Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pyrokinesis questions  (Read 10563 times)

Dracain

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
Pyrokinesis questions
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »

Hello, I am new to Bounty Head Bebop and while reading through it I was a little confused with pyrokinesis.  I just want to make sure I understand how the skills work.  I understand that ignite creates a standard fire (6SL) unless you use control fire on it to bring it up to 12SL, the damage goes through armor past the first turn.  The confusion comes in with radiate (the flames version) and fireball.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but a fireball would do 18L plus 6SL for the fire damage, and the 6SL could than be upgraded to 12SL with control flames.  the 12SL would than do that much damage each turn until put out.  Same thing goes for radiate.  If this is how it works than my question is, why would someone choose pyrokinesis, strictly from a mechanical standpoint.  I am just curious because I am usually quite a pyro, but telekinesis also sounds nice, and it seems so much better from a mechanical standpoint. 

I also have one more semi-related question.  If a character where to start with all the psychic powers (thus, 20 psychosis) how would they start out?  Would the character start out having undergone therapy?  Or is it up to the DM?  Thanks for any answers I get, I have been loving the system and find it fits the setting perfectly, but I have just had these small questions in the back of my head that I have been wondering about. 

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrokinesis questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:51 pm »

Hi, Dracain - welcome to the Comlink  :)

Let me read over this a minute and I'll answer your questions...

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

...Please correct me if I am wrong, but a fireball would do 18L plus 6SL for the fire damage, and the 6SL could than be upgraded to 12SL with control flames.  the 12SL would than do that much damage each turn until put out.  Same thing goes for radiate...  

Fireball does a flat 18L Damage in an instant and is gone (so it is not subject to Control Flames), but any fires left over are.

Unless a character is trapped in flames or set Ablaze, they only take damage from fire from each individual contact. A character using Radiate while Holding someone would cause damage each round they maintain the Hold, plus if the victim is set Ablaze, that its own additional damage.

Control flames can be used to double the heat of a fire (including Radiate, and Ablaze) – but doing so requires its own Power Roll vs. Psychosis (so there is that risk in doing so too much).

If this is how it works than my question is, why would someone choose pyrokinesis, strictly from a mechanical standpoint.  I am just curious because I am usually quite a pyro, but telekinesis also sounds nice, and it seems so much better from a mechanical standpoint.  

Don’t really have an answer here, just a matter of personal preference I would say.

I also have one more semi-related question.  If a character where to start with all the psychic powers (thus, 20 psychosis) how would they start out?  Would the character start out having undergone therapy?  Or is it up to the DM?

It would be up to the DM. And yes, the character would be unplayable until the Psychosis was reduced to 16 or less via Psychotherapy (in game or thru XP). ‘Starting PC’s’ aren’t meant to start with maxed-out powers, but the GM is free to start characters at any XP level (and gear) he wants to allow.

Thanks for any answers I get, I have been loving the system and find it fits the setting perfectly, but I have just had these small questions in the back of my head that I have been wondering about.

No problem, I hope you get a chance to play or run it – let us know how it goes :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:34:01 pm by BerkaZerka »

Dracain

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »

Thanks for the quick answers.  I was just curious, so I figured I should ask here.  The main wonder was what purpose pyrokinesis really had, because while it had the most damage and combat powers, non of them did as much damage as fling.  Also, assuming someone did use fireball, wouldn't someone hit by it be standing in the fires left over?  Or would they have to be set ablaze to be taking more damage than 18? 

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »

...The main wonder was what purpose pyrokinesis really had, because while it had the most damage and combat powers, non of them did as much damage as fling. 

It's really just a matter of flavor - what style Psychic you want to play (or what type the GM wants to throw at you).

Also, assuming someone did use fireball, wouldn't someone hit by it be standing in the fires left over?  Or would they have to be set ablaze to be taking more damage than 18? 

Someone hit with a fireball would be standing in any fires started by the blast, but could move out of the fires on their turn. They would still have to make a Reaction Save or be set Ablaze however (see fire hazards, p.69 of core book)  :)

BZ

Dracain

• Small Fry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »

Thanks again, that cleared up my questions.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »

No problem  :)

BZ

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:30:58 pm »

If you like Psychic Powers, you might also be interested in our Hexslinging Rules  ;D

(note, you must be logged in to see them I beleive)

BZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up