Bounty Head Bebop Comlink

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BountyHeadBebop.com | BHB Hardcopy Available at IPR | BHB Products Now Available On-Site | Free Preview Here | GenCon 2015!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forward Unto Dawn.  (Read 8704 times)

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
Forward Unto Dawn.
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »

This is the thread, which after I take a Break from being a GM, Will become my Forward Unto Dawn game.

The premise is based off the halo universe and uses their feature movie series as an idea template. The basic story for non-Halo fans is that in the relatively near furture mankind has managed to spread to the stars and is forming colonies on the nearest habitable worlds and moons. Their tech is much more advanced but recognisable, they still use various guns (just better than we have today) and grenades etc. however there are more advanced weapons too, including large lazer weaponry and gauss cannons but these are expensive and as many know the millitary goes for good and cheap in bulk so these highly advanced weapons are rare.

You are a squad in a military training facility who are getting well into their final year. You are being trained to fight insurgents on the outermost planets who decided they wanted to leave the central earth control and turned to terrorism to get their way.

This is roughly when the unthinkable happens and when the story begins. A very short time ago a confirmed alien race was discovered and they near totally anihilated several small outer colonies. Then they hit a bigger facility with a military outpost just days ago and within hours left only glassed rubble. Basic intel on all the confirmed attackers has been spread through the UNSC databases however not enough is known about them or their technology yet, and the alarms are going off in your base at 3am.

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
  • Miya Sugai (Mythic Nippon)
    • View Profile
Re: Forward Unto Dawn.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:37 pm »

This is the thread, which after I take a Break from being a GM, Will become my Forward Unto Dawn game.

The premise is based off the halo universe and uses their feature movie series as an idea template.

Or you know, you could just dump a bunch of text on them. xD
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Covenant_Empire
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/United_Nations_Space_Command
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Human-Covenant_war
Edit: And another link, for perspective.
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_4:_Forward_Unto_Dawn
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:49:15 pm by Fireplay »
"Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years." -Unknown
“There's always another secret."    “I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »

Haha I was gonna wait on the dumps untill things were fleshed out more :P

Naruyashan

• Small Fry
  • "Under this mask..is another mask!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:45:26 pm »

I am definitely in, or else you and everyone you love dies Forge.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »

Will you be using an established game system to run this?

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »

I will be stealing an existing system, hopefully your inverted system actually.

But yes it will be fully system based and I'm very tempted by your way of putting the die-rolls into the results page (just not sure if I'll do that yet or not)

BerkaZerka

• Administrator
  • BHB Magistrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:30 pm »

Can't say I would recommend putting Die Rolls into the game pages. The reason being that it adds 1 step of lag to the game.

For example, with the Pittsburgh 68 Zombie game, I have to post Die Rolls, and then post the results - that's two steps instead of 1, so it adds time to the GM's job of Updating.

With Pittsburgh 68, it's not too bad - as it is an extremely simple dice system. With BHB, it might become a living hell with all the options a player has when rolling.

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »

Hmm true, I would have alot of rolls to put in there. Might not do all that then, but yeh planning on stealing your system once I test it out alot

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:56 am »

Forge, c'mon, do we really need classified knowledge to figure out what the "Lazer cannon" does?

I mean, its name doesn't exactly leave much to the imagination.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:56:28 am by Drakilian »

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

but lazer cannon isnt actually its name, thats just the rumour ;) also how big is it, how many people does it take to use it, is it vehicle mounted etc. even whats it look like it you walk past it. Thats the stuff you dont know.

Drakilian

• Global Moderator
  • BHB Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:58:42 am »

It's a cannon that shoots lazers to blow shit up, don't lie to me Forge!

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 11:01:46 am »

Oh in a way yes it is, but your chars don't know that for certain lol

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »

Tis obviously a Spartan Gun. lol
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:14:30 pm by Fireplay »
“There's always another secret."    “I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »

Yup it's the spartan laser which I loves, but the Spartans are still un-official rumours at this stage in the war even if good hackers are able to find photos of them in combat

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:38:14 am »

Yup it's the spartan laser which I loves, but the Spartans are still un-official rumours at this stage in the war even if good hackers are able to find photos of them in combat

Technically a video but whatever. lol

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:21:35 pm »

technically a video is a series of photos so...

Fireplay

• Mob Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 08:30:54 pm »

Bump?

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 08:45:20 pm »

I'm working on it still and trying to learn the BHB well enough to use it but there will be more info dumps ver soon

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 02:47:53 pm »

Gidgy just got me the latest extended halo encyclopedia so I can update some things to the newswet official figures, more info tonight :)

Once I finish all the info dumps I'll be converting the weapons, armour etc. into BHB numbers for ease of recognition and put it all into a table so people can see what it actually all means for their chars.

Following that will be the maps and the official sign up sheet. I'm planning on making good speed on this so shouldn't be long before it's close

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »

Ok since other games are on hold, and since I have SOOOO much time free now that my work is as busy as always and I have a newborn... and still playing destiny and Dragon-age (Knight-Enchanter path for the mage has made me all but invincible)...

I have been making progress on this! Working on stating up the char choices and dusting off my maps to see just how close I was. The interior map is nearing completion, then its just an external map needing completed and that, amazingly, should be everything.

A note on the char sheets:
You will be picking from pre-made statted sheets according to the archetype of cadet you decide upon. Most of the stats will be very similar as all cadets have received the same basic training and are expected to achieve the same basic proficiency levels, your specializations will be represented by small differences in the base stats along with the 3 base Edges that you will have (Eg. Marksman will have ranged edges, mechanic will have mechanic related edges). From there all you will have to pick are if you want extra edges at the cost of flaws. These will be restricted to fit into the setting so no 'irrational fear of hamsters' on a planet with no hamsters and no flaws that wouldn't be relevant on a short one off campaign.

Your choice of cadet will also have certain 'off-screen' benefits that are explained or hinted at in the char description pages.

Edit: Progress, Maps are now complete and up for viewing and questions, yes they are not as good as they could be but I am naturally amazing with the ideas and terrible at the art so until I practice a lot and get a good program, this is as good as they will get. I will describe area you enter in better detail as/if you enter them.

I have made the Base template for one of the marine cadets and BZ has agreed to check to see how badly done it is, then I just need to make the adapted versions for the other specializations ans we can get started picking chars. As the stats are pre-made, all that will be needed is some back-story and the choice of extra edges/flaws and we can start right after (Presuming enough people are even still interested.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:24:41 pm by Forge »

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:56 pm »

Just realized that I need to spend the time needed to assign damage and defense ratings for the guns and armor. This shouldn't take too long.

I should start recruiting players this week and start at the weekend if there are enough players, the weekend after if needed.

Maps are up, just checking the player stat sheets for major issues and finishing assigning the in-game damage values for the guns, armor and vehicles.

THis can start pretty dam soon! Wooo only several months late!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:19:49 pm by Forge »

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 07:19:31 pm »

Current Log:

1. Player sheets are generally completed, I am now at the 'Go through and fix all my small mistakes' part, should be fast
2. I have worked up the enemies sheets for all generic enemies from Red-shirts to Elites, Finished edits and extras by Weekend
3. I have gotten all of the appropriate stats for the Vehicles and adapted them as best as I can to halo stats which I pulled from various sources including online,my encyclopedia, and manual testing in forge world. Annoyingly stats vary between games on several vehicles so I have taken an average or had to pick the most appropriate where necessary. Some stats are hidden unless discovered in game. Some are REALLY annoying as things like terrain affects cov. and human vehicles entirely differently, altering speeds and accel etc. This is done for now though.
4. Posted recruitment thread to check interest. I can pretty much start anytime I get enough players though I estimate in a week.
5. Only major thing left to Stat is the guns... I will work on these today or tomorrow as time allows.

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:48 pm »

Ok seriously, next time I GM something I am using a fully pre-made adventure and only have 5 or 6 players...

on that note, current log:

1. Weapons and vehicles all fully stated and checked once. I'm pretty sure I found a good balance between Halo Cannon-Lore and the game mechanics. If there seems to be a major issue, like you all die instantly, then I can alter things a bit, you should all die slowly and painfully, not instantly.
2. All interior instances have been checked over, I knew this would be a lot of work but wow... I reduced my original plan to only a few possible instances in each room/corridor based off time, previous events and area of entry.
3. 3/4 finished with the outside instances now, then just need to cheat-sheet them into a shorter version for my own quick reference (I say shorter version, still a few pages long) This should be done today.
4. Char sheets from players are being posted, keeping an eye on these to make sure they fit the setting and the game.

Forge

• Legendary Cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:19 pm »

Ok had several hours free so made progress :)

The game will start Thurs evening, west coast time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up