad we went, but it was not fun for Lady Z and I.

Now, that last part is not totally true – Lady Z and I have a tradition; where we take everyone back the last day, then go back and relax on the island by ourselves for a few hours, before tearing the rest of the camp down and bringing it all home.  That part I have to say was fun.  So much so that next time we go, It’s just going to be the two of us :)

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »

I am skeeter bitten, I am bruised from head to toe, I had a canoe slap me on the back ( the first spill) The second time I decided to go ahead and let that one sink as BZ's canoe found its way down the river alone :'( while he rescued me from the water and the hand sized wolf spider that was lurking on the dock tire that I happened to be holding on to for dear life. Great times. Then BZ had a " SHORT cut" for us to try. It involved getting stuck about 5 feet from the shore cause of shallow water, only to get out into a mudslide and a steep hill to climb. To hell with short cuts! lol. He failed to mention the bull nettle plants I carried all of this stuff into while he found the " BETTER camp site". ;D The best of that was, the better camp site was right back through those lovely plants. DOUBLE DOSE!! :) I also had an oven mitt melt to my fingertips... OUCH! We forgot to buy welders gloves.. Mental note: will not forget again. Other than rabid animals, bratty kids, jealous grammas and no real bathroom facilities, it was great fun... ;D I look forward to BZ and I to take our trip alone. Peace and quiet, no chaos. Love our family but  GAME OVER>>>

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »

And people wonder why I am completely and fully satisfied to leave the outdoors out there and relax in the civilized indoors.

A/C, bathrooms with running water, and high-speed Internet. Life is good.  ;D

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »

C'mon Nestor.... Live a little ;) You have not lived until you have camped on a remote island; with rabid racoons, west nile stricken skeeters and a bathroom facility that can knock your socks off :D

BZ and I are going back soon, by ourselves.... Peace and quiet :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 10:59:11 am »

Off to our woodland retreat again for the weekend - this time no kids - Just Lady Z and I ;D

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:27:19 am »

Off to our woodland retreat again for the weekend - this time no kids - Just Lady Z and I ;D

BZ

Private Island II - Rabid Rocky's Revenge.  ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »

Well, we didn't have any rabid raccoons this time - though a deer took a stroll past us in the night.  Unfortunately Lady Z was just getting over the flu when we went and I of course picked it up that evening.  As it was a cold weather excursion, which we had gear for - with one exception - we were prepared for the cold.  The exception - a choice to take our big 12 x 9 ft cabin tent for the roominess, as opposed to our normal cold weather choice of our Northface five man winter tent (the kind you see on those mountain climbing expeditions) - coupled that with me getting sick and having chills, nearly froze me to death during the night.  Luckily, we had some hand warmers in our gear which we tossed in our sleeping bag to toast up a bit and make it through the night.  We had planned on staying two nights, but given my discomfort, opted out of the second day and went home - where I must say I've never enjoyed sleeping in my own bed so much  :)

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:45 am »

We do know better about making exceptions on cold weather trips. " Let's try the BIG tent we said" " It will be roomy and comfy"  OUR ASS!!!!! :)  We nearly froze to death and BZ was sick which made it ten times worse. We look at this like one for the survival history books. We did however take a lovely canoe trip on Saturday before returning home and it was a beautiful day. Our camp is over for the season, umless there is enough courage for snow camping. Not sure yet :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Close Call
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »

Lady Z and I are just back from the hospital, after a boating accident, where we spent 30 + minutes in cold water, got hypothermic, and then had to hike a mile (up hill) to finally get help.

We are going to be OK, but we lost everything (including our Canoe and Lady Z's purse - with credit cards, meds, and the like).

We overestimated our skills against a 8ft higher than normal swelled river.  The river we let in on was actuall pretty smooth, but as soon as we rounded a bend into a larger main river, the current was too strong, we got caught in an eddie and our boat rolled when it turned sideways.

Thank God we were alone and didn't have any of our girls with us!

Anyway, some memorable Mother's Day I have to say  :P

Glad we're here and able to tell the tale though.

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Close Call
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:45 am »

Also glad to hear you're alive to tell the tale. :)

Next time rent a movie.  ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 12:25:23 pm »

Somehow I'm not in the mood to watch 'Deliverance' right now  ;)

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26:28 pm »

Our little one, after she asked us if we had fallen in the river, then asked us if we had got "chomped" - meaning bit by fishes...

I am happy to report that no, we did not get chomped  ;D

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

Our little one, after she asked us if we had fallen in the river, then asked us if we had got "chomped" - meaning bit by fishes...

I am happy to report that no, we did not get chomped  ;D

BZ

No leeches either, I hope.

I discovered this to be a common concern in swimming holes up by my in-laws' home state (Vermont). Needless to say, I don't go swimming up there. ;)

Bounty BaboonBill

• BHB Insider
  • Bounty Head
  • Bebop Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:13 am »

Wow, glad you two are okay. The stuff can be replaced; you and Lady Z can't.  ???
Ape in Spaaaaaaace!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 11:00:23 am »

Too true  :)

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 10:10:42 am »

I am still recovering from this mess! :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Camping this Weekend
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 03:57:51 pm »

I'll be off Island Camping this weekend - Be back to the site Sunday Night or Monday  ;D

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Camping this Weekend
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

Have an awesome time!

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 04:05:55 pm »

Have fun !

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »

Stay safe this time!

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
  • Miya Sugai (Mythic Nippon)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »

Don't get eaten by any bears! :)
"Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years." -Unknown
“There's always another secret."    “I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 10:38:00 pm »

And very randomly I am now also out camping cos we did a last min hunting trip for the long weekend, and yet I get reception out here for my phone...

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »

And we're back. Didn't make it to the Island though. The forecast was for mid 30's and rain on Sunday (our return day and not something I want to take a camp down in and then canoe it down a river in) - so we just rented a lodge at a KOA for a couple of days and mega-chilled.

'twas nice.  ;D

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »

Well, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Sethaniel

• Feng-Shui Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »

You are success!

Tanstaafl

• Veteran Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »

Happy to hear it was a fun vacation for you guys.

Arthesul

• BHB Titan
  • Professional
  • Flying bears, now THAT'S a scary thought!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »

Shitty shitters shit shitty shits shittily shitting shittier shits.
See? Fark isn't the only word you can make a sentence out of!

Forge

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »

Welcome back!

MarcusOTerra

• Small Fry
  • Three, two, one: Let's ROCK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 01:53:02 am »

I was gonna say Penquins make good eating.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »

^especially if you are a leopard seal!  ;D

Malkalack

• Bounty Head
  • Prolific shitposter
    • View Profile