Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh hai there!  (Read 21401 times)

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
Oh hai there!
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:04 am »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: Oh hai there!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »

Hey old buddy!  How you been?  Welcome to the BHB Comlink - nice bug  ;D

BZ

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

Hello Reynard! aka Bill! This is Lady Z aka Lori! :) How the heck are ya? We miss talikng to ya. Are you still doing MMA and/or training? We would love to visit sometime again, we had a blast last time. Even though it was 900 degrees  and I was pregnant with swollen feet ;) I want to start training for my third degree black belt, I am eligible November 2012. I miss MMA training as well. Anyway, talk to ya soon.

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:49 pm »

Hi! I'm great! Tremendously busy as always. MMA is going well bigger than ever. In fact we've doubled the school to 10k sq feet (see my facebook profile for pics) teaching more classes, more fights etc.. now nearly at 200 students in total including bjj, muay thai, mma, capoeira classes too.

Also writing a blog: http://fairfaxmma.blogspot.com/
In particular I think all martial artists can appreciate these
http://fairfaxmma.blogspot.com/2011/02/introduction-to-mma-sparring-part-1.html
http://fairfaxmma.blogspot.com/2011/04/introduction-to-mma-sparring-part-2.html

btw: Saw your profile pics LZ: Congrats on the black belt. *rei* outstanding.

I've recently got an itch to do some rpg'ing.. I hear there is lots of controverery on D&D 4e. (JP knows I'm a fantasy guy, not a sci-fi fan). Truth be told, I'd just love to get a 2e game going! old school!

Hope the family is good! (not sure it's safe to talk about family on "teh interwebs" any more..) I'll send you a gmail and we'll catch up!

So how's the BeBopin going?  ;D I'm going to check Netflix to see if they have anything I can watch to see the basis for the game!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:06:23 pm by Reynard_Dubois »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:29 am »

Glad to hear your school is riding high in spite of the economy that killed mine  :)

Bounty Head Bebop is doing well - Lady Z and I love taking it to the gaming conventions.  I miss our old D&D campaign (which last I ran for folks up here in 2002ish, in D&D3e).  I really liked Third Edition D&D - it's the only version I kept books for).  I'm less than apathetic over D&D4e, which I consider a 'miniatures battle game' and not a true RPG (but that's just me).

Incedently, I'm developing (and running at the cons this year) a fantasy version of BHB.  I've also decided that rather than support a straight fantasy version (which it works fine as BTW) that I'm going with a Fantasy-Anime (Asian) theme.  I'm going to retool the Oberith Campaign (our D&D campaign) in that style - so the Reynard Dubois character will be there, but probably renamed Rei Bawa or something like that - hehehe  ;)  ;D

BZ

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

Ugh.. the same economy that ended my former architecture career? yep, deeply familiar with it..

I just ran a Basic D&D mini adventure (simple goblin lair) for my sons and they loved it. I'm now going to give them a few small adventures to teach them some basics and then run them thru a few modules.

a few questions.

miniatures - I'd love to find a few simple "sets" ex. something that has a typical party - a mage, a cleric, a fighter, an elf etc.  and some monster sets that have common humanoid types.  any suggestions?  maybe i should just usse something like coins or gemstone type markers?  and if miniatures are 25mm (typical?) then a 1"x1" grid = 5'? going to buy a dry-erase battle map. (learned from the great JpD why this makes the experience better)

thanks!

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »

I'll be gone for the week, but will have limited access to the web (but little actual time to use it) - so I'll get back to you on this - but I still have over 1,000 mini's and used to use the 1 inch square easel board paper.  Funny thing is, I sold all my minis to a friend for $500, and he just last year, gave them back to me as a Christmas gift  :D

Right now, and for the conventions especially, I use computer printed maps with 3/4 inch grid and flat glass gemstones and/or small mm colored d6s for the minis.  Saves a lot of space on the table doing it that way.

Got to go now though - I'll get back to here next week for sure  :)

BZ

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:55 am »

it's that time of year! time to CON!  good luck! have a great vacation!

smaller grid n smaller pieces.. brilliant!

talk to you later.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »

How old are your kids now?  Hard to beleive our little one is going to be three years old here in August  :)

BZ

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:33 am »

Big C is 11 in Aug, Little C is 5.  time flies like an arrow. fruit flies like a bananna.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:56 pm »

Butter flies like a brick  ;D

(That Reynard Dubois - the kind of guy who wonders how deep the ocean would be if it didn't have all those sponges in it  ;) )

BZ

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
  • Bringin' a gun to a knife fight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »

Yes, he sounds like a man possessing a mind not merely twisted but actually sprained.  ;D
Free-Floating Agent of Chaos. Reasonable Rates. Inquire Within.

LadyZerka

• Pepsi Queen
  • Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »

Sprained, fractured....whatever! :)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08:47 pm »

So Bill, do you like/recomend the VA area?  Lady Z and I want to move to Montana, but VA is on the alternate list (I still know quite a few folks in that area) - what's your thoughts?

BZ

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:11 am »

Hmm.. Northern Virginia

Thriving economy of IT industry, Govt contractors and DoD work
due to this sucess they have lots of tax money and have an excellent public school system, maybe on of the top public school systems in the country.
Most people who live in this area are well educated and crime is fairly low given the large population.
Lots of activities and events for the kids. - youth programs, county parks and recreations etc.
Roads are always well maintained (taxes)
People have more disposable income - great for my business.

Dislikes:
Very high cost of living, ex. renting a 3-4br. townhome would easily be $2000/mo.
Traffic
Suburban living (sluggish commute, ticky-tacky sf homes/townhomes, very small yards etc.)

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:45 am »

The MD/DC/VA area is prominent for that sort of work, but as a defense contractor, I try very hard to not take any jobs that get me anywhere near the DC Beltway; it rivals LA in terms of traffic nightmares. Driving on it automatically adds an hour to any commute time, and at least once a month, a section is closed because of some horrendous accident.  :P

I know a few folks down in the Chantilly/Manassas area into gaming if you need some contacts. There's a cool gaming store in Chantilly, The Game Parlor, that carries a lot of games.

Hope that helps!

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:12 am »

Hi Nestor, fwiw the Game Parlor is about 5 minutes from my house and I'm a frequent visitor. And agreed, after years of the metro area, I'd consider chewing my foot off rather than drive on 495 commuter traffic. Even the dulles Toll Road I use to commute to Tyson's corner is heinous.

Nestor

• BHB Insider
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 10:37:46 am »

Hi Nestor, fwiw the Game Parlor is about 5 minutes from my house and I'm a frequent visitor. And agreed, after years of the metro area, I'd consider chewing my foot off rather than drive on 495 commuter traffic. Even the dulles Toll Road I use to commute to Tyson's corner is heinous.

Ah, you lucky bastich. I've managed to visit the Parlor only once and I burn with jealousy. ;)

I'll try to post any news about local events here in case you're interested.

For example, I found out last weekend that there's a fan-organized game con in January down in the Alexandria area. It's mostly cosnole and video, but they do mention tabletop gaming, so I'm thinking a group of us can take over their game room and run some cool RPGs to entice the kids away from their frag-fests. :)

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:21 pm »

This thing still on? *taps mic*

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »

Yeah, yeah  ;D

BZ

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »

Is there anybody out there? *tumbleweed*

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

Hi, I pop in for a look a couple times a week, though things have been a bit slow over the past few months. BHB has some new stuff in the works, but the momentum definitely needs to pick up around here.

Reynard_Dubois

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »

Hey BZ. Just checking in with you. I figured this was the best place to see what's up.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »

Yep - even though me and BHB are slowing in our 'old age' I still check here almost daily  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up