Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roka's Ki Quest  (Read 16484 times)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Roka's Ki Quest
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:09 am »

Roka still held the bloodied cane in his hand, but the expression on his face revealed nothing as to how he felt inside. Had anyone looked closely, they might have seen his knuckles white from the pressure of his grip – the only hint as to the inner turmoil he felt.

As fate (or cruel irony) would dictate, it fell upon Roka to see that the six young women brought back from the Village of Aomori were publicly beaten, as an example to any who would think to rebel against the Daimyo. Having had time to give the trip to the Village of Aomori some thought, Roka now knew that the villagers had actually been held hostage by the Ronin and Nezumi Mercenaries and were not in rebellion, as had originally been suspected. It seemed a shame to punish them, but duty was a heavy burden that Roka carried unwaveringly.

Having not been instructed specifically about how to go about the beatings, Roka did what he could to preserve the village women’s honor and dignity throughout the ordeal. Still, while not intentionally brutal, Roka delivered the three strokes to each woman with a sharp crack across the back. The strikes were painful and drew blood, but Roka carefully placed them as to do little in the way of permanent damage. In the hands of an expert or cruel caner, three strokes stood a fair chance of killing a woman – especially those as young and fragile as these six.

Following the beatings, the six village women (some unconscious from the suffering) were taken to the Daimyo’s castle to rest and recuperate. Their wounds would be tended and bound, but they would have to heal naturally without the aid of magic as part of the punishment. When they had all recovered sufficiently, they would then be sent back to their village.

Roka relaxed his grip and set the cane down. While his heart ached for the poor village women, he had acted honorably and spared them from serious harm – it could have been much worse had another been in charge of the beatings…
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:03:05 am by BerkaZerka »

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
Re: Roka's Ki Quest
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »

After setting the cane down, and walking out of site, Roka sits down, and gives out a long sigh. It has been a long day, at least, it felt like a long day to him. It is unfortunate he had to cane the women, and he did not enjoy a moment of it. After a couple of minutes, Roka stands back up, and walks around Sendai, trying to calm himself down.

Instead of being calmed, though, everywhere Roka goes causes his stress to increase, seeing objects that remind him of the beating. Sendai isn't the right place for him right now. It's making him crazy.

"I gotta get out of here. At least for now..." Roka mutters, as he quickly goes to Botan Kunda, his Doshin leader, and orders him to keep vigilance, and tells him that he shall be gone for a length of time.

On being asked where, Roka replied, simply, "I don't know."

He returns home, gathers his pack, outfits himself with his armor and guantlets, and begins to walk. Where he is going, even he does not know.

Following his gut, Roka traverses landscape after landscape, and, through sheer coincidence, or fate (as it may be), arrives at his old manostery, the one place he never thought he'd visit again.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:29:03 am »

The great doors to the Monastery open and the monks inside gather. The old Master Roshi looks across the courtyard from the steps of his Dojo and sees a familiar face.

"Ah, it's Roka! Let him in, let him in!"

Then hobbling over to Roka, Master Roshi slaps him on the back - hard enough to nearly knock the wind out of him - "So Roka-san hehe - come back to finally return those Kama Sutra Scrolls you stole from my Monastery the day you left?"

Then shaking his head, old Master Roshi just laughs - "You should probably just keep those, haha!"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:51:50 pm »

Roka shakes his head, smiling, though only faintly. It is clear from his complexion that he is quite troubled.

"Master, I am... Troubled by fate. You know me, I am no philosopher, but even I can tell something is forcing my every action, guiding me on strings. I did not even wish to return here, simply walking with no goal, but something led me here." Roka states. Then, he perks right up, and shakes his head.

"Bah, such musings don't suite me. How is the monastery? It was my home for four years, even if I did not enjoy all the moments here." Roka says, smiling.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

"Oh, we are doing well enough," Master Roshi replies, "but perhaps you are correct in fate bringing you back to us. I always thought you had potential to lean more than what you took with you when you left."

"And if you are troubled, one of the best thing for it is meditation. Come, let us dine together and then we can ponder the meaning of the fates - and besides, I'm sure that you miss Brother Fire-Belly's cooking - how could you not? haha!"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:29:28 pm »

Roka laughs, nodding his head.

"Indeed." Rola says with a grin. "Though, I always wondered why we called him "Fire-Belly". Probably a question best left unanswered though." Roka adds, with a chuckle.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 05:26:11 pm »

"I just assumed it was because he always gives everyone heartburn with his cooking hehe..."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »

Roka laughs.

"Think I can pass the blame of screwing up on his cooking?" Roka says, with a smirk.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:56 pm »

"I'm just glad he isn't called 'Fire-Bottom'! Haha!"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »

"Ha ha!" Roka says, laughing loudly. "Honestky, master, I still have no idea how you're a master in this monastery. Far looser then what I was expecting back when I first came."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:52:59 pm »

"Ah, but there is a time for everything," Master Roshi says with a grin, "Right now it's time to eat and be merry!"

"Unbelievably tortuous, near-death inducing, 'probably going to kill you anyway', KI Master Discipline Training comes later - if you're interested..."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »

"Ah, but there is a time for everything," Master Roshi says with a grin, "Right now it's time to eat and be merry!"

"Unbelievably tortuous, near-death inducing, 'probably going to kill you anyway', KI Master Discipline Training comes later - if you're interested..."

"Indee-..... What did you just say, Master? I could swear my ears decieved me, but I thought I heard something that sounded off. There is no such thing as a Ki Master, right? I mean, I've heard of masters sending Ki ripples through the air, but, they never called themselves Ki Masters. At least, I think so..." Roka says, looking both surprised and perplexed.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:30 pm »

"When you have lived as long as I have," Master Roshi replies in all seriousness, "you learn a few secrets about the way Creation works. Then, after you've lived even longer than that, you begin to think about passing those secrets on to someone else before you go."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »

"But, master.... I hate to admit this, but I am far from your greatest pupil. Far from it, in fact." Roka says, scratching his head.

"I'm honored you consider me worthy, but why? And what do you mean you've learnt of the secrets of creation?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »

"Would it help you decide, if I told you that I was saving my best students for after seeing whether this kills you first?"

Here Master Roshi nudges Roka in the side as if kidding, but still... what if he's serious?

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »

"Well.... I think it's better to discuss this one over food." Roka says, feeling a bit overwhelmed. It's a gamble, it seems, but when has Roka Takemura ever went against a trial? He's Roka Takemura, after all.

"Not that my thoughts would change. I've always survived what you've thrown at me in the past." Roka says with a grin, and then a laugh.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »

Following dinner, Roka was given a small room to stay for the evening (or as long as he wanted) and Master Roshi excused himself for the night.

The next morning, bright and early, Master Roshi had decided on a few challenges for Roka - to help bring out his 'Ki'.

"So, first on the addenda is a simple four-on-one unarmed duel." Master Roshi announces, "You against some of my novice Monks."

Then bringing Roka out into a training ground, Roka sees four monks standing atop an array of tightly spaced posts, four feet off the ground.

"The rules are simple really," Master Roshi says, "You are not allowed to touch the ground. Don't let them throw you off the posts. If you throw them off the posts, they are out as well. You win by being the last one standing on the poles."

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »

"Fun." Roka mutters, shaking his head. "Let's just hope I didn't forget everything I learnt here." Roka says, jumping up onto the poles, thankfully just being able to reach the top of the posts.

"Tell me when they want to start." Roka says with a smirk, preparing himself for a merciless 4 on 1.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 04:44:48 pm »

While Roka's attention is drawn to his aged Master's amused chuckle, the monks decide to take advantage of the distraction. The first monk punches right at Roka, alerting him to their attack.

"Didn't the Master teach you any manners?" Roka asks, smashing his fist into a monk, and again, finally knocking him out. "At least knock out the person you're attacking!" He says with a laugh, as one monk swings, and is easily dodged, while the other doesn't even require focus, as he swings, and nearly topples out of the posts.

Next, Roka jumps up with his leg raised, dodging an ill timed leg sweep, using one of the kick techniques he was taught, and kicks down on the monk's head, knocking him out. Trying to add an extra attack, Roka tries a twisting kick to the monk on his side, but, while it looks amaizing, it is blocked by the monk, which disappoints Roka Immensly.

"Should have been impressed. I would have dealt with you in a nicer way." Roka says, with an annoyed look, as he backhands the monk, knocking him to the ground.

"Just you and me, now." Roka says, motioning for the last monk. "Go for your best shot. No chance it'll work." Roka adds, dropping all his guard.

Of course, his show of bravado fails him, as the monk grabs at Roka's legs, causing Roka to fall over. Miraculously, Roka stays on top of the posts, and, using his strength, flips himself back up, sending the monk on his legs, flying.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:08:53 pm by BerkaZerka »

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:23 pm »

"Good, Good," Master Roshi smiles and nods to the beaten Monks as they gather themselves up.

Then turning back to Roka, he asks, "warmed up for the real challenge now?"

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 05:46:08 pm »

"What are you going to do? Have 5 monks fight me?" Roka asks, amused. Can't get much worse then that ridiculous challenge.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:36 pm »

"No haha!" Master Roshi replies - "I just need you to help me with a little gardening."

Then taking Roka to a walled garden a short distance from the Monastery, Master Roshi takes a sign off the locked gate leading into the garden. When Master Roshi sets the sign down to pull out a key for the lock, Roka is able to see a warning painted on the sigh that reads: "Danger, Strangler Vines. Do not Enter."

After unlocking the gate, Master Roshi explains - "a mischievous Oni planted some evil seeds in our garden, which have sprung up as strangler vines. These pesky weeds have long thorn-covered tendrils that they use to wrap up prey in and slowly bleed them dry - those that aren't choked out immediately that is. Furthermore, the damn things can uproot themselves and move around at night."

"Being daylight now, you don't have to worry about them leaving their spot - just that you have to find them among the other plants of the garden. Oh, and sometimes they bud into more strangler vine plants."

"I don't think this one has budded yet though... at least not more than once, I'm sure. Anyway, I have been saving these vines for a special occasion and I think that you're it."

Master Roshi then smiles and ushers Roka into the garden.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

"....what?" Roka asks, as he is forced through the gate. Looking back, and seeing that the gate is already being closed, he just sighs, as he begins to look around. Best place to look would probably be an area that has lots of vines that happen to be spiked.

Hopefully, that's not a common place.

"Now.... How am I going to actually beat up a plant?" Roka mutters to himself, as he searches. "Damn crazy master...."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 11:00:37 am »

Along the inside wall of the garden are some gardening tools in a small cart, should Roka want a shovel or something...

Looking around, he is impressed with how big the garden actually is - complete with a trickling stream, small bridges, and a wooden pagoda in the center. Plants of all sorts grow everywhere and Roka really has no idea where to start first.

He then spots some long vine-like plants growing up the far wall of the garden, near a twenty foot tall stand of bamboo.

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »

Grabbing a shovel (OOC: Better be a +5 shovel of reckoning....), Roka examines the area, while putting his guantlets back on.

Finding the vine-like plants, Roka tries to use his perception to see if there are any spikes on it. If there are, he's gonna have to attack, in the best possible way...

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »

Moving to the vines covering the far wall, Roka sees that they are 'not the vines he is looking for'.

Apparently, the Strangler Vines are hiding among the bamboo stalks, waiting to ambush anyone that approaches the wall!

Fortunately for Roka, he is 'on his toes' enough, to spot the thorny tendrils just as they lash out of the foliage at him to his right. Leaping out of the way, Roka realizes that the bamboo stalks are giving the Strangler Vines some cover.

He knows where they are, but he'll have to go in there to deal with it 'up close and personal'....

(OOC - combat round intentions please)

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »

"Didn't realize a plant could think that far ahead." Roka mutters, as he swings his shovel at the bamboo stalks, to remove the Strangler Vine's cover. As he does that, he watches out for the vines, setting up one of the old stances he was taught to protect himself from attacks. Hopefully it'll be enough.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 01:02:07 pm »

A Roka chops down a few bamboo shoots - four long thorny tendrils spring out at him!

Disappointingly for the plant, Roka manages to parry all four attacks with his shovel...

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »

Roka smirks, as he drops the shovel.

"Glad to see my skill with a shovel is better then your tentacle skill. Pretty sad on your part, but, you're a plant, so you probably don't care." Roka says, shrugging, as he takes a step back, and leaps at the plant creature, making a focused two handed slam at the plant thing.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:31 pm »

Roka jumps in on the plant and smashes some important-looking stalks with a Crit for 11 Points of Damage direct to Wounds! The plant shudders under the blow and responds with four more thrashing attacks!

The first vine actually hits for 8 Damage, but then the other three miss by a pretty wide margin. Unfortunately, the vine that hit also uses Combo-Attack to make a Grapple Choke. It Crits on the attack, but Roka Crits on the Defence and manages to slip out of it in time!

While not the most threatening thing Roka has ever fought, he realizes that if he gets careless, the Strangler Vines really could end up killing him...

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:44 pm »

"Damn, looks like I'll need to actually try." Roka mutters, feeling the damn throny vine's whip-like attack.

Burning a surge point, Roka quickly remembers an old acupuncture technique that was said to successfully stun anything, and then, with a focused punch, Roka aims at the plants acupuncture points.

Assuming he manages to stun the plant, Roka pauses, while if the plant is not stunned, Roka burns another surge to attack.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 08:03:34 am »

Roka smashes the thorny plant twice more (glad he is wearing his gauntlets) - the first shot apparently not striking anything important; but then the second shot (Crit), actually ripping the thing right off its own roots!

At that, the plant literally wilts over dead and begins oozing green chlorophyll all over the place.

It's a small matter to then dig up the rest of the plant for burning, in order to prevent it regrowing somehow...

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:41 am »

"Well, that wasn't too bad.." Roka mutters, as he clasps his hands together. Grabbing the plant with his guantlets, he carries it back to the Garden entrance, victorious.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »

Master Roshi thanks Roka for his fine work and then has him do a few other odd 'chores' - until Roka begins to suspect that Master Roshi is just playing a trick on him to see how much he can get Roka to do for him while he is there.

True enough, that is exactly what the sly old master has been doing, and he laughs heartily when Roka finally gets wise to the ploy.

But for being such a good sport about it, Master Roshi does spend the next two days in special meditations with Roka - training him in the movement of Ki Energy through his body.

At length, Roka is able to ply the energy at will and has found a new and remarkable path to personal power!

Not Aman

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
  • Bagdhaddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

OOC: So, win?  ;D

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile