Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirito's Secrets of the Shaman  (Read 21129 times)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
Kirito's Secrets of the Shaman
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:44 am »

The Nezumi Shaman 'Split Tooth' waited outside Kirito's door.

"Make sure to bring your outdoors gear, Kirito-san," the short mousy man called, "We're going to have to 'rough it' if you want to learn the ways of shamantic magic."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:33:17 pm by BerkaZerka »

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • A challenge you say? Well i refuse!
    • View Profile
Re: Kirito's Secrets of the Shaman
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »

"Yes, sensei" kirito gingerly replied while getting his gear (mainly all of the stuff he had previously on the journey). Then he walked back to Split-tooth. Eagerly awaiting their journey.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:47:55 pm »

"Good, good; that stuff will all be fine," Split tooth replied.

"Now, we'll head north a few days on the road and then east into the wilderness. There, Earth willing, I believe I can teach you the ways of the Shaman."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:53:10 pm »

"Yes Sensei" he ginerly replied again. "Hmm.. do you know much of these lands we will be traveling trough?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:45:27 pm »

"Yes, I am very familiar with them," Split Tooth Replies, "They're were I originally come from."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:48:03 pm »

"oh really? I suppose you will teach me about the surrounding area aswell sensei?" he asked, as he gestured to to begin their journey.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:46:26 pm »

"Sure," Split Tooth replies, heading out with Kirito.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:01 pm »

"I cant wait to learn Sensei" he replied with happy smile, excited to not go on another kidnapping adventure, as he loathed one certain priest in the company.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:13:17 pm »

Leaving Sendai, Kirito and Split Tooth travel north for five days, covering about a hundred and twenty five miles. They were about fifty miles south of the City of Morioka, when Split Tooth waved his hand at someone off the east side of the road.

"This is where we leave the road Kirito-San," the Nezumi Shaman said, walking into the brush toward the shadowy figure.

Kirito then saw that the mysterious person was just another Nezumi, waiting in the shadows. It wore Ranger's Camouflage and blended into the background amazingly well. Kirito noted that it kept its face wrapped in a scarf and that it carried a short blowgun and some throwing knives.

"Kirito-San," Split Tooth said, introducing the Nezumi 'ranger' to Kirito - "This is my brother 'Thorn'. Thorn, this is Kirito Kirigaya (Emissary of The Five Gods)."

The Nezumi bowed and said with a gruff voice (surprisingly low for a Nezumi), "Where's your other Priest Friend? The one who has you to thank for still breathing..."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »

"Greetings Thorn. I dont know where he is, but i do regret healing him. He proved to be a... rather nasty human. Split-Tooth Sensei has 100 times more honour in life than him." he said, looking serious for a moment.
"But, if it was you who shot that dart, would you care to show me how to use the weapon sometime when i'm not working with split-tooth sensei?" he added with another of his characteristic smile.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:29:46 pm »

"Er - sure," Thorn replies gruffly, "sometime when you're not busy then."

Then turning to give Split Tooth a raised eyebrow (as if to say 'what is he talking about?'), Thorn awaits an explanation.

"I am teaching this good Priest the art of Shamantic Magic," Split Tooth says.

"Oh," Thorn just nods. "That should be interesting."

---

Once the introductions were over, the party of three then headed east, off the road, through increasingly rough terrain, deep into the wilderness. After traveling a full two days, the company came to a range of short, but jagged mountains.

"Almost there," Split Tooth announced. "My ancestral home is in these mountains."

Then Thorn asked abruptly, speaking to Split Tooth - "I suppose you had to burn your 'get out of jail free card' to get the Magistrate to release you?"

"Yes," Split tooth replied, "I am afraid so."

"Great," Thorn replies in a huff, "More favors the Humans get to call in. Oh well, at least the pay is good!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:01 pm »

"Get ouf jail for free card? What are you talking about? and more importantly, more favors the which humans get to call in?" kirito  replied, confused on what they were talking about.

Surely they couldent be talking about HIS daimyo?...

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:35 pm »

"I exchanged some very valuable information to the Magistrate of Sendai, in exchange for my freedom and pardon (concerning the Aomori affair)," Split Tooth replies.

"My brother Thorn asks of it, because it concerns him."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »

"Fair enough." Kirito replied. "I wont ask for the details"
"So, how far is it from here to our destination?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:21:59 pm »

"From here?" Split Tooth replies - "Just another two hours to the top of that peak."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 09:47:07 pm »

"then lets hurry up, i cant wait to get started" Kirito replies as he smiled happily.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 01:50:25 pm »

Traveling up a mountain path, Kirito and his guides come upon a small mountain village of Nezumi - living in fur-covered yurt huts.

The rat-like people stare in wonder at the presence of a human priest - and a large gaggle of Nezumi children run up and start trying to lift Kirito's robes to look under.

"Hey! Get out of there!" Split Tooth scolds them and shoos them back a few feet. Undeterred the children get low to the ground, still trying to look under Kirito's clothing.

"Is it true that human's don't have a tail?" they ask in awe - trying to see for themselves.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »

"yes, its true. Forgive me for showing it." he said with a friendly smile to the children.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »

After settling into the village, Split Tooth and Thorn treat Kirito to a traditional Nezumi feast in his honor - boiled squalor beetles on the half-shell with wild rice and cinnamon baked worm-apples.

Sitting down to dinner, Split Tooth says, "I figure that to make you a Shaman, all you have to do is humble yourself before the Earth god and prove that you can be one with it."

Then slurping some squalor beetle squeezings off a large black beetle shell, he continues, "I have some ideas on how to go about that in the morning. But for now, dig in and enjoy!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »

"Oh, you dident hafto a throw a feast in my honour." Kirito said with surprise, altough not very fond of worm-apples he decided to eat anyway to not offend any of them.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »

Kirito 'enjoys' the feast as best as his taste-buds will allow and makes a good impression on all the Nezumi folk.

The next day, Split Tooth and Thorn take Kirito to a swampy area outside of the village. Of course, a large following of curious Nezumi villagers attend to see what is going to happen next. There, Thorn finds five smooth round medium-sized stones - each about the size of a small melon. He then motions for some villagers with long flat planks; and they move out onto the surface of the muddy swamp - laying planks and running across them.

Five of the Nezumi then take the stones and (using the planks) run out onto the swamp to toss the stones into the muck. The stones sink quickly out of sight. The Nezumi then run back - bringing the planks of wood with them.

Here, Split Tooth turns to Kirito - "You passed the first Challenge already - you humbly partook of our feast. I am glad to see that you are a Priest first and a Samurai second. You honor this village with your great tolerance of their lowly station in life. Seeing the value in all life, regardless of Caste is part of what allows the Shamantic Magic to flow through us."

"Now then hehe," Split Tooth grins - "Your second Challenge is even simpler. Go and retrieve the five stones from the swamp. You may use your magic to assist you in this task, but the stones you must physically remove from the mud with your own mortal hands. Oh, and I wouldn't take to long in there if I were you..."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Kirito attempts to summon a water elemental do help him with this task.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:20 pm »

Kirito successfully summons a Water Elemental (thanks to a Luck Point) - to the 'oohs' and 'ahhs' of the gathered Nezumi.

'How may I serve you Priest?' The Elemental asks telepathically.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »

"Greetings Elemental, my name is Kirito Kirigaya." Kirito replied with a bow. "Now, i am supposed to lift up 5 melon sized rocks with my hands, and might as well bring them here. I need your help so i dont get stuck in anything or drown. Also, can you help me locate them first? dont move the rocks though." he asked.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »

'Of course,' The elemental replies and moves over to the mud to slosh in.

It then sort of allows itself to be absorber into the swamp and is gone. Almost a full minute later, the Elemental rises once again - it's body halfway above the surface of the muck.

'I have located all of them,' it communicates to Kirito, 'This one below where I now stand is the farthest one away from you. If you care to retrieve it, I will show you the rest in the most efficient path back to dry ground.'

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:36 pm »

"This should be interesting." he thought to himself, while beginning to remove his outer robes, leaving his mesh armor on though. he then began walking and if needed swimming towards the elemental. He then breathed in, breathed out a few times before taking a deep breath and dived down.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »

Kirito finds that there really is no swimming or 'diving down' in the thick sticky mud that lies just under the surface of the swamp. It more or less is just a matter of slogging through it and trying not to get stuck.

When he finally arrives at the Elemental, he is happy to feel more solid ground under his feet - though the mud is up to his chest.

Feeling around with his feet, Kirito finds the stone. 'Diving down' turns out to be bending over and planting one's face in the mud - to the uproreous laughter of the Nezumi watching - so Kirito tries another tactic - picking the stone up with both feet and hunching over to bring it up to his hands.

Raising the stone proudly, Kirito shows Split Tooth that he has the first one. The Nezumi cheer in response!

'Only four to go,' Kirito thinks to himself and abruptly realizes that his fingers and toes are starting to feel numb for some odd reason... That is when he sees the three inch long leaches all over his exposed forearms and neck...

"You need to hurry!," Split Tooth calls out - "You don't want to feed them blood-suckers longer than is necessary!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:37 pm »

Kirito quickly asks "Elemental, we need to hurry! And on a side note can i call you Mizu instead?" he said with a little chuckle. "Alright split-tooth!" he replied as he started to  feel lightheaded. "We need to hurry this up.." he thought to himself while quickly saying a quick prayer to the five gods.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:36 pm »

It takes Kirito almost five minutes to slog through the muck to recover all of the stones - partly because he finds holding more than three at a time difficult. At length, he has recovered them all and thrown them up on dry ground.

Hauling himself up at last, his head is spinning and he has already burned a number of Surge Points to shrug off Fainting.

"All done!" he manages to get out with a deep gasp - before everything goes black...

---

The Nezumi villagers gather round the unconscious Priest, who is now white as a ghost from blood loss, and start picking the fat blood-gorged leaches off Kirito.

"Oh boy! Look at these tasty buggers!" and old Nezumi woman giggles - "Guess we'll be having another feast tonight, haha!"

"You think he would have had the Elemental do something about the leaches..." Thorn grumbles.

"I've never seen anyone covered in so many leaches," Split Tooth remarks, "they must really prefer human blood over ours."

"Naw," Split Tooth surmises - "I think it's just the lack of fur makes 'em easier to get their suckers hooked in."

"Hmm... You might have a point there..."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »

Once all the leaches are off and tossed into the dinner pails, Split Tooth casts Restore Vitality on Kirito - and he awakens.

"Congratulations! You did it!" Split Tooth smiles.

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »

Once all the leaches are off and tossed into the dinner pails, Split Tooth casts Restore Vitality on Kirito - and he awakens.

"Congratulations! You did it!" Split Tooth smiles.
"Yay!" kirito said groggily. "whats next?" he asked as he got up from the ground, still feeling a bit lightheaded but he dident let that bother him.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:33 pm »

"The Final Challenge is simply one of Integrity and Trust," Split Tooth sighs - almost like maybe he doubts Kirito's ability to handle it...

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 08:03:39 pm »

"You know... i never cared much for my daimyo. even though i would never say it in any place besides here. I mean, ive heard so many bad things about nezumi, but when i met you proved them all wrong. You are different from us humans in appearence, but at the same time you're not." Kirito sighs. "I guess you can only trust what you see and hear with your own ears and eyes. Anything you might say, i swear on the five gods of creation that i will not say a word about if you wish i dont."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »

"Ah good," Split Tooth replies, "You are truly a man of honor then; and I am glad."

"In addition to teaching you the ways of Shamantic Magic - because I know that you will bring honor to the Five Gods with it - I give unto you a Boon."

Then pausing, Split Tooth looks at Thorn.

Seeing Thorn nod, Split Tooth continues - "I was able to leave Sendai alive, because I traded my life for information to the Chief Magistrate of Sendai. What I am about to tell you, you may not repeat to anyone, as doing so would not only dishonor you, but also the Chief Magistrate of Sendai, and the Mountain Shadow Nezumi Clan."

Seeing that Kirito looks sincere, Split tooth finally spills the beans - "The Daimyos never kill the Ninja Masters they occasionally get their hands on. They secretly let them go - in exchange for their later use if needed. While the Ninja themselves are consigned to die, there is an unwritten understanding between Daimyo and Ninja Master in this regard."

"My brother Thorn is a Ninja Master. I sold his retainer to the Chief Magistrate of Sendai for my life. Now, because you have been so noble, I give you that retainer too. Should you ever find yourself in dire need, send word to us here - and the Ninja of Shadow Mountain are yours to employ for one day."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 09:22:46 pm »

"I did suspect Thorn of being a ninja, when we met him, but i wouldent even dare to guess he was a master. Have no fear, i will not tell anyone about this, even if i wished to tell them. I mean no disrespect but thats one favor i never get to call in. Though i there's one certain priest the world would be better off without" kirito replied with a slight chuckle.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 09:27:38 pm »

"All right then," Split Tooth laughs - "Now about this Shamantic Magic..."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 08:05:29 pm »

Kirito stopped chuckling, though keeping the smile. "Now, lets make the best of it"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »

It takes only four days for Kirito to pick up the ways of Shamantic Magic under Split Tooth's tutelage.

Having a background as an Emissary of The Five Goods really seems to help - as Shamantic Magic is derived from the Earth and Elementalism - and the Earth happens to already be one of the Five Gods that Kirito reveres.

At length, Split Tooth has taught Kirito everything he can.

"The rest is up to you," Spit Tooth says and pats the Priest on the back.

"Perhaps we shall meet again, but I must remain here. Good luck on your Journey back to Sendai."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:09 pm »

"I have no doubt we will meet again Split-tooth sensei." He said bowing. "Is there anyone who can help me find the way back to the road?"

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:49 pm »

"I'll take you back to the road," Thorn says, "And I'll even forge you some traveling papers so you won't have to avoid the way stations."

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 06:03:26 pm »

"Oh, i completely forgot about that!" He said with surprised look. "Thank you, i would appreciate the papers." He bowed down a little some got Thorns height."If you ever need a place to hide when you're in Sendai feel free to use my house. As long as noone sees you entering it's fine with me."

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »

"Wow..." Thorn says in awe - "That is extremely generous of you. But let's hope neither of us ever find ourselves in such a risky position haha!"

Daedalus

• BHB Titan
  • Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 06:19:00 pm »

"Yes, lets hope it wont come to that." Kirito said chuckling.

"Goodbye Slit-tooth sensei" he said bowing again.

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »

After a week long journey, Kitiro finally ends back up in Sendai on the 28th Day of Mid Spring.

Apparently, Sendai is abuzz with excitement over some sort of Tournament for tomorrow that Keitaro has organized ...

END
Pages: [1]   Go Up